Fast Running Blog
May 15, 2024, 10:21:43 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Poll
Question: Do I need to do specific downhill training for the St. George marathon?
downhill training? - 5 (100%)
heat training? - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 5

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Downhill training for St. George?  (Read 3268 times)
Shauna
Lurker

« on: May 27, 2008, 01:58:14 pm »

I am running the St. George marathon this year for the first time, and I have heard about the legendary downhill second half.  Do I need to incorporate some downhill training into my runs?  I don't want to trash my quads.  Also, the only downhill stretch that is long enough here would require a run up a mountain, followed by the run down.

Also, with the HOT Arizona summer coming, should I adjust my pace or any other aspect of my training?  I will be running in the mornings, but sometimes it still doesn't go below 90 degrees.  So far, I have been acclimating OK.

Thanks!
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 02:32:45 pm »

Yes, try to train downhill once or twice per week. Running up an incline and then back down is a great way to go. It is ideal to find a stretch of at least 5 miles solid downhill. Longer is preferable. Most of my downhill-specific training runs have included a run up, since I'm too lazy to run a shuttle.

Regarding heat, your body will adjust itself to the proper pace. Just run by feel and don't be disappointed or try to "run through it" when you're not hitting the splits that you're used to. I did an internship in PHX the summer before my senior year of XC, and did all my running at 5PM after work (again, too lazy to get up early). So all of my running was in 110 degree heat. Eventually I got used to it, to the point of where I didn't need to take any water during an 11-mile run (not recommended). When I got back to Michigan, I felt faster and more efficient, so I think it may have helped. But I never worried about pace while running in the heat, and just ran by time instead of distance. Besides slowing down your pace, I would recommend taking an electrolyte drink after every run (Nunn and Camelbak Elixr are both great). Weigh yourself before and after runs, and make sure that you replace the fluid you lost.
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 03:18:35 pm »

Most of my downhill-specific training runs have included a run up, since I'm too lazy to run a shuttle.
You know you are a runner if you say something like the above.
Michelle Lowry
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 03:44:40 pm »

I run up and down mountains too.  There is a stretch of St George from mile 8-12 I think that starts with the Veyo hill which will slow you down perhaps 1 minute, then miles 9-11 or 9-12 are slight uphill.  So the run up can help you for the uphill portion of the race, and then the downhill will help pound your legs.  I agree with Paul, try to find a 5 mile or longer downhill you can do, but I would only do it once a week, not twice.  My quads tend to be sore from the downhill for days, so if I did them twice a week I would be sore all the time.  But a 5 mile downhill is not as likely to thrash your legs as a ten mile downhill, so it depends on the downhill course you decide to train on.
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 04:07:01 pm »

Downhill running is about proper movement more than it is about muscular endurance. The good news is that once you learn how to run to downhill, you only need occasional refreshers to keep your skill current. An idea is to try barefoot strides first flat, then down a slight grade to learn to land properly before you start practicing downhill running. When running downhill, do not be afraid of the speed. Try to avoid breaking. If you do it barefooted you will either learn not to break or it will hurt. Also, do not be afraid if you are starting to breathe too hard. Just keep going fast. What happens (I think) is that once your legs start going fast your brain starts thinking, oh, no, she is going to be in oxygen debt soon if she goes that fast, and starts stimulating the breathing muscles to work quicker as well. Then it sees they are working quicker and sends the legs a signal - hey, not so fast. So you get a double wammi - you are running slower, and you are breaking more which pounds down your quads. If you have a heart rate monitor, try running your 10 K pace effort flat, figure out what your HR is at that effort, and then do what it takes to get your HR to that level on a downhill. If you are able to, chances are you are running downhill properly.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: