Fast Running Blog
May 12, 2024, 12:49:52 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Running and Strength Training  (Read 9425 times)
April G
Posting Member

« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2010, 06:02:20 am »

My lower back used to hurt after longer runs.  Even just a little bit of hit and miss core work takes care of the problem though!  I think core work is definitely helpful to a runner.
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2010, 06:58:56 am »

One thing that is slightly off topic but I will add anyway. I sit at a computer all day and have done so for years. At some point, my posture caused me to have problems with my upper back. It has given me trouble for years now. And when I run I feel like it causes my form to be a little stiff. Anyway, at one point I went to a physical therapist, and he had me do some exercises and they really helped. But then I stopped doing them and the pain came back. So now I'm going to start doing them again. The point is that I think upper-body strength training and maybe even stretching can help keep your form smooth and keep you from having such problems as I have had with my back. Since I have little kids, I may try using them as weights. Smiley

I have the same thing (sit at a computer all day). Sitting loads the back, and is pretty bad for it. Standing, kneeling, or squatting is much better for the lower back. I've found that getting up at work and walking around every half hour helps a lot. Also, I tend to find some excuse to run an errand, so I often get in a half mile to a mile walk during the day (I work downtown, so have places to walk to). And one of the things I look forward to every night is rolling out my back on a foam roller. I usually get some good cracks out of it, and then I just lay with the roller under my lower back for a few moments, which really stretches it out well. I do similar things on an exercise ball, and after all that stretching, plus some crunches and a yoga pose or two (namely, upward-facing dog), my back is usually feeling pretty good. This is all a time committment of about 5 minutes, which I can handle.
dave rockness
Posting Member

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2010, 09:00:58 am »

I had back trouble on and off for almost a decade.  My initial introduction to running only aggravated this.  However, since losing 30lbs and improving my commitment to "core work"- mostly at night while watching baseball or 10minutes before going to bed- I've been pain free now for 2 years (from the back issues, now working on "achilles" Smiley). 
Scott
Lurker

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2010, 02:10:41 pm »

In regard to the statement about 'leg workouts', I don't do them because of the time factor (as has been mentioned by others).  However, I have found that running hills really strengthens my legs and helps my overall running.  I don't do them enough, but always feel better in the days and weeks after I do.
bencrozier
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2010, 01:02:03 pm »

As a runner, you shouldn't worry about "bulking up" as a result of strength training unless you reduce your mileage or start to consume a lot more food.  The muscle bulk has to come from the food that you consume (protein) and if you burn it all off as a result of high mileage it is physically impossible to bulk up from strength training.  A lot of people believe that muscle mass will magically appear as a result of weight training.  This just isn't so unless you have the diet to match it.  If you do a lot of strength training, but also run 120 miles per week, your body would burn off all the food you eat from running and not build muscle mass. Also, all "training" is good for the body over all, but only running makes a runner a better runner.
Steve P
Posting Member

« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2010, 07:15:26 pm »

Interesting insight. However, I respectfully disagree with your last statement, which is very bold and broad. For example, I believe cardiovascular efficiency is crucial to running performance, and running is clearly not the only way to increase cardio efficency. I also think leg strength is important to running performance, and there are many other ways to increase it than running. These are just two examples. However, I tend to agree with Paul and others who suggest that running gives the greatest bang for the buck given a constrained amount of training time.
bencrozier
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2010, 07:50:16 am »

Steve,

Yes, I wasn't very precise in my statement and I'm sure that other activities help you be a better runner, but the highest and best use of your training time is definitely spent running.  Thanks for the clarification.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: