Fast Running Blog
May 03, 2024, 01:24:15 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hip pops from running around track  (Read 4209 times)
Susannah Hurst
Lurker

« on: November 25, 2008, 06:02:42 pm »

Last track season I had trouble with my hip popping from usually turning left around the track.  Then we figured that one of my legs was growing and the other wasn't, and the pain went away eventually.  While doing a workout on the track this weekend my hip was hurting, and it was causing pain in my knee.  I went the other way and then my other hip was hurting a bit, but not as bad.  Does anyone else have the feelings of their hip popping as a result of going around the track?
Thatcher
Lurker

« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2008, 11:37:54 pm »

I have actually been feeling the same thing. I've felt a popping in my hip when I walk, but there isn't really much pain associated with it. But today, I ran on the track, and where I felt the popping hurts now. It's right at and around the joint. I don't really have any advice, I'm not sure what it is, but it would be helpful if anyone has any advice.
Josse
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 10:49:29 am »

This is usaully due to tightness in the hips and surrounding muscles, and from that dang track.  I would not run on the track as much as possible.  See if your coach will let you do speed on the road or grass, but something with no turning.  I would suggest doing some yoga, it will help balance out the imbalaces.  You could probably benifit form some professional help as well ie. chiroprator, massage therapist, or a PT.
adam

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2008, 04:00:48 pm »

If you have to do the work on the track, try to do your recoveries in the opposite direction. Usually warming up/cooling down/ recoveries I will run the opposite direction to avoid excessive left turns and tightness.

Every now and then if I am doing a session with lots of laps, I will run one or two of them in the middle the opposite direction. You may find yourself a second or two slower since it doesn't feel natural, but I think it helps break up the monotony and when you do turn around for your next repeat you feel a little back into it.

I once did a session of 200s that were run completely opposite of normal. That was pretty weird telling myself to sprint hard and hook right. Opposite Zoolander effect I guess.
Susannah Hurst
Lurker

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2008, 09:29:32 pm »

Last year we were considering going to a chiropractor but the pain went away.  What exactly would the chiropractor do, and would it be painful?
Josse

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2008, 04:50:57 pm »

The chiro would make sure you don't have an imbalance and if you do he would help fix it.  If you live in the Utah county area I would suggest Dr. Brady he works on alot of running related ijnuries.
Susannah Hurst
Lurker

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2008, 06:00:59 pm »

My hips turned out uneven after last season.  So I'm guessing that might happen again if I don't get it treated?
Josse

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2008, 08:19:58 pm »

my hips go out every couple of months, so I have to watch for it and go to the chiro when they do.  You will probably have to do the same. 
Susannah Hurst
Lurker

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2008, 10:38:45 am »

Ok I'll do that.  Thank you for you advice Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: