Fast Running Blog
May 05, 2024, 09:24:07 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Motivational Ideas...  (Read 2635 times)
Ruth Hilton
Vocal Lurker

« on: November 27, 2007, 09:22:33 pm »

As we all see everyday when blogging, there's Sasha's "Top Ten Excuses For Missing a Run" link on the navigation bar up top, however, I think this is much better approached from the other side: "Top (insert large number here) Excuses to Go For a Run!"  I got this idea from a great article on the Runner's World site - "101 KICKS IN THE BUTT" http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,sssssssss6-238-267--11733-1-1X2X3-4,00.html

There are some pretty superb motivational ideas listed in that article, (especially the first one - "Create a Blog") but I'm pretty sure we can come up with some that are just as good from our own experience and ingenuity... Smiley

To begin:
1- Make it a dare - I kind of got this idea from Ally's (I Have Lucky Teeth) blog, but it's always fun to have that kind of challenge, especially when its from a non-runner who thinks you're either insane or a liar. Then laugh at them when you win.
2- Start your run out by skipping- Some days starting at that plod makes you more frustrated with life. So skip along the road (fast) until you're winded, then start your run. It's fun!
3-Go in the dark- I know its unsafe, but a desert run at night is so inspiring: seeing the stars out, feeling the cool air, thinking of how much God loves us to have created such an amazing place and giving us the ability to run and love running.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2007, 09:24:05 pm by Ruth Hilton » Logged
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2007, 09:16:27 am »

My take on this. A run is a given. There should be no reason or excuse to go for a run. It is something you do. People who read Runners World need a reason to go for a run. People on the Fast Running Blog get harassed by fellow bloggers if they don't. That is how we are able to achieve 30-60 minute marathon PRs in a year.

You can talk about top 10 way to make a run more interesting, though, once there is a commitment to make it happen regardless.
Jeff Frodsham
Lurker

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2007, 08:57:30 pm »

This is a fun idea Ruth. I really liked that article.
Think of someone else- I am blessed to have a healthy body and the ability to run. Sometimes I think of people who are sick or injured. Make it personal and think of someone you know. I use my Grandpa as motivation a lot because he is a big example to me. He has a prostetic leg and it's hard for him to do stuff but he is still always positive. After the millenium me and him are going to run a marathon together.
Sing- During XC we would do chants and stuff (thanks to Bake for teaching us some marines stuff).  Decker (The Beast) and I sometimes yell Muhammad Ali stuff, Can't be beat!
« Last Edit: November 29, 2007, 08:59:01 pm by JD Frodsham » Logged
adam
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2007, 09:31:43 pm »

A couple of old things I used to do, with and without a team to make runs a little more interesting:

Become a running ninja- We used to do this challenge during the run by seeing who could take their top layer off, and while still running, wrap it completely around their face and head, tie it, and finish the run the fastest. Was fun until 9/11...our army base didn't like it very much after that.

Cones- Before your run through some cones out onto the trail and every time you make a loop on that stretch do zigzags. Or if you run where there are lots of trees or telephone poles close together that works well too.

snow hurdles- Same idea as the cones. If you've got the time and a shovel, make a few mounds of snow to jump over during your run.

Opposite Intervals- Start two runners at the top of the track, facing opposite directions. Run the 400m interval and get back to start first! (avoiding being hit is a challege too. this one was never one of our brighter ideas).

Log. or Rock.- Out on the trail grab a rock or a small log, and carry it with you (switching hands when you get tired) until you find a bigger, funner looking, rock or log.  (this one also came with a variation called log/rock toss, where you had to toss it to the runner in front or in back of you when you find the new rock).

Racecar- Since I run with car/house keys in my hands sometimes I like to pretend I'm starting my engine, and taking turns with a pretend steering wheel. This all comes complete with race commentary, which you would have to watch Nascar every weekend to fully understand. I'm sad I know, but dang it, it's pretty stinkin fun.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: