Fast Running Blog
May 13, 2024, 10:24:33 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Nocturnal calf cramps  (Read 5487 times)
Bonnie
Posting Member

« on: May 25, 2009, 05:00:55 pm »

Not sure where this topic belongs - not really an injury (though it hurt like one).  I was woken up this morning by a horrible calf cramp (felt a lot like the one I had right after the marathon the beginning of the month).   My whole leg seized up.

Has anyone else ever had this happen out of the blue?  This never happened when I was training hard, I am wondering if it is because of "lack of training?"  I was also thinking it could be vitamin deficiency (I have heard potassium perhaps) or dehydration (it is pretty hot here now)?

Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 05:24:20 pm »

I've had that happen, and also in my feet. Thankfully it's rare. I don't recall if it correlates to hard training or not. They say cramping is usually from dehydration or lack of electrolytes (like potassium), but I can't offer any more than what you've already said.
Jeff Linger
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009, 05:26:18 pm »

I get this exact thing frequently. I've been able to pin it down to occuring following 2 types of runs -- a long run or a medium distance run on a humid day. In both cases I've connected it personally to high sodium loss as I sweat excessively. Usually I drink a cup of hot water mixed with a tablespoon of chicken boullion and the cramps never come. If I lose too much sodium and don't do this .... I shoot up in the middle of the night trying desperately to reach my toes to curle them towards me. Hopefully you were able to unlock your calf cramp quickly enough, but if I'm not able to sometimes my calf is in rough shape for 24-36 hours.
Bonnie
Posting Member

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2009, 07:01:30 pm »

Thanks Paul and Jeff! 

It wasn't due to any hard running (since I have not done anything hard in over 3 weeks - I am getting a little antsy) - but it could very well be due to electrolyte imbalance - I will make sure I eat some salty food (not potato chips, alas, since I am not running enough to snack, I love my baked kettle chips) this week.

Jeff, it was one of the ones that leaves a knot in your leg ... yikes.
Michelle Lowry

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2009, 10:26:07 pm »

I get them periodically.  Legend says potassium?  But I don't really know. 

I have been getting more cramps and involuntary stretching at night and when I wake up as my legs have shriveled over the last three weeks (think the wicked witch who got whacked with Dorothy' house).
Jeff Linger

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 08:39:46 am »

Jeff, it was one of the ones that leaves a knot in your leg ... yikes.

Yep, those are killers.
Billy Broaddus
Lurker

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2009, 09:11:38 am »

One factor is also the position that you sleep in. If you sleep with your toes pointed, your are more likely to experience a calf cramp, regardless of training and electrolytes. If you have heavy blankets and sleep on your back, it's especially common to get the cramps. I try to hook my toes over the back of the bed sometimes to prevent the cramps.
Bonnie
Posting Member

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2009, 10:20:57 am »

Had another in my foot yesterday -- I think it is dehydration.   It is really dry here, and when it is hot is worse, similar to Utah but a little hotter and maybe even a little dryer.  Especially when riding the bike - the wind tends to evaporate the sweat more - and you can get dehydrated without even noticing it.  I am planning on increasing both water and my sugar-free electrolyte mix stuff over the week and see how it goes. 

Thank you all for your comments.
Marissa
Lurker

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2009, 10:34:44 am »

I get these a lot, sometimes they go away if you flex your calf muscle by bending your toes up-or massaging the knot until they go away. Other than that I don't know how to prevent them
Gary Culver
Lurker

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2009, 08:36:25 pm »

It used to get these a lot... No issues since I began supplementing with electrolytes on long/hot runs. 
My Absolutely No Medical Qualification Advice:  "Try an extra touch of salt on dinner" ...
Bonnie
Posting Member

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2009, 09:35:05 am »

ha ha ha ... yup, Gary, I give that type of "But I slept at a Holiday Inn last night" advise all the time myself  Wink

Thank you!  I added a pinch of salt to dinner last night -- and have upped my water intake a little too.
Gary Culver
Lurker

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2009, 09:43:04 am »

Hey Bonnie;  Last year, we stayed at a Holiday Inn Express the night before Wasatch Back.. That was good for a couple of laughs.... Let us know if it (the salt, not the hotel) helps...

Gary Culver
Lurker

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2009, 09:58:00 am »

Bonnie;

I did an internet search for: "Nocturnal Calf Cramps" and found a wealth of info. i.e., (several sites said "cause unknown" ... may be caused by:
- Wearing high heels
- Riding a bicycle
- Sleep in a bed with tight sheets
- Ballet (Any activity where toes are pointed)
- "Cramp Like Pain" from a Blood Clot (recommended seeing a doctor just in case the cause is serious)
- Calcium deficiency
- Dehydration

May be relieved by:
- Rehydration
- Calcium supplement
- Standing barefoot on cold floor
- Electrolytes (Gatorade)
- Quinine (some people drink soda water) (Shown non-effective in a clinical study)
- Avoiding caffeine

So, my revised HIE recommendation would be: Rehydration, slightly boosting electrolytes, periodic gentle stretching of calf, avoiding activities which "point the toes" ... okay, I need to rush back to surgery... ; )

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: