Fast Running Blog
May 11, 2024, 10:43:22 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it wise to run through shin pain?  (Read 6520 times)
April
Lurker

« on: April 02, 2009, 10:38:49 pm »

I had shin pain in highschool about 10 years ago...now it is back and it seems that it either came back b/c I switched shoes (i have taken my shoes back twice and still same problem) so I am thinking it isn't the shoes??
at any rate...i want to run...and rest does not seem to help...i'm starting to think it is phantom pain because sometimes it is there, sometimes it isn't and sometimes it isn't that painful at all..how do I deal with this?
Jeff Linger
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 12:03:53 am »

You could ask your doctor about stretches related to shin splints, I'm sure you could find some oneline. Also ice baths might help, but mostly I would guess its related to shoes or stride patterns. I believe that Matt Fitzgerald's book Brain Training For Runners has some information to address this issue. I'll look it up tomorrow and try to post for you what he says.
April
Lurker

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 07:22:03 am »

Thank you!
Dallen
Posting Member

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 08:53:42 am »

There is a good recent thread on this subject. http://fastrunningblog.com/forum/index.php/topic,930.0.html
David S
Lurker

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 01:23:59 pm »

Shin splints are near and dear to my heart - too many miles (50 +) a week on mostly pavement in the wrong shoes killed me.  It was the first time I have had to stop running due to an injury.  Anyway, I went with the most cushioned shoe on the market for neutral runners - Nike Vomero - and in conjuction with treatment and PT - the pain is almost completely gone over the past 3 days, and getting better every day.  After I get my legs used to running everday and 50-60 miles a week I will start to rotate a firmer shoe into the mix.  I know Nike also makes a "Vomero" stability shoe called the Zoom Equalon 3 which has gotten great reviews. 
http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/products/NIK1244/ (Just mentioning both since I don't know what type of runner you are.)  From my personal experience of dealing with shin splints getting the right shoe has solved the problelm.  Good luck!

But back to your original question - it depends on the pain. When I first began running a couple years ago I just ran through the pain, changed shoes, and it slowly got better.   You do run the risk of getting a stress fracture if it gets bad enough - so better to fix the problem.
April
Lurker

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2009, 05:39:22 pm »

Update: Well i just go so sick of the pain. I switched back to running in my old shoes...no pain...so i got online and bought another pair of new old shoes. Not sure what I will do in 400 miles when they die but sauconies clearly do not work for me. Brooks are better.
I will however look into the Nikes. I"m a neutral runner so sounds like they would theoretically work perfectly. (ie the saucony shoes were for neutral runners)
So I have a 10 mile race in 9 days. obviously I have not been able to keep my mileage up so I hope i'm not too sore afterwards!
James Winzenz

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2009, 04:30:57 pm »

That sounds like a very wise choice - if the make and model of shoes you are wearing work for you, I would suggest sticking with them.  Each manufacturer is different, and every person's foot characteristics are different.  What works for one person in terms of shoes (brands) may not work well for another - you are a perfect example of this.
April
Lurker

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2009, 09:03:36 pm »

I ended up being able to return the shoes but I you would like to hear the longer version of my LRS rant you can go to my blog for Monday....Stupid LRS
James Winzenz

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2009, 11:01:11 pm »

Glad you were able to return them, sorry to hear you had such a bad experience with a "specialty" running store.  Not all of them are like that.  Some are actually knowledgeable and helpful, as opposed to just trying to get you to buy their favorite shoe.  I rarely buy shoes at an actual store - I will sometimes go in there to try on a pair I am thinking about getting, but by now I pretty much know what works for me.  I will put in a plug for the St. George Running Center next time you need a pair of shoes - they have a pretty good selection, and co-sponsor the FRB racing team.  You also get a 15% discount for being a FRB member.
Jose Jimenez
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2009, 09:53:21 am »

April, I posted an update to my shin splints problem on the injuries section of the forum.  Short of it is that my pain is steadily going away.  It has not gone away completely though and I think it is because the Brooks I am using are probably not quite right for me.  I ordered the Nike Equalon 3's (mentioned above).  I tried them out at a store and they felt absolutely great.  I will post an update once I have used them for a while. 
April
Lurker

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2009, 11:01:25 pm »

Jose, I'm glad that your new shoes feel better...I can't wait for my old new shoes to come in but so far so good with running in my old ones...
Jose Jimenez
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2009, 11:49:21 pm »

Got my Nike Equalon's yesterday and have put 11 miles on them thus far. Great shoe.  Good blend of stability and cushoning.  My legs feel great after running in these shoes.  I think the Brooks are getting fired.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: