Fast Running Blog
May 06, 2024, 01:30:21 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Missing something in your running or bad habits  (Read 14667 times)
Paul Thomas
Lurker

« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2007, 05:55:24 pm »

I think running (and diet) is a microcosm of the rest of our lives. We are all doing well in some areas and could do better in others. We are all similar in many ways, but we still have custom likes and and dislikes and face custom challenges. For me, the key to happiness in life is prioritizing (based on my own knowledge/experience/desires) and in a balanced way trying to improve what I can as I go along, hopefully focusing on the most important things first. I shouldn't try to run faster than I am able, but I should work diligently that I might win the prize (for me, lasting peace, happiness, and satisfaction).

These dialogs where we share opinions and information allow each of us to reconsider our priorities and opinions and maybe change some things, or maybe not.

For example, when Sasha first suggested I increase my mileage and reduce my speed work I was very reluctant. After hearing the witness of others, and seeing their success, and some of my own, I'm now willing to make appropriate adjustments to my training. After a lifetime of resistance, I've also recently switched from white bread to wheat bread (most of the time). However, I'm not willing to give up my wife's cooking and baking, regardless of the dietary or performance risks. It's called comfort food for a reason. If it means I run a little slower, or pack some extra pounds for hundreds of miles, so be it. I'm also not quite ready for "fishy burps" or muscle scraping (discussed elsewhere on the forum).

I guess what I'm saying is that I really like the free exchange in these forums. I've learned so much. It is generally positive and non-judgmental, with the possible exception of some occasional tough love from Sasha.  Smiley
Dallen
Posting Member

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2007, 06:52:52 pm »

I'm with Jonathan. I love my sugar. And personally I don't see much wrong with it. We metaboloze glucose to provide energy when running. We make glycogen from glucose to build up our reserves.  The complex carbohydrates we eat get broken down into sugars. I think sugars are bad for you if they make you fat. I'm not worried about that, so bring on the soda (and please don't give me any of that gross diet soda).

My vice is fats. Fried foods, cheese, ice cream etc. That is the stuff I need to get out of my diet. It is clogging me arteries and filling me up before I can ingest enough energy providing sugar.
Dawson Hinton
Lurker

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2007, 09:54:35 pm »

These dialogs where we share opinions and information allow each of us to reconsider our priorities and opinions and maybe change some things, or maybe not...

I guess what I'm saying is that I really like the free exchange in these forums. I've learned so much. It is generally positive and non-judgmental, with the possible exception of some occasional tough love from Sasha.  Smiley

I couldn't have said it better.
jtshad
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2007, 02:41:59 pm »

I've heard that there are 3 vices for runners, of which they can choose to partake of 2.  They are alcohol, caffeine, and sugar.  I do the third.  And love it.

I believe in moderation in all things (related to diet at least).  I partake in all three "vices" in limited quantities as:  1) I enjoy them; 2) A little bit allows for some fun in life; 3) Staves off the possible "binging" effect from total withdrawls; 4) Each can have a beneficial affect on one's health (e.g. alcohol - heart healthy, dark chocolate's health affects). 

This being said, I echo Paul's perspective and feel that everyone here can take differing steps to help their overall health and running performance by using other's opinions and findings on the topics.
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2007, 02:56:53 pm »

Some thoughts. First, free is the man that can have fun vice-free. It does not matter what the vice is. If it is something negative, and we know it, but we think life is more fun with it than without, we are slaves of that vice even if we never partake of it. One of the most liberating moments in my life was when I realized that the definition of fun is very malleable, that you can shape your own fun. It is not easy, it requires a lot of discipline, it takes work to learn to deeply enjoy good things, and not crave the bad ones, and it is very easy to lose that skill, but the mind can be trained to enjoy good things and loathe the bad ones. I suppose somebody at one point state the above with - Good habits are hard to get but easy to live with, bad habits are easy to get but hard to live with.

Before I came to the US my best marathon was 2:48:32 at the age of 18. This was not done on talent alone. I had run consecutively for 7 years with no breaks longer than 3 days the entire time. My median mileage was around 40 a week. I ran 75 miles a week with long runs and tempos in the three months prior to the marathon. I eventually improved to 2:41:54 at the age of 24 off 55 steady/75 max, then 2:39:48 at the age of 25 off 65-75 steady, then over the years eventually advanced to 2:23:57 at the age of 34 off a few months of 100-120 miles prior to the race. I've hit plateaus, struggled through them, tried numerous ways to break them. Most of what I tried yielded no fruit, but eventually I would find something that did.

Each time I'd make a breakthrough there was something new that I found, and sometimes I would make a breakthrough without quite understanding what it what that made it happen. I do not really have a magic formula for a breakthrough except what I stated above regarding the freedom and the fun. I believe the key to my ability to find the breakthrough was to be adamant about not only eliminating the negative, but going much further - teaching my mind to loathe it. At the same time, be adamant about doing the positive, and again, going further than that - teaching my mind to love it. If there was a pleasure that I suspected was making me run slower, and it was nothing but pleasure, it did not have to be done, I never thought twice about getting rid of it, or at least trying to go without it to see what happens for as long as it takes to have convincing results. I did not worry about the reduced quality of life because I felt free to define my qualify of life. I began to realize that there are two types of pleasure - to use a dietary analogy, the wholesome sweetness of a natural fruit, and the artificial sweetness of added white sugar. The former type builds you while you enjoy it, the latter destroys you while you let your passions go out of control. The former usually requires work prior to the enjoyment, but the satisfaction is lasting and the consequences are that you are better in some way. The latter requires no work prior to the enjoyment, is easy to obtain, there is no price to pay prior, but the pleasure flees soon afterwards, you are left empty, and there are long term negative consequences. So I decided to define the quality of life for my mind in such a way that it would only want to enjoy the pleasures of the first kind.

I believe that due to the above mindset, overtime I was bound to find something that works. The key is to not let trivial matters stop you from achieving the goals that are in your heart. There should be nothing trivial (such as food or or drink of a certain kind) that you are not willing to give up. There should be no training method  that you are not willing to try as long as it does not interfere with higher priorities such as family, church service, or the commandments of God. Then something that would work for your body will have a hard time escaping your view, and you can experience continual growth for a while.
Kory Wheatley
Posting Member

« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2007, 04:40:46 pm »

Sasha, I really like your point and view on this subject.   I believe the mind is what can determine your eating behavior.  If you can learn to control it than your well disciplined.  I usually abstain from bad foods, except every once in a while I'll eat something unhealthy just because I want something I haven't had for a while.  Now could I say no, of course and I would be fine, but every once in a while I eat something just to eat it and enjoy it.   

Why do I drink pop?  I enjoy it and like the taste and it seems to help me after a run.  I know that it may give me a boost after a run, but I've wondered if I quit drinking it would it make me a better runner?  Now just thinking that way makes me want to try to quit to increase my performance.  Being 36 years old I know I need every extra advantage as possible to ever break 2:30 in a marathon.  I want to get faster and if it takes quitting pop than it will happen.  I've made changes in my diet already where I'm not eating meat that much anymore so quitting pop is just changing my mindset.

Sasha, I'm curious what you eat on a typical day to fuel your body.  Could you list your meals?
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2007, 10:34:44 am »

Kory:

My typical daily menu:

Immediately after the morning run: Powerade, 2-3 honey sandwiches on whole wheat bread, sometimes a couple of bananas as well

Breakfast: Raw rolled oats, dried dates, raisins, raw nuts (peanuts or cashew, almonds work as well, but are too expensive), possibly other fruit when available, and soy milk, all mixed together in a bowl.

Lunch: Some cooked grain (buckwheat, brown rice, barley) or whole wheat pasta with spices, sea salt, home-made salsa, or Braggs for seasoning. 2-3 times a week some form of light meat - fish, chicken or turkey as well. Sometimes I add avocado + garlic ground up in a K-Tech mixer to the meal as well.

Immediately after the evening run: Repeat the post-morning run routine.

Dinner: Repeat breakfast expect no soy milk or oats, and more nuts.

Additionally, frequent snacks when hungry or starting to lose concentration - honey sandwiches, apples, bananas, oranges, grapes, etc depending on the mood. Also, 3-4 times a day suck on a piece of garlic for 15-20 minutes.

Lulu
Lurker

« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2007, 02:54:15 pm »

Sasha,
No vegetables?
Kory Wheatley
Posting Member

« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2007, 05:10:04 pm »

Sasha,
Why no Veggies.
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2007, 06:44:13 pm »

Sasha- do you ever eat out?
Kory Wheatley
Posting Member

« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2007, 08:09:52 pm »

We eat out maybe once a week if that. At times I watch what I eat and other times I don't especially if it's Chinese food which is my favorite.  I would rather eat home grown veggie's, but I don't do that often because I don't have a garden.  I usually don't eat much of breakfast or lunch, but I eat a big dinner.
jtshad
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2007, 08:02:58 am »

Kory, tsk tsk on skipping breakfast...need to start the day of with some energy my friend, that might help the tiredness in the legs.  I usually eat a heaping bowl of whole grain cereal for breakfast and snack about every 2 hours throughout the day to keep my energy level up and blood sugar regulated.  It also helps me from overeating at regular meal times.

We eat out 1-2 times per week and I really watch what I eat even then (my wife...not as dedicated).  For example, if we go to Chili's, I nearly always get the "guiltless" chicken sandwich.
Kory Wheatley
Posting Member

« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2007, 09:00:25 am »

Jeff,  actually I always eat breakfast.  What I meant it not a huge meal.  I usually eat a bowl of Smart Start cereal or Oatmeal.  I the weekend it's usually pancakes. For lunch I usually eat Oatmeal again with yogurt, or a Bagel turkey or honey sandwhich with Oatmeal, but for dinner it just depends on what we decide to cook or what the kids want.  I would definitely say I don't always eat a healthy dinner.
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2007, 11:01:11 am »

Lulu - vegetables as well, when available. More during the summer.

Jon - we hardly ever eat out, and when we do it is always at a handful of specialized health food restaurants. When traveling I may consider Subway, but lately I've been doing just grocery store. I would rather go without a traditional meal or at times even plain hungry than eat something unhealthy.

Reasons for not eating out are time, health, and cost. Even if the restaurant has the right stuff (which is rare), because I do not eat much animal fats, I end up eating a lot of volume, and that gets expensive fast. To get the same quantity and quality of nutrition I can get at home for $2, I would need to spend probably $20 eating out. Additionally, restaurant food poisoning in not an uncommon occurrence,a danger I would not like to flirt with while running high mileage.

Some philosophy to go with that. The power to go without is an essential component of the power to win. A good runner picks up the pace when he needs to and does not wonder if it is going to hurt. He knows it will, but the joy of the win obscures the pain. Overtime he learns to enjoy the pain as well because it is so intimately connected to the glory of winning. If somebody wants to truly maximize his potential, he must learn to go without instinctively, unquestionably, and with a happy heart - not feeling like he is missing out on some sort of fun, but rather feeling the joy of the upcoming victory while in the act of what others may perceive as a sacrifice.
Tom
Posting Member

« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2007, 11:36:07 am »

Sasha I loved that last paragraph. I don't always understand or agree with some of the advice you give but I think what you said gives me some insight into your core philosophy and motivates me to consider a few things I hadn't pondered before.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: