Fast Running Blog
May 18, 2024, 08:35:52 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Aid Stops during training  (Read 8771 times)
James Winzenz
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2009, 11:15:36 am »

In terms of proper hydration, if your urine is consistently the color of apple juice, you are dehydrated and need to drink more water.  Don't worry so much about what it looks like after a long run, but what it looks like normally.  My two cents about rehydrating/refueling - I don't particularly worry about it for runs less than 10 miles unless it is very hot out.
Fredrick Teichert
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2009, 09:28:11 pm »

Apparently none of you run in the same crowd as those sissy boys (girls) who carry a bottle of water with them wherever they go. The guy that wrote that "Drink Tons of Water or Die" book wouldn't like any of you very much, either. However, he's not putting in as many miles as you are.
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2009, 10:00:19 pm »

Speaking of putting in miles, that actually does make a difference- namely, speed.  Some of the faster runners on the blogs will do 20-22 mile runs in less than 2-2.5 hours.  Some of the slower runners will do 20-22 mile runs in 3.5-4 hours, or longer.  If you are running for a longer time and especially out in the heat longer, drinking on runs does become more important.  For me, a 12-13 mile run in the summer heat is about as far as I go without at least a drinking fountain break, but that is only 90 minutes or so.  If 12 miles takes 2 hours, water would probably be more advisable.
James Winzenz

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2009, 09:59:11 am »

hear hear!  I totally agree with that.  When I say I will go up to 10 miles, I am usually assuming no more than 90 minutes.  And in the summer heat here in Mesa, all bets are off!  At that point, I will usually go no more than 6 miles without rehydrating, because even at 4 in the morning the temps are already about 90 degrees!  I think it all boils down to being able to listen to your body.
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2009, 10:23:17 am »

It's funny how the body adjusts though. I lived in Mesa, worked in Tempe the summer before my senior year of college XC. Being a college student, I was too lazy to get up early, so I would run at 5PM after work, in the heat of the day. Coming from Michigan, it was unbearable at first. I just couldn't believe how hot and dry it was. I would run with a Camelbak during my first month there. By July, I would leave the Camelbak at home, but make sure I would go through a park or two during the run for the water fountains. By August I was doing 10-12 mile runs with no water at all. I have fond memories of going out to South Mountain and just running on the trails for 60 to 90 minutes, usually without water. Simply awesome trails out there, I loved it. When I got back to Michigan, I felt like a beast, everything was so much easier. It was kind of like altitude training; my body adjusted and became more efficient.

I'm not sure I could get away with that now. In college, I was young and invincible. Now I'm old and broken down.
James Winzenz

« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2009, 01:50:07 pm »

You are a beast.  I have overheating issues in the hot weather - even had them growing up in Michigan.  I have had my share of experiences with heat exhaustion.  Has something to do with my oh-so-fair complexion . . .
Fredrick Teichert
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2009, 10:58:26 pm »

Not having to find/carry water and fuel has already made my routes more flexible and cut down on the amount of time I have to set aside for my runs. Though I can't come close to matching your speed, this is one thing I can do like the elites on the blog. We'll see how I have to adjust as the seasons change and my speed increases.
adam

« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2009, 12:09:45 pm »

Not having to find/carry water and fuel has already made my routes more flexible and cut down on the amount of time I have to set aside for my runs.

when the running is too stressful, it stops being fun. more flexibility = more enjoyment.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: