Fast Running Blog
May 13, 2024, 11:44:49 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Wisdom teeth and running...  (Read 3752 times)
dave rockness
Posting Member

« on: May 06, 2009, 10:52:05 am »

I just had 2 upper wisdom teeth extracted this morning.  The doctor said no "strenous" exercise for 48 hours to a week.  He made it clear that running fits the "strenous" category and that I should be cautious in returning to my routine.  Obviously, I'm thinking more the 48 hours.  However, I definitely want to recover properly.  First and foremost I will listen to my body.  Does anyone have any further insight in this area?
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 11:03:29 am »

Off of memory, I took 3 days off after getting my wisdom teeth out. Upon returning to running, I had a little bit of bleeding the first day, but was fine after that. I think 2 days off is wise.
Bob
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 12:25:55 pm »

Hi Dave - Walk!  Nothing wrong with taking an 1-2 hour walk in place of running.  You'll consume more oxygen for the day, which is all you are doing with running really, and it definitely wouldn't be considered strenuous.  Endurance fitness doesn't have to be an all or none (run or rest) situation.  Just check out what the old skool endurance athletes did long ago.  Lots of walking.
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 12:28:42 pm »

I think my wife Sarah (Fast Running Mommy) ran the next day after getting her wisdom teeth out. I still have mine.
Bonnie
Posting Member

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 12:45:21 pm »

I waited 3 days and then jogged slowly.  The problem is that you DO NOT want to dislodge the clot that will form in the pocket.  Dry socket is probably one of the most painful things that you can experience ... it is paralyzingly painful (easy to fix though - clove oil is what they use - maybe you could find some at the local health food store just in case -- honestly it is really really painful).
Dallen
Posting Member

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2009, 01:42:45 pm »

I think this is one where you can safely go by feel. If you feel like you could handle a run go for it. If not, don't. Obviously don't try running if you are still drugged up on pain meds.

How quickly you return really depends on how smoothly the procedure went and how your body reacts to it. Some people feel bad for a week. My brother played dodgeball the day of the procedure.
adam
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2009, 01:56:04 pm »

I took a day, and then was back at soccer practice the next day...heavily drugged still. Had all four taken out. Those drugs lingered into the game saturday (three-four days after the surgery), and into my senior prom that night. It was a fun week which I mostly don't remember. Performance in every activity was, well, forgettable..
dave rockness
Posting Member

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2009, 02:50:15 pm »

thanks for the feedback!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: