Fast Running Blog
May 03, 2024, 04:40:42 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Stretching Routine  (Read 4371 times)
Steven Shuster
Lurker

« on: July 24, 2010, 04:04:18 pm »

For the past few years I have been running on and off with many injuries.  I have made it through some training plans but not all of them mainly the marathon plans.  I am beginning to think that I am not stretching properly and not going through the proper running drills.  Does someone have a pretty fool proof stretching plan with any additional drills that may help?
Chelsi
Lurker

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 10:20:49 am »

I am a fairly slow and casual runner, compared to many of the members of this blog, so I am by no means an expert. I have, however, managed to stay pretty injury free through my marathon training, and I attribute that in great part to a faithful yoga regimen. It's amazing how a good yoga class and some yoga done on my own keeps my body limber while I'm increasing miles. I'm sure I would be even better off by adding in some other cross-training, but yoga is something I will always fit in. It complements very well any training program.
Steven Shuster
Lurker

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 05:33:33 pm »

My wife always tells me I should do it because she is a big yoga lover, but I never listen.  I should look into some form of it as I need something to work.
Jeff Linger
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 07:11:15 pm »

"Brain Training for Runners" has some fairly good stretching, core strengthening, and economy drills that can all be done in a short period of time as well as all at home. Having said that, I don't stretch.
Steven Shuster
Lurker

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 03:50:35 am »

Thanks Jeff.  For the majority of my running career I never took stretching seriously and never had any injuries.  I found that the past few years since becoming a desk jockey I have had more problems than I could count and thought stretching may be the problem.  My goal is to get myself injury free so I can pack on the miles.
Jeff Linger
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2010, 01:27:46 pm »

Interestingly "Brain Training for Runners" has some things to say about being a desk jockey and how such a thing can cause problems for runners. You might want to consider getting a core ball chair for the office. Not only does it work the core but improves posture as well if used properly. They might be a bit pricey, not sure, for a good one.

All in all, Brain Training for Runners is a very quality book for runners of all levels.
David S
Lurker

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2010, 02:39:45 pm »

I always called myself "Mr. injury" because I always seemed to get injured.  This is the first year - at least since Feb/March - that I have not had a major injury.  I define a major injury as anything that causes me to stop running for more than a week.  I attribute staying injury free to 5 factors not in any order of importance: 1) mileage and consistent running - I has taken over a year for my body to get used to 60 miles a week, but it has made me a stronger runner, 2) knowing when to back off, skip a day, cross-train, or run a very slow recovery run, 3) taking recovery weeks every 4th week by backing off the mileage by 10 - 20 miles 4) as Jeff suggested, core is king - a strong back and core are a necessity, and 5) attacking any signs of injury immediately, e.g. with ice, light stretching, strengthening exercises. 

Other than "rope torture" and some calf stretching I do not really do any regular stretching either.  It is really up to the individual.  There are plenty of studies that have shown stretching for runners offers no benefit.  But I think some stretching can help with injury prevention.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: