Fast Running Blog
May 04, 2024, 02:41:03 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Boston 2009  (Read 30414 times)
Susanna Lew
Lurker

« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2009, 03:58:50 pm »

I'm taking a red-eye flight Fri night, arriving at Boston at 10:30 am Sat.  We'll hit the expo in the afternoon, perhaps meet up with some friends for a 4 miler before dinner and catch the Red Sox game Sat. night.  We'd like to find a Sacrament Mtg. for Sunday morning, relax in the afternoon, then head to the pasta dinner and hit the sack early.  Last year I walked the Freedom Trail on Tue. and did some shopping.  It was the perfect recovery activity.  There are lotsa good places for lunch.  My favorite was this little Japanese noodle shop on Hereford, the last little incline street you'd run on before turning left onto Boylston where you'll be "carried into Runner's heaven" over the roaring sound of the cheering crowd.   
Jeff Linger
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2009, 11:26:05 am »

where you'll be "carried into Runner's heaven" over the roaring sound of the cheering crowd.   

Out of curiosity, how does this work? Is there a volunteer sign-up? Do I get to pick who I want to carry me?

Are we anywhere with the lunch thing then? Are you saying you're in or out Susanna?
Burt McCumber
Posting Member

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2009, 06:39:04 pm »

Can everyone please post your bib numbers so we can track from where ever we are?  You guys are the awesome.  Best of luck to you!
Greg Harris
Lurker

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2009, 11:16:01 pm »

I am bib #1249.  Goals are 2:39 in ideal weather conditions and top 250 overall place.  If conditions are bad, then I am just going for the best place possible.  Maybe top 200.
Jeff Linger

« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2009, 12:24:38 am »

I'm bib # 5857 and shooting for a 2:57:00 if all goes according to plan. This might be a big jump as my only other marathon last April was 3:11:30, but I should be under 3 hours if all goes well. Weather looks good with temps in the upper 40s and lower 50s. Don't know about the wind, but the course looks like it runs from the Southwest to the Northeast, if any sort of southerly wind occurs it should help us out, if its from the North we might be fighting it a bit in the beginning. Not sure how the temperature change as we get closer to Boston will influence potential winds. Any Boston vets have anything to say about winds on the course?

Just checked the current 10 day forecast at weather.com. They're calling for winds on sunday night of 5mph from the NNE with race day winds from the ENE at 8mph on race day. Looks like we'll be running directly into the wind, but not too much of it.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 12:30:04 am by Jeff Linger » Logged
jtshad

« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2009, 10:09:46 am »

Bib number 1082, goal 2:35 (top 100, top 20 master).  Looking forward to a good run and having some fun with friends in Boston.

Hope the weather holds and the winds are light (and the rain holds off!). 

Good luck to all the FRB Boston runners!
Mark Olson
Lurker

« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2009, 10:17:23 pm »

The current forecast for Monday in Boston is 41 degrees and possible showers.  I've never run Boston and have never run a marathon in weather this cold.  Any advice on what to wear?
jtshad

« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2009, 07:59:09 am »

Weather forecast keeps changing...now showers in the evening and partly sunny during the day, winds out of the east (great a headwind, as usual)... predicting chaos is so easy!   

With these conditions, I am current planning:  shorts, singlet, arm warmers, long sleeve throw away to start or light rain/running vest, light gloves, maybe an earband or running cap.   BUT, I am bringing the full gambit of options and reserve the right to change my mind!  My gear bag may be full!

It kind of depends on how hot/cold you run.  I think shorts should be fine for most people, gloves a good idea.  Short vs. long sleeve shirt is more up to the individual. 
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2009, 08:41:37 am »

In previous years, you could go online during the race and use athlete tracker to see every 5k split real-time for athletes.  You only needed the bib number.  Now, it appears they have changed it so only the athlete can register certain cell phone numbers or email addresses to receive messages for each 5k.  Is this correct?
jtshad

« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2009, 10:04:43 am »

From the FAQ page on the website:

The B.A.A. will broadcast every 5Km split to its website and family and friends can track your progress by logging in and entering your name or bib number. The "face" of the Boston Marathon website will change on race day and the process on how to enter the search will be clear.

The AT&T Athlete Alert program allows messages to be automatically delivered any US mobile phone, a pager, or any email address. Alerts will be broadcast when your runner crosses the starting line, reaches the 10K, half marathon and 30K marks, and from the finish line.

Runners or their family and friends can register in three ways:

1: Simply text RUNNER to 41234. You will then receive an SMS text message confirming how to complete registration.

2: You can also visit the AT&T Athlete Alert Sign-Up page at the race website, www.baa.org, and sign up there.

3. If you prefer to register in person or have questions, representatives will be available in the Bib Number Pick-up area at the John Hancock Sports & Fitness Expo, Friday, April 17, from 2:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m., and Saturday and Sunday, April 18 and 19, from 9:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m.
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2009, 10:18:33 am »

Ah, thanks.  It was the first one I was looking for.  To sign up for the AT&T one, you have to know the runner's birthday, which makes it sound like they only want the runner or immediate family to sign up.
James Winzenz

« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2009, 02:40:24 pm »

Don't forget that Universal Sports is providing a free webcast of the entire marthon!  www.universalsports.com.  I am considering going in to work a little late on Monday so that I can see whether Ryan is able to win or not.
Rhett
Lurker

« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2009, 04:02:37 pm »

The current forecast for Monday in Boston is 41 degrees and possible showers.  I've never run Boston and have never run a marathon in weather this cold.  Any advice on what to wear?

Boston cold is different than Utah cold with the humidity in the air and the wind off the ocean as you approach the finish.  In 2007 I wore a light running jacket and took it off once for about a mile before I got way cold.  It was also raining so we were wet.  I hope it stays dry for us.  I was much colder in Boston 2007 than I was in SGM 2008 where I was only wearing shorts and a singlet.  I say bring layers that you are willing to shed or can tie arournd your wiast.
Michelle Lowry

« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2009, 07:51:10 am »

It says Boston coverage is live starting at 9:30 ET but all I can see right now is a Goucher nike commercial on universalsports.  Anyone else having better luck?
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2009, 08:31:01 am »

Michelle - try this:

http://www.justin.tv/live24live
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: