Fast Running Blog
May 14, 2024, 06:34:18 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Favorite Inspirational Running Quotes  (Read 5051 times)
Virginia
Lurker

« on: February 03, 2010, 01:02:04 pm »

Hi!  I'm a lost sheep making my way back to the fold.  I love all of you even though we haven't met. Smiley

Can we share our favorite running words of inspiration here?

I used to have some of Sasha's words hanging up in my house... I wish I could find them now... something about giving up less important things to have focus and become truly great.  Does that ring a bell?  I'd love to have those words again.  I think I just copied it down from his blog one day. 

Anyway, you are all heros to me.  Please share your wisdom here!  Thanks!!!
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 01:08:59 pm by Virginia Faber » Logged
Steve P
Posting Member

« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 11:05:22 pm »

You should check out http://kelli.fastrunningblog.com

You might have to go back a few weeks or months, but she has a lot of good ones.
John Nevels
Lurker

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 11:12:14 am »

Your biggest challenge isn't someone else. It's the ache in your lungs and the burning in your legs, and the voice inside you that yells "CAN'T", but you don't listen. You just push harder. And then you hear the voice whisper "can". And you discover that the person you thought you were is no match for the one you really are.
Superfly
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2010, 01:04:53 pm »

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." Pre
Virginia
Lurker

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2010, 02:32:40 pm »

Your biggest challenge isn't someone else. It's the ache in your lungs and the burning in your legs, and the voice inside you that yells "CAN'T", but you don't listen. You just push harder. And then you hear the voice whisper "can". And you discover that the person you thought you were is no match for the one you really are.

Love it!  Thanks!  Thanks for all the great leads.  Please keep them coming, anyone and everyone.
Bonnie
Posting Member

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2010, 02:27:33 pm »

"A runner is a miser, spending the pennies of his energy with great stinginess, constantly wanting to know how much he has spent and how much longer he will be expected to pay.  He wants to be broke precisely the moment he no longer needs his coin." -John Parker, Once a Runner

"Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish. " John Quincy Adams

The will to win means nothing if you haven't the will to prepare. Juma Ikangaa

"Most mistakes in a race are made in the first two minutes, perhaps in the very first minute."
Jack Daniels, Exercise Physiologist and Coach

"Train smarter not harder" - unknown physiologist
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2010, 11:42:32 am »

I like the one from Juma Ikangaa that Bonnie just mentioned. Incidentally, he is the fastest of everybody quoted so far, unless the "unknown physiologist" has run 2:08 marathon or faster.

If I get to live long enough one day I will write a book "Psychological profile of a sub-2:10 marathoner". All of those guys seem to have something in common, not just a smooth form, and a solid aerobic system. They seem to have a rather common approach to life that reminds me of Rudyard Kipling's: "The tumult and the shouting dies; The Captains and the Kings depart: Still stands Thine ancient sacrifice, An humble and a contrite heart." Not that all of them are of Christian faith (although incidentally most are), but regardless of their religious disposition they have the ability to lay aside the noise of the world and focus on the essence.

It is perhaps for that reason that I would really like to see a sub-2:10 marathon to be a really big deal, a bigger deal than being good at ball games. You do not get there without learning how to lay aside the noise of the world and focus on the essence. Our country would be a much better place if our heroes were the people that are good at that.
Bonnie
Posting Member

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2010, 01:01:33 pm »

Nice post Sasha, although I think there are many athletes that are as impressive as a sub 2:10 marathoner I agree with your sentiment.  However,  I think that the fictitious Quenton Cassidy is faster than Juma Ikangaa  Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: