Fast Running Blog
May 14, 2024, 08:50:23 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Breathing out of breath  (Read 2741 times)
wildbull
Lurker

« on: March 12, 2008, 03:13:48 pm »

I often have difficulty breathing while running> this is normal I think.  But sometimes I get winded after running a couple of miles and maintaining the same pace.  Say 7:00 min pace.      Could this be sports induced asthma?     My breathing eases and I feel better  after another mile or two.    Does any one have any suggestions?   I have read that a lot of London runners have this same problem! 
Adam R Wende
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 03:33:49 pm »

Sounds like it. I had a problem with that back in 1998. I had an inhaler for two years and then stopped using it and it never happened again...
Dale
Posting Member

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 05:27:59 pm »

I'm certainly no asthma expert but I wouldn't figure exercise induced asthma would go away if you continued running at the same pace after a couple of miles. 

Here's a site with some good basic info on it:  http://www.emedicinehealth.com/exercise-induced_asthma/article_em.htm

If your pace stays the same, the breathless feeling happens but then fades at the same pace, it almost sounds like you're getting the proverbial "second wind".  I'd read somewhere that was a sign that your body had warmed up and gotten more efficient; settled in, so to speak. 

I guess I'd look at tracking when it occurred for a while....look at environmental factors like heat/cold, humidity, environmental pollutants, etc.  Time/distance until it occurs and then until it ceases.  Pace fluctuations.  Anything to see if there's a pattern that might help zero in on a cause, or at least a set of triggers.

Then, armed with that info, you might want to consider getting tested so you'd know for sure.
Jim M
Lurker

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 01:14:27 pm »

Hey Wild Bill are you getting a good warm up in before you push your pace up to 7 minute miles? Not doing so can stress your system and cause you to take longer to get into you aerobic calorie burn and possibly be the cause of your dilema.

The other very real possibility is asthma and your symptoms certainly match those of an exercise induced attack, try a longer warm up first and if that does not seem to work head to your doctor for a lung function test. Having denied I had asthma for several years before I finally came to terms with it I can tell you that seeing the doctor was the best thing I ever did for my running it is amazing what oxygen will do for your system.

I hope this helps
Jim
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: