Fast Running Blog
May 05, 2024, 07:53:54 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Treadmill Recommendations  (Read 7126 times)
Laura
Lurker

« on: November 08, 2007, 09:23:47 pm »

With winter starting, I was hoping to get a treadmill so I have no good excuse to wimp out when it's cold and snowy!!!  Does anyone have recommendations for a reliable treadmill:  great brand, features that are essential, or even where you recommend buying one?  Any thoughts are helpful . . .
Cody Draper
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2007, 07:51:46 am »

I have found NordicTrack treadmills to be high quality.  They are actually built in Cache Valley (Logan), UT and not in China (at least for the time being).  I found a great deal on mine and love it (as much as you can love TM's).
Check them out at http://www.nordictrack.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Category2_-1_10301_12401_19051_Y
Kind of funny, if you look closely at this page on the left side column the elite series has a picture with a caption that reads: "Designed for the most demanding runners"  with a picture of the TOU  marathon and Sasha and Paul Petersen and Bill Cobler in the picture.

I bought the 4200 (S series) as it is on sale and a great deal.  (Plus I have another discount if interested for another $200)  Not top of the line, but it is quite rugged and should last quite a while. Jon (http://jon.fastrunningblog.com) is currently selling one that he won at a local race.  The problem is that it is here in Logan and shipping is not cheap.

Hope that helps
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2007, 06:25:05 pm »

Yes, treadmill for sale here!  Discount!  Contact me!
Lybi
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2007, 06:32:56 pm »

Yeah Laura, you should buy Jon's Treadmill!  Then you can tell people that "it was a prize for winning a race"--get some respect from those marathon-running ladies in your ward.  JK Smiley 
Cody Draper
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2007, 08:07:23 pm »

Yes, treadmill for sale here!  Discount!  Contact me!

In fact Jon is offering $200 off if you can pick it up by Thanksgiving!!
Ruth Hilton
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2007, 08:10:49 pm »

Jonathan, where do you live? If Laura can't pick it up, I'd really love to get it off your hands!
Cody Draper
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2007, 08:32:44 pm »

Jonathan, where do you live? If Laura can't pick it up, I'd really love to get it off your hands!

I will field this...
He is in Logan.  Its quite a drive from St. George, but if you have access to a pickup, it is easily done.
Ruth Hilton
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2007, 08:39:37 pm »

I go to SLC almost every week, I swear. I was in SLC yesterday and I'll be up there next weekend! Really, going to Logan would be not a huge inconvenience.
James Winzenz
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2007, 09:51:27 pm »

OK, I'm going to take a different angle on this.  We actually picked up a Icon treadmill from Wal-Mart several years ago.  It is not the best in the world, but it has lasted about 4 years so far, and this was when I weighed about 25 pounds more than I do now.  In fact, I think the only thing wrong with it right now is that it needs a new motor belt, because it is slipping.  Otherwise it is still in pretty good condition.  Granted, if a really, really good treadmill is available and is not too expensive, I would probably do it, but this one was only about $500.  It had a long and wide belt, and a pretty good motor on it.  It only goes up to 10 mph, but for most people, that is plenty good enough.  I think there are a few key things to a treadmill:

1.  long and wide running surface - good size would be something like 20" x 60"
2.  sturdy motor - I believe the CHP(continuous horsepower) number is what you want, the higher the better.  Good ones will be 2.75 CHP or better
3.  good display, easy to use, accurate measurement of speed

Other than that, a lot of the other features you might see are just extras.  Anyone else feel free to chime in.  FYI, the 4200 series has a 3.25 CHP motor, a 20 x 60 belt and adjustable speed from 0-12 mph.
Ruth Hilton
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2007, 10:54:19 pm »

Looking at the previously mentioned NordicTrack site, I noticed some had screens for movies and such. As a novice when it comes to treadmill use, would you actually use such a thing? Are they worth the much extra $?
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2007, 08:29:22 am »

For anyone interested, the treadmill I won (which is currently residing in Cody's garage- part of the reason he is actively hawking it) is a NordicTrack C2255.  MSRP is $1000, I'm asking for $700 or so.

For me, a TV wouldn't do much good because I don't have a TV hookup for it.  But it can be a nice distraction- and if you want to watch TV, it is safer than looking at a TV somewhere else in the room and stepping off the belt.
Laura
Lurker

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2007, 09:32:41 pm »

Ruth, go ahead and snag Jon's treadmill.  I don't think I'll be heading to Utah before Thanksgiving - or even Christmas. 

Thanks for the advice, everyone.  James, I really appreciate your recommendations!!   

That's cool that Paul and Sasha are on the Nordic website!!!
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2007, 09:43:41 pm »

That's cool that Paul and Sasha are on the Nordic website!!!

...eh? Shouldn't I get money for that? Or at least a free treadmill. Oh wait, I did get a free treadmill that year, and I sold it without taking it out of the box.

Also in the picture is Demetrio Jr. and Steve Ashbaker.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: