Fast Running Blog
May 05, 2024, 06:27:02 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Running Music  (Read 13105 times)
MikL
Vocal Lurker

« on: October 25, 2007, 07:06:00 pm »

I know many of you don't listen to music while you run, but there are lots of us that do. For those of you who, like me, don't like to listen to your out of control breathing or just need someone to come along with you when no one is available, tell me what you are listening to. I am sitting here downloading music and would love some suggestions. ANY type of music is welcome...I really like everything from country to rap, so bring it on!
I just downloaded some Fefe Dobson and Paramore. It's gotta pump you up, right?!
« Last Edit: October 25, 2007, 07:08:58 pm by MikL » Logged
Ruth Hilton
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2007, 08:55:46 pm »

I've not really run with music much, but before races I'll sometimes get myself pumped up with some techno-type stuff. Mostly it's stuff my brothers download, but the artists I like of the techno we have are NTrance, Eiffel 65 and Aqua (barbie girl, baby!) and then some crazy remixes and mixes by random DJs. Also, there's some crazy rap the football players put on in the weight room that's fun. And classic rock always!
Dave Holt
Lurker

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2007, 07:39:31 am »

What the crap are you guys talking about!  You're ruining the sacredness of running.  J/K (I can't believe I just wrote J/K... I have been around high school kids too long), On the ol' treadmill its Zeppelin, or some classic U2!
MikL
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2007, 09:47:57 am »

Holt- I can't believe you just put jk either! haha. Your post sounds like Clyde though.
Ruthie- I'm a little scared to look up your music after your weird Jamaican music/dance thingy you and Ally (and Kareena!) would do on the bus!
Craig Green
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2007, 02:50:38 pm »

I'm a purist when I race, but training alone always needs tunes. I found that what I like to run to is not necessarily what I listen to in the car or other places.

Good example- I had a killer run yesterday (Thurs) and I was listening to Limp Bizkit the whole time, which pumped me up pretty good. I never, ever listen to Limp Bizkit at home or in the car 'cause I think the music is stupid. So I guess I've found that aggressive music is good to run to, even if it's not the greatest to listen to by itself.

Other example- I'm listening to Radiohead and Sigur Ros in my car today. Great music, but don't try running to either of it.

I have put together a few playlists for various distances that I call "5k", "10k", etc. If anyone out there has a playlist they dig for running, put down the contents. Oh- I guess that's what MikL was asking.
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2007, 03:29:10 pm »

I usually forget I have an mp3 player, but when I do run with one I generally go with Podcasts of "This American Life", which is a great NPR show. Not music, but a lot of great and funny stories to keep me entertained.
Ruth Hilton
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2007, 06:46:00 pm »

Ruthie- I'm a little scared to look up your music after your weird Jamaican music/dance thingy you and Ally (and Kareena!) would do on the bus!

It's not Jamaican, it's Indian! (As in from India.) And I swear we never taught the dance to Kareena. Really, it's my brothers who find all this weird music, not me. Blame them for my insanity. Truly.
Tom
Posting Member

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2007, 09:27:51 pm »

Here are some of my favorite running tunes...(I know, I know, some of these songs are maybe kinda evil but dang they sure can get me pumped up on a run)

"Runnin' down a Dream" - Tom Petty
"Run like Hell" - Pink Floyd
"Runnin' with the Devil" - Van Halen
"Back in Black" - AC/DC
"Give a Little Bit" - SuperTramp
"Can't Buy me Love", "Paperback Writer", "I Feel Fine"  - Beatles
"Are We There Yet" - GrooveLily
"Bicycle", "Fat Bottomed Girls" - Queen
"Tell Her About it" - Billy Joel

I suppose I'm dating myself a bit. Yes I'm a child of the 80's.
James Winzenz
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2007, 09:56:49 pm »

I'm a techno guy and dance guy when I listen to tunes - old techno, tho - Haddaway, C+C Music Factory, La Bouche, Snap!, etc.  I also have some music from U2, plus some soundtracks - Crimson Tide, Remember the Titans, Superman Theme, etc.  One of my all-time faves to listen to is Survivor's "Eye of the Tiger".  Ever want a tune to pump you up, that's the one.  Gets me going every time.  'Course, so does the Superman theme.  However, I actually find that I don't listen to my music all that often.  I went and bought one of those iPod shuffle "clones" so that I could listen to my mp3's without having to install iTunes, tiny little thing, but most of the time I just don't remember to get it, and end up enjoying the run and listening to my body.
ktjo
Lurker

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2007, 07:08:10 pm »

I can't run with out my music and I have to have fast stuff. I really like the 80's but it is to slow so I have down loaded like every remix there is. I have over 200 songs of mostly remixes. I love country as well but it is to slow and I found country remixes that are fast.
I guess it would be techno if it were to have a name.
I go to Itunes and I type in workout music and remixes and I find all kinds of good stuff. Or you can type in running music and it will show you playlists of other peoples workout and running music.
I don't down load from msn or walmart any more because the licenses seem to not last as long. The itunes music I have copied and even changed from one computer to another but my other down loads say they expired.
There is a workout that is remixes of classical music. It is classical but techno. (I think that is my favorite.)   
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2007, 08:56:34 pm »

I would never bother with the hassle of carrying an MP3 player, but let's suppose you could somehow surround yourself with music without having to carry anything. Then I would have BINGO go off every 3 minutes or so on tempo runs and in races, and nothing on easy runs to keep them easy.
Josse
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2007, 04:19:08 pm »

I think BINGO would drive me nutso.  I listen to alot of heavier stuff,  My favorites are Godsmack, Primus, Seven Mary Three, Train, and I some times I do a littel KT Tunstall, Dave Matthews, The skin of my yellow county teeth, Guero Canelo Calexic (Feast of Wire and Feast of Wire), AC/DC, Muse, D'ror Yikra Ol Va Voi (Laughing through tears), some cat strach fever by Ted Nugent is always nice and I like to finish it off with Chariots of Fire as I am running for that finish line (it is really on my Ipod).  I listen to alot more but the list would go on forever, these are my favorites. 
I never use to listen to music when I ran, just on those boring machines at the gym, but I do use it more running because I do more running by myself.  I also tryed it last year in races, I really liked it but I am trying to decide if I am going to continue when I get serious.  I think it can take away the mental concetration you need to dig deep. I don't know?  It a great destraction when you are tried and hurting though.  MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM puzzling.
Some more I though of is Sly and the family stone and Meters if you like funky disco stuff.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2007, 06:03:19 pm by Josse » Logged
Dee Smith
Lurker

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2007, 09:54:34 pm »

I like upbeat music when I run.  Usually Green Day, Simple Plan, Third Eye Blind and other alternative bands.
Bethany
Lurker

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2007, 06:42:35 pm »

Yeah! A music thread! I have been wondering the same thing Mik'L. (Cody just informed me that this thread has been here for a while.   Shocked)  As for myself, I have a very hard keeping myself entertained even for a mile without music or a running partner. (I know, I am not a "true runner" if I need music. Thanks Cody). So, I enjoy My Chemical Romance- The Black Parade Album is best. Incubus is really good- their last three albums are great. Pinback is pretty good. I also like to find songs that are intruiging and complex (not necessarily pumped up and fast all the time) so I get caught up in the music. An example would be Thrice's Water from their Alchemy album or "son et lumiere" or "televators" by The Mars Volta. Most of the de-loused album is pretty good if you like these two songs. I also love the composer Henry Gorecki (sp?) he is amazing. Rachmoninov is a must as well. I also have to admit an attachment to Josh Groban. But that is just my taste... Smiley
« Last Edit: November 12, 2007, 09:35:20 pm by Bethany » Logged
Ruth Hilton
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2007, 08:40:54 pm »

Well, the Matrix Soundtrack is way fun. Dodge bullets while you run!! Also, the guy who wrote Clubbed to Death on that CD, Rob Dougan, puts out some AWESOME tunes. Just a random thought.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: