Fast Running Blog
May 28, 2024, 10:18:54 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Sub-2:45 group for St. G  (Read 12973 times)
Dustin Ence
Posting Member

« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2008, 12:30:00 pm »

My long-term goal right now is to break 2:40.  The last two years I've felt like I ran the first half too slow.  This year I'm hoping to be around 1:20 for the first half.  I'm sure I'll try to meet up with anybody I can before and during the race.  Last year Kory and I helped each other out quite a bit, until I faded around mile 14.
Kory Wheatley
Posting Member

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2008, 02:49:11 pm »

Good luck Dustin I know you can get under 2:40, because you were close there for a while.  If your hip would not have acted up we could have finished together I totally believe.  I probably won't see you do it since I most likely won't be down there to run this year, but when you blog about it that will be cool.
Michelle Lowry
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2008, 02:51:39 pm »

Craig - you got your singlet yet?

Dustin - If I have a perfect race I might be closer to 2:40, but I certainly won't be trying for a first half of 1:20.  I'll say hi to you at the start then I'll see you at the end.
Kory Wheatley
Posting Member

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2008, 03:09:19 pm »

Dustin I believe you could do the first half at 1:23 and negative split the second half over 3 minutes.
AndyBrowning
Posting Member

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2008, 04:05:51 pm »

Dustin I believe you could do the first half at 1:23 and negative split the second half over 3 minutes.
He would have to negative split it 6 minutes to go under 2:40 (1:23/1:17).
Dustin Ence
Posting Member

« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2008, 05:22:13 pm »

Michelle it will probably be like Hobble Creek, you'll coming flying by me with about a mile or two to go.
Michelle Lowry

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2008, 06:18:33 pm »

He would have to negative split it 6 minutes to go under 2:40 (1:23/1:17).

In my mind it's a wiser plan to try to negative split 6 minutes than to try to go 1:20, 1:20.  Perhaps we should take a vote and tell Dustin to go for a 1:22?  Cheesy
Dustin Ence
Posting Member

« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2008, 10:20:38 pm »

Actually, I'm trying not to get to worked up on times and paces yet.  Last year I spent too much time thinking about different paces and stressing about things the week going into the marathon.  This year I feel like I'm in better shape, so I'm just going to in feeling confident I can run a PR and then see where my training takes me.  I do know I struggle more on some of the steep downhills where most people are able to run their faster miles.  I have been able to run a negative split the last two years on the second half, but not as much as some people or probably even the average person.
Adam R Wende

« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2008, 12:10:49 am »

First my apologies to everyone on the blog. I've been MYI for a few weeks and have not been checking other blogs much. My knee is finally starting to feel better but the few runs I've managed have not been encouraging. I'll up for a 2:45 group attempt but I really have no clue at this time. Unfortunately other things have gotten in the way. That being said I'll try and support a group as much as I can. If it means going out with the 2:30 group for a mile or two and falling back to the 2:45 and then falling back to the 3:00... Just remember to let me know when you go past...
Greg Harris
Lurker

« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2008, 08:50:54 am »

I have been checking this posting the past few days because I am looking to run in the 2:30s this year.   To reply to Adam, I think you could run a 2:40 or maybe even lower even with limited training.  I ran the Salt Lake Marathon, and if you ran 2:39 in those conditions, St George will be easy.  So maybe I'll have to look for you at the race.
Adam R Wende

« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2008, 03:34:24 pm »

Greg, Looking at the other times you've run this year your marathon PR is much slower than that of your other distances. I think you will be set for sub-2:40 and should even think about taking my place in the sub-2:30 group...
Michelle Lowry

« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2008, 03:59:41 pm »

Adam - My thoughts are that you might not want to start out with the 2:30 group at all.  It can be the death of you if you start running at too high of a threshold too fast in marathon, especially when your training has been sketchy for the past couple of months (for good reasons, but it is what it is).  I would think you should hang out with us 2:45ers, then if you are feeling good after the first half, lay down the hammer the second half.  I think this strategy worked really well for me at Ogden, when my training wasn't so great in the lead up to that race but I still wanted to "race" it.  It'll feel much better to tear up miles 15-22 than miles 1-7, wouldn't it? (Ok, so I have selfish reasons for having you in my pace group, but that is really beside the point).
Adam R Wende

« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2008, 08:11:55 pm »

Michelle, I agree entirely. I was thinking about it a lot more at the meeting and between what little running I got in last few weeks and some pain still lingering, the best idea would be to do what you suggest. So let's plan with me being with your group through at least the first half and taking it from there. I just hope I can help. See you Sat if not Friday first.
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2008, 08:27:05 pm »

Sad  We'll miss you, Adam   Cry
Adam R Wende

« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2008, 08:29:31 pm »

Thanks Jon. We can just look forward to next year when we'll be joining the sub-2:20 group!
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: