Fast Running Blog
May 11, 2024, 03:11:25 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Why do you run the Provo 1/2?  (Read 5175 times)
AndyBrowning
Posting Member

« on: August 10, 2008, 08:32:35 am »

It seems that there are the same issues with the Provo River 1/2 marathon every year: bus issues, annual course changes, misplaced mile markers, insufficient POP's, cryptic emails and website that are written in a language that somewhat resembles English.  Despite all of the drawbacks, the race always fills up and seems to be a favorite run of many.  I'm wondering, why do people keep going back?  What is your reason for running the Provo 1/2?
Josse
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2008, 12:49:37 pm »

HMMMM good questiong.  I think I do it because for the most part, well lets see.  I really don't know why I run it other than you get a great workout out of it.  I really don't know how he gets away with not having port o potties at the finish.  I would think Provo city would require it.  I would because I know that runners will go anywhere if there is not one around.  Who wants that kind of mess. Gross! 
I think he actually does a really good job at getting all those runners up that small canyon and this year is the only year that I have ran it that started late.  And it was only about 10 mins. 
« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 09:47:29 am by Josse » Logged
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2008, 02:42:04 pm »

I was wondering the same thing. Race reports year after year are filled with complaining, but people seem to shrug it off and give the race a free pass.
Michelle Lowry

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2008, 03:51:03 pm »

This is my first year doing it and I put it on my schedule because it fit my schedule perfectly, two weeks prior to Hobble Creek.  Regarding the criticisms: portapotties at the end need to be provided.  This is by far the most relevant criticism.  The race started only 12 minutes late by my garmin, so that is about the same lateness as DesNews 10k.  He could paint a line in the road for the start, that would be nice, but all of us got in a line behind his car so it was a fair start.  It is true the website needs work but so do most other race websites and I even run races without a website.   He had four water stops on the route when he promised two so that was a plus. Also, I thought the end was marked really well, and anyone who is in the top 20 should really study a map before they start a race anyway.  I was never confused at the end by where I should turn.  I have be the director of a race before, so perhaps I cut people more slack, but running a race is extremely difficult, so I tend to be on the lenient side.  If hobble creek starts way late like it did last year, though, I will be pissed. 
Adam R Wende

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2008, 08:15:43 pm »

Not sure. I've run it the last two years. First year missed the start swear it was early, this year started late and I was concerned that we were at the right place. However, in the end I didn't have any other problems I left pretty quick so I didn't notice the lack of porto-potties but agree that is a HUGE problem also though it caused some mental concern upfront in the end I did not have problems with all the turns though I wish they weren't there the course was still blazing fast and I had a good experience. Also, like the previous posters it fits well with my race schedule.
Kelli
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2008, 11:35:09 am »

I have only run it twice and actually have no other experience with 1/2's, but I think it is a really pretty race.  I like that it is on a trail (this year we missed that in some parts due to the fire) and does not kill my knees!!  I think there are plenty of water stops, I just wish there were potties with the stops!

I am sure running a race (as in putting it together, not physically running) is extremely difficult, so I just figure it all comes with the territory!  The late start did not bother me because I could see that they were trying to get the buses out, and I was glad!  I did not want to contend with them as I ran.  I just wish he had a megaphone or something to give direction and let us know when we would be starting!

My only other complaint has more to do with the people.  If you know you are slow, go to the back!  I am just your average every day runner, so I put myself in the middle of the pack for the start.  But then I had to try to get past all of these really slow people and even walkers.  That frustrates me.  I only have a marathon to compare that to, but I like how they set up pace markers so you know where you should be at the start.  That seems to really help with congestion!

Jose Jimenez
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2008, 11:10:48 am »

I think I will run Park City or Hobble Creek instead of this one next year.  Nice course but very disorganized.  It really makes me wonder how he can get 1,700+ people to come out for it and how he can get so many people to come back for it.
AndyBrowning
Posting Member

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2008, 02:03:06 pm »

It really makes me wonder how he can get 1,700+ people to come out for it and how he can get so many people to come back for it.
That's what I was trying to figure out.  I hear the same complaints every year but people keep supporting the race.  It seems like it would be easier for Curt to fix the problems than have to listen to the complaints year after year.
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2008, 10:44:22 am »

Curt puts the race together to the best of his organizational ability and the available budget. He tries to keep the cost down, it is a high priority to him, and he is a genius at it. As much flak as I've given him about the precision of the start, finish, and the mile markers, he actually does a much better job at it than many other race directors. This year he even got the course certified, except he had to change it in the last minute because of the fires. I was impressed that in spite of the rushed  change most of the mile markers were in the right locations, and the course length was reasonable as well.

To me he is an example of somebody who is not afraid to step forward, use his strengths, and not worry too much about exposing his weaknesses. I think others recognize this as well, and that is why they support his races. I encourage everybody to continue to do it.

He is always looking for volunteers. Get in touch with him next year if you would like to help.

Adam R Wende

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2008, 10:58:48 am »

Sasha, While we are on the topic of the Provo 1/2 what does Sasha Science say about the aided nature of this new course. I would guess between 2-3 minutes faster than flat?
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2008, 11:06:06 am »

Flat as in Houston? I think you would get about the same time, plus or minus a minute depending on how good you are on the downhill, and how well you deal with the altitude.

Houston-flat at our altitude? Yes, you would run about 2-3 minutes slower.
AndyBrowning
Posting Member

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2008, 02:24:42 pm »

To me he is an example of somebody who is not afraid to step forward, use his strengths, and not worry too much about exposing his weaknesses. I think others recognize this as well, and that is why they support his races. I encourage everybody to continue to do it.
Honestly, I think that most people run it despite Curt, not to support him.  I understand that putting together a race is very difficult and takes a lot of work.  It just seems like he could make a few changes that wouldn't be that difficult and wouldn't cost any money and it would appease the majority of the runners.  I know somebody who offered advice and assistance and it wasn't very well received.  On the other hand, there's no incentive for him to change.  The race fills up every year and people return year after year so why should he do anything different?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: