Fast Running Blog
May 11, 2024, 03:18:46 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Racing Flats  (Read 6960 times)
AndyBrowning
Posting Member

« on: October 15, 2007, 01:08:33 pm »

I've always raced in my regular training shoes.  At what point is it worth wearing racing flats to race in?  I have shied away from flats because I have terrible bio-mechanics (bow legged, splay footed, over pronating heel striker) and felt that they would do more harm than good.
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2007, 01:25:49 pm »

You could first try a pair of lightweight trainers, such as a the Brooks Burn. They are lighter than a normal trainer, but more supportive than a flat. They also easily accommodate an orthotic or insert. I've raced 10 out of 12 marathons in the Burn, and numerous 5Ks, 10Ks, Halfs.

A flat would definitely increase efficiency, but I do not think they are absolutely necessary. If you get into them, you can start with a marathon flat.
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2007, 01:57:21 pm »

A lot depends on what distance and surface.  If you are doing 5k's on grass, then go for it.  If you are doing a marathon on pavement, than the bio-mechanics and reduced cushion could do more harm than good, especially if you have been fighting injuries.  I agree with Paul that a lightweight trainer may be more appropriate than a true flat.  Plus, remember that the time savings is not huge- a rule of thumb is you save about 1 second per mile per ounce.  So an 8 oz racing flat will save you 4 seconds per mile versus a 12 oz trainer.  You have to ask yourself if the potential 100 second gain on a marathon would be worth it versus the potential injury risk.

Pfitzinger doesn't suggest flats for a marathon unless you meet all the following:
Faster than 2:40
Under 160 lbs
Relatively injury-free history
Good biomechanics

I race in Tangents these days, which are about 10 oz and (in my opinion) is a lightweight trainer.  Works for me.  I've also done up to half marathons in Nike Zoom Waffle, which is a true flat, with no problems.  But, I have relatively good bio-mechanics, though I do have my share of injury history.
Paul Thomas
Lurker

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2007, 02:21:27 pm »

I'll add my two cents here. I have had great success with a pair of Saucony Grid Tangents. They only weigh 9.4 oz but provide great support and have worn pretty well. I wear orthotics in my everyday shoes to correct for overpronation and a leg length discrepancy. For my running shoes, I sort of build my own orthotics using lightweight arch support inserts and also a gel heel lift for my shorter leg. My Saucony's have worked out so well I've been very reluctant to replace them. I save them only for races, or occasionally for some speed work, and have run four marathons, a number of half marathons, and some shorter races in them over the past three years. I've set many PRs, placed in my age division, and even won my age division a couple of times in them. I actually used contact adhesive to apply a bicycle patch to where a piece of tread had pulled of so I could run in them in St. George this year, where I proceeded to drop my PR from 3:27 to 3:07. They came through again. I think it's time for new ones, but it's hard to give up your "lucky shoes".
Dallen
Posting Member

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2007, 05:21:56 pm »

I've been running my marathons in racing flats, most recently Brooks T5. However, I am not sure that it is really a good idea. I think that running in a lighter trainer, like the Grid Tangent, might be a better idea. Late in the race the combined pounding probably outweighs the benefit from less weight.

If you a light/fast/efficient runner I would definately wear a racing flat for shorter races.
Kory Wheatley
Posting Member

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2007, 11:25:20 am »

I really like the Asics Ohana Racer its actually 8.5 oz, but its build with support that you need for a marathon.  I've ran my last three marathons in them and love them.
Sean Sundwall
Posting Member

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2007, 03:24:12 pm »

Racing flats can make a real difference if your biomechanics will allow for it. I've been racing for a year in the Brooks ST3 Racer and love them. I pronate and these provide enough support to get me through a marathon just fine at half the weight.
Superfly
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2007, 06:18:43 pm »

Try something like the Asic Speedstar's. They are a lightweight trainer @ 8.9 oz they feel very fast. Use them in workouts for a while to get use to them and then try races. There is some support and wearing them can help your foot get stronger if you do it gradually. Then as you are more comfotable with racing flats the Brooks T5 is a must have @ 5.9 oz. I use them for some half marathons and everything under in distance.
Sean Sundwall
Posting Member

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2007, 10:36:44 pm »

The T5s are great if you don't need any support. I believe Brian Sell still runs in the T5s. If you need support like i do then the ST3s are the next best thing.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: