Fast Running Blog
May 04, 2024, 12:15:52 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Poll
Question: What are the most important things you want at a 5K?
Certified accurate distance - 7 (33.3%)
Great shirt - 2 (9.5%)
well organized - 9 (42.9%)
raffle prizes - 2 (9.5%)
awards - 1 (4.8%)
race swag - 0 (0%)
late morning start - 0 (0%)
early morning start - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 20

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: 1st Annual Running of the Leopards 5K--March 2009  (Read 14970 times)
Bill Cobler
Lurker

« on: January 25, 2009, 05:26:41 pm »

Welcome to the new fastest 5K course in Utah.  At least I think it should be.  It will be held March 28th, 2009.  It will be the first race in the 2009 USATF LDR circuit for the season.  We have prize money and ton's of PR's, and did I mention the prize give-aways.  Tech shirts and a quality race to kick off the year.  The race is certified.  Starts by the Hogle ZOO and finishes on the East high track.  We will shuttle runners to the start or you can jog up to the start for a nice warm up.  Save some $ by registering early.   Go to east.slc.K12.ut.us to fill out and print your entry.  All entries must be mailed or taken to East High School office.   This will be a race that you don't want to miss.  Start a tradition, and see how many years in a row you can do it.  If you want any other info contact me here and I will check it often.  WHO'S DOING IT.  Add a comment if you are planning on running it.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 04:36:16 pm by Sasha Pachev » Logged
allie
Posting Member

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 02:28:59 pm »

sounds like it will be a fun race. i'm planning on it. do you know where i can find the 2009 LDR circuit schedule???
Bill Cobler
Lurker

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 07:27:21 pm »

The 2009 Utah USATF LDR Circuit schedule has not been finalized yet.  We need the final paperwork and contracts from a few remaining race directors, but it will be listed shortly on the USATF website.  Find last year results there now at WWW.UTAH.USATF.org hit the Road racing (LDR) and it will take you there.  It has info on the scoring, prize money, how to participate...  It is open to all levels and is a fun way to keep motivated and challenge yourself no matter how big your goals are.  I think many people get scared off from participating in the circuit, thinking it is only for the elite, but it is for everyone.  We need to increase numbers so be a part.  Many FRb FAITHFULS participate each year and it is nice to put a face with your blog name. It is a great family event that goes all summer.  I enjoy seeing more youth at the road races, they are the future of a sport we all love.
allie
Posting Member

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 01:11:54 pm »

yes, i am planning on participating this year. do you generally select the same races each year, or do you mix it up?
Bill Cobler
Lurker

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2009, 10:23:55 pm »

We have dropped a few from last year but added some new ones too.  I'm pleased to hear that you will be doing it.  It is a lot of fun and I've been told several times that the circuit is what has kept many people running each year.  I hope we can improve and get our numbers back up.
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 08:49:24 am »

New circuit schedule is here:

http://www.usatf.org/assoc/ut/ldr.htm
James Moore
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009, 08:13:01 pm »

I'll be doing this race. My 5K PR is my oldest and it needs to go!
Bill Cobler
Lurker

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2009, 08:10:14 pm »

Hey this is a family event so everyone come and have a good time.  Whether you walk or run it will be worth doing.  We will have great raffle stuff and with your bib we are working out zoo discounts, maybe a two for one deal.  Papa John's Pizza is now another sponsor and so we will have free pizza coupons and discount tearoff tags for deals at Papa John's on all bib numbers.  I thought we would see more bloggers coming so register soon before prizes increase.  I will bring entries to the SLCtrack club 15 K Sat. 28th and if you want to fill it out I will get it to the school.
Laurie Pope
Lurker

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2009, 08:01:03 pm »

I laughed when I found the registration forms for this on my car and no one else had them..........could it have been the just run 26.2 stickers on my car? Hmmmm
Bill Cobler
Lurker

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2009, 04:16:57 pm »

Yes I couldn't help myself.  You know teenagers, I tried to get my son to take you one but he thought it would be weird.  We want everyone to come we want a big race and the prep work is going well.  We now have creamies on broad for a nice treat after.  Customized bibs have been ordered and look great. Whether someone is a runner or a walker we want to kick off their spring with a thought of fitness.  I am reading a book, SPARK, It is a study of how exercise is not only good for the body, but the real benefit is for the brain.  We have signs throughout the school advertising the race that say, "Fit kids are smart gets".  This book confirms it.  It also has an interesting section on HGH that the body produces with interval work.  Arod maybe should have read it instead of calling his cousin for that quick fix.
allie
Posting Member

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2009, 04:50:07 pm »

you are doing a great job advertising for this race. i saw a sign at liberty park this morning, as well as the giant billboard just past 800 S. on 1300 E. with all these signs i am sure turnout will be great, and i am way excited to run this course!!!!
Bill Cobler
Lurker

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2009, 11:47:16 am »

Just a quick reminder the entry fees will be going up next week, so please get a form sent in asap.  We are offering a family rate so check it out.  This race is a fund raiser for the PTSA that helps with events throughout the year.
Bill Cobler
Lurker

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2009, 12:08:11 am »

Things are moving fast in preparing for the race.  We are planning for an awesome race.  Rates for pre registration do go up the 19th, but here's a heads up, if you are registering a family of four it is only $15 per person and this includes a tech shirt that costs us that much with printing.  So it's like 4 free raffle tickets, a great race, a 2 for 1 admission to the zoo with your custom designed bib, Papa John's Pizza coupons for a free pizza, bagels, fruit, creamies,  and a PR.  And all you pay for is the coolest shirt you will run all summer in.
Hope to see you all there.
James Winzenz
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2009, 12:28:30 pm »

Geez, sometimes I wish that we lived in Utah so that we could take advantage of all these awesome races.  Sounds like this is going to be awesome, Bill.  Wish I could be there.
maryannsc
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2009, 05:03:34 pm »

What is swag?  All the free stuff you get, not counting the raffle or prizes won for placement?  In reply to the poll, I would like to add that the most important thing in a race to me is having deep cash prizes, so I guess that fits under awards.  I just wanted to specify that so you don't think a trophy or medal is what I'm going after.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 05:07:03 pm by Mary Ann Schauerhamer » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: