Fast Running Blog
May 16, 2024, 04:04:26 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New Runner  (Read 4404 times)
Brett F
Lurker

« on: May 02, 2008, 10:22:05 pm »

I didn't see a new member's section, so I apologize in advance if this is the incorrect section or not a standard operating procedure. 

My name is Brett Fairley and I'm a completely out of shape 31 year old man (5'10" 215 pounds) who just started running about a month ago.  I've been looking for a goal to set and landed on one that should keep me busy for a while and what led me to this website through a google search of "Boston Marathon qualify."

I'll admit to this looking like an excited new runner setting a goal that will never be achieved.  I've been here before, in position to set goals, and no where near in position to achieve them.  Running has always felt like a job I hated though and was always just a means to achieve another goal which was normally weight loss.  This time around though, I have completely caught the bug.  It's like a sickness and a completely new feeling for me.  Not only do I tolerate running now, I absolutely love it now and get excited just knowing that I'm going for a run the following morning, afternoon, or whenever.  I've actually woken up lately even before the alarm clock, having to sit around waiting for the sun to come up for me to go running and I am the poster child for late risers my entire life.

I've been keeping up with my mileage on a different website, but there was no area on that calendar to keep a diary (just a numbers thing).  I can be a wordy person, especially in print, so I'm thinking I may have found a home for my constant rambling.

I have a long way to go before I qualify for the Boston Marathon, but I know I will get there.  I welcome any advice or criticism to my plan, speaking of which...

My original goals were to, probably by the end of the summer, be able to run 10 miles straight, and to log at least a sub-24 minute 5K.

With that in mind, I orignally started out on the Higdon 10K Novice plan.

I have now worked my way onto the Higdon 5K Intermediate plan as the long run distances are right in line with what I am currently running and what I'd like to be running in the near future.  It also introduces me to speed work and tempo running on Wednesdays.  It also helps that a good friend of mine is also running under this plan and we're both running in the same 5K race in June.

I have also committed to run my first half marathon in December with another friend and plan to run my first marathon in February of next year.

My "long term" goal is to qualify for the Boston Marathon before moving up in age class to the next level.  That gives me 3 much needed years to do so.  Granted, I'm certainly not planning to qualify next year, so we're actually down to a 2 year window.

I have back logged the past month to the best of my memory at:

http://jplvr.fastrunningblog.com/

Glad to be here and hope to contribute as much as possible.
Brett F
Lurker

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2008, 11:26:13 pm »

I'm already seeing something in the general philosophy around here that I like.  Just to have a plan or schedule to work from, I've been working under Higdon schedules and looking to Runner's World a bit for suggestions.  I know I don't need to be increasing my mileage too quickly, but days like today drive me nuts.  I'd much rather be running today than having a "mandatory" rest day... especially not 2 of them in a week although Mondays are supposed to be strength days on some of the Higdon schedules.

Just to be clear:  The gerneral feeling around here would be for me to run 3 miles a day minimum for at least 6 days a week, with at least one day of longer running.  I say "3 miles a day minimum" as I can run 3 miles at an easy pace and be recovered very well by the next day.

As far as increasing my mileage too quickly goes, I don't foresee that as being a problem.  I pushed it too hard pretty early on and considering how much I hated not being able to run during that recovery, I don't want it happening again.  I'd rather be logging miles and it seem a little too easy than push it too far and be stuck not running at all.
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2008, 09:35:01 am »

Welcome, Brett!  Looks like you set some good goals for yourself.  You are correct that this blog generally emphasis consistency- no need to take 2 days off a week if you don't feel like it.  An easy 3 miles is as good as, and probably better than, an extra day off.  Running every day, even just 2-3 miles, is the first step towards meeting your goals.  As for increasing mileage, generally you can increase pretty quickly up to 30 miles per week, depending on your background.  Beyond that, increasing 10% or about 5 mpw every 2-3 weeks is a good rule of thumb.  Your mileage will get as high as you want fairly quickly even with that rule.  You will want to increase it quite a bit before your half marathon or especially your marathon.

I think you will find that your weight will start to drop once you get above a certain mileage- I don't know what it is for your body, but you'll get there.  No worries. 

I only have one question- if you wake up before your alarm clock, why do you wait around for the sun to be up before you go running?  Just go then!  I know jtshad and myself are often starting our morning runs at 4:15 am or so- nothing is too early! Smiley
jtshad
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2008, 07:37:11 am »

Welcome Brett to the world of running and the FRB.  You won't find a more supportive community of fellow athletes around (true of both, believe me!).   I echo the things that Jon has said.  You are on your way (with a plan, a goal, the motivation, etc.)  Work you way up in distances trying out the different race distances along the way for encouragement and motivation (5K, 10K, 10M). 

Also, I agree with Jon that you really can't beat early morning runs.  They are a great way to start your day, the best time to run to burn fat, a good way to ensure you don't run too fast (hard to run fast when you are still waking up).  Plus, as you get used to it, it is a great way to get into 2-a-days, which have a lot of benefits for increasing you mileage as it starts getting above 35 miles or so.

So, keep running strong, keep blogging, keep asking questions and you will achieve your goals!
Brett F
Lurker

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2008, 07:47:10 pm »

I already like running in the morning, but before first light?  I'm not quite there yet. Smiley  Maybe when it really starts to heat up here.

6 miles logged today, so I'm well on my way to 20+ for the week.

I thought the weight would've started dropping by now, but I've been eating like a horse lately and not gaining any weight.  I'd much rather eat more and be stuck at the same weight, but have the energy to keep running as it's become my main focus lately.  If I'm getting close to 30 per week in a month or so and still not dropping any weight, I might start looking at my diet a little harder.
Michelle Lowry
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2008, 09:57:44 pm »

Getting out there and running is the best way to get to your ideal running weight.  I typically can't lose weight until my miles are in the 40's if I am a little overweight or until they are in the high 50's if I am already in medium shape.  You just gotta eat while running!  One thing you can do is help keep your metabolism up during the day by running in the morning, and walking or doing a low impact cross training in the evening.  Also eat less after dinner.  I think it's the after dinner munchies that get us (ok perhaps they just get me).  I think you can build up your miles 5 miles per week with one reduced mileage week a month, until you get to 50 miles with no problems, but mileage increases really should be individualized, based off you experiences in the past, to what degree you are injury prone, your level of risk tolerance, etc.

Happy running!
Dawson Hinton
Lurker

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2008, 11:03:54 pm »

Also eat less after dinner.  I think it's the after dinner munchies that get us (ok perhaps they just get me).

You don't really think that you are the only one with that problem do you? 

Anyway, welcome to the blog.  I second everything which has been said.  I was in your shoes (no pun intended) when I started.  In fact, when I started I couldn't even run for 2 minutes on a treadmill without resting!  I am far from my goals, but with the help of the other runners on this awesome blog, I am making progress.  I know that if you follow your plan and listen to the advise you get here, as well as your own body (most important), you will do awesome!  Good luck and happy running.
Brice
Lurker

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2008, 09:44:01 am »

As many have said welcome, I am also a newbie to this site and have received nothing but friendly, helpful, and good advice.  I started by looking for training plans too that had me taking 2 or 3 days off per week and then saying I would be ready to run a marathon in 10 weeks.  I took this sites advice of running everyday and I feel great.  Good luck and keep on running
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: