Fast Running Blog
May 05, 2024, 07:13:54 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Taking a Break  (Read 5818 times)
Sean Sundwall
Posting Member

« on: November 22, 2007, 04:34:17 pm »

After a couple of iffy workouts that have proven to be way harder than they should and a hamstring that is causing me a bit of grief, it's got me wondering if it's time for me to give my body a break.

My question is what does it mean to take a break? Do you stop running altogether? Do you cut back mileage? Do you eliminate everything but the easy runs?

I don't have a marathon planned until next fall.

I'd love people's thoughts on this.
Dave Holt
Posting Member

« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2007, 09:04:39 pm »

I left a little thought for you on your post today - although I don't really have an answer for you, the point is clear that your body is ready for a little something - and you really deserve it.
Chad
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2007, 10:40:02 am »

Sean--the concept of taking a "break" has to be different for every runner.  It sounds like your body is ready for a few days off and some easy runs (not surprising after the tough performances you've put in this year). I have noticed that after a "goal" event, it is difficult to find the motivation to continue training at a high level.  That's the ideal time to let the body and mind heal and refocus energy on what comes next.  Once the inspiration for your next goal strikes, you'll be ready to push it again. 

During times that I have taken time off because of injury, I still try to stick to my same general pre-running routine.  I get out of bed at the same time as if I were going to run, get dressed as if I were going to run, and then I do stretching, core work, meditation etc.--instead of running. This has usually helped to keep me from going crazy and helps concentrate the mind on these healing activities without breaking completely out of the running rhythm.  It eases the transition back to running as well.

Besides, now is a nice time to do other things and enjoy the holidays.

Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2007, 11:21:08 am »

For me taking a break means a reduction in mileage to about 60/week and no formal speed work. Run every day by feel and mood 10 miles. Possibly some cross-training in place of regular high mileage. I think while a break from running may be beneficial at times for some runners, a break from high volume aerobic exercise is always harmful. So if you feel your desire to run is going down and the injuries start to bug you, you can, for example, run 8-10 easy in the morning, and go for a bike ride or a swim at night.
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2007, 05:31:27 pm »

Sean, it is not a surprise, but I have a different view from Sasha.  While it may set you back a bit in your training (though not much if your next race in the fall), I sometimes just have to more or less stop running for a few weeks or even months at a time.  My breaks have been up to 3-4 months (sometimes necessitated by injury), but I always come back recharged.  I'm not saying that just easing up on running isn't fine, too, but sometimes you just need a bit of a break.  A few weeks off (with no guilty feelings) may do the trick.
Superfly
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2007, 06:34:23 pm »

Here is one area where I don't agree with Sasha either. I've followed guys like Brian Sell and other big dogs and even those guys take time off. Even after running 120-150 mile weeks Sell will find an off time of year and maybe not even run for two weeks. After pounding your body for months you have to give it time to rest and then come back stronger.
I think this year I'll do something like Brian Sell's method. Somewhere around the end of December I'll take two weeks to rest up. Maybe only like 4 miles per day, and some days no running at all.
Doing this will help me mentally prepare for the 2008 year and I feel will make me stronger in the long run. True it may take a couple weeks (or months) after the break to get back into form but four months down the road I'll be able to handle the volume planned, and be running faster.
This being said... everyone is different and different things work for everyone. 
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2007, 10:36:34 am »

Back in college we would always take 2 weeks off after track and again after cross. Definitely does wonders for motivation, and tends to hit the "reset" button on all the little aches and pains too.

Now days, after a peak race I tend to take several days completely off (up to 5), and then ease into moderate mileage for a week, and then go back to base-building (easy volume with moderate workouts). Maybe try some cross training and weight lifting to build strength and do something different.

Different people will have different preferences, but I do think that training cycles should have abrupt starts and finishes. Finish a training cycle with a peak race, rest, start up base-building again, and then return to hard workouts when you are ready. Peak. Race. Repeat. I think people get into trouble when training turns into a monotonous routine with no clear start or finish. While it's good to stay in shape year-round, I think the ebb and flow and variations of clear training cycles is good for both the body, the mind, and race performance.
Adam R Wende
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2007, 01:55:43 pm »

I don’t want to sound like a broken record but I have to add my two cents that time of is needed for almost everyone. Just reducing your mileage doesn’t allow complete muscle repair. Though complete time off does start to reduce VO2, this is not a problem for someone with the fitness level you have and the discipline you have already shown leaves no doubt that in about a month you will be cranking out 100 mile weeks again with no change in VO2. I always take about a week off after a key race 4-6 days no running at all. This year I took two weeks off. Then I reverse my taper back up to my base mileage… Good luck getting through this and like Chad mentioned this is the perfect time of year to go through this with the holidays and family obligations anyway.
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2007, 09:40:10 am »

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-267--12200-0,00.html?cm_mmc=training-_-2007_11_27-_-training-_-Are%20You%20Overtrained%3f
Chris Weidman
Lurker

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2007, 02:41:22 pm »

I know running is different to a point - but in my weightlifting workouts I could only go about 8-9 weeks at a high intensity before my body was telling me to stop. So I would just take a complete week off - no anything - and then go right back into it after that. I didn't lose any conditioning during that week and was able to continue where I left off - but fully rested. I know as a runner I don't like taking time off, but I also know that the body is the first to know and the mind the last (actually the mind isn't the last to "know", but rather the last to "accept")

Pain of Discipline or Pain of Regret
You Choose!
Ted Leblow
Posting Member

"Don't give up...don't ever give up." - Jimmy V.

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2007, 07:29:12 pm »

Very true about the mind being the last to accept. The body will speak to us and we have a hard time listening to it because of our drive to improve. However, at times we need to listen to really improve. I struggle with this at times.
Sean Sundwall
Posting Member

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2007, 07:30:04 pm »

Thanks for all the feedback. I talked to my coach about it and he recommended taking two weeks off once I'm done with CC Nationals. It is the perfect time of year and that will still give me time to get "back in shape" for Ragnar's in Arizona. I'll let everyone know how it goes.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: