Fast Running Blog
May 11, 2024, 02:08:34 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Shoes for people who over pronate  (Read 4084 times)
Arie Beresteanu
Lurker

« on: May 01, 2008, 07:57:44 am »

Hi there,

I kinda hate my shoes. I over pronate and I have a very flat foot. My previous pair was Brooks Beast and my Current pair is Soucony Stabil 6. Both are excellent in terms of support and control. The Saucony even have this 'arch-lock' thing which I like. HOWEVER, both shoes are REALLY rigid. It's like running with two blocks on your feet. There is zero flexibility and zero response from the shoes.

I wonder if there are other over pronators with flat foot out there that have experience with other shoes or any suggestion.

Arie.
Fredrick Teichert
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2008, 11:52:08 pm »

Arie,
How much do you weigh and how much do you run? I've probably tried more than a dozen stability shoes from various manufacturers in the last two years. To be honest, the more I spend on corrective shoes, the greater my injuries. I've also felt a little... detached, I guess, when I've worn highly engineered shoes. I run in Vibram 5 Fingers a little to strengthen my feet and ankles, but I don't think barefoot running is what I'm looking for either. I've noticed that many of the better runners on the blog run in racing flats or trainers. That's my next step. I want to get back to the feeling I had when I first started running: it was just a joy to move and I never even thought about my feet. So far every shoe I've worn that cost over $80 has felt like a cast. I know this doesn't answer your question directly, but it should encourage feedback from some of the more experienced runners on the blog. I'd be happy to talk specific shoes, but within categories in my experience they're all the same. The bigger question is about category, not brand: are stability shoes really stable? And just because you overpronate, are they right for you?
Arie Beresteanu
Lurker

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2008, 11:52:19 am »

Fredrick, Thanks for the reply. First let me add a few more details about me. I weight about 140lb (5'10" tall) so I think I can be considered light weight. My weekly milage varies a lot but it is around 20-25 per week - so it's medium low milage. But I do plan to increase it and eventually train for the marathon.
I have to say that in terms of injuries I was very lucky (or smart?). I really didn't have any serious injury. Yes I do have pain here and there sometimes but it always goes away after a few days without me having to stop running. I usually reduce the pace and distance a bit and the pain eventually goes away. So if it has anything to do with the shoes I've been using, I'd like to keep using stability shoes.
The problem is that they are really ridgid. As you have put it, it's like running in a cast. If you say all brands are like that and if this is the price I need to pay for not having any injury and being able to keep running, then so be it.
Bonnie
Posting Member

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2008, 04:35:33 pm »

Hi Arie,

I pronate on one foot much more than the other.  I have tried stability shoes and had the same experience as Fredrick - and I, like you, don't like the feel of a rigid shoe. I am running in the NikeZoom Haywards now and many of my old biomechanical injuries have disappeared.  I have also had some positive results with Asics DS Trainers, but the high arch seems to exacerbate my PF.  I think most stability shoes are rigid, you might try "control" versus "stability" if you don't like the feel of the stability shoes.  Mizuno has both the WaveRiders were a little less rigid than some of the other stability shoes I have tried in the past.  I have also heard good things about some of the new Pearl Izumi shoes, they have a little more forefoot flexibilty.

Good luck!
Sean Sundwall
Posting Member

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2008, 04:08:01 pm »

Try the Trance 7s if you like Brooks shoes. I am a moderate pronator and they have been perfect yet not too rigid.
James Winzenz
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2008, 04:53:36 pm »

I am a medium overpronator as well, and for me, the more motion control the shoe I bought had, the more prone I was to injury.  In fact, the one year in high school I had problems with injury was the year I wore a pair of brooks beasts for my trainers (I was dumb and didn't know what I was looking for - doesn't mean they are wrong for everyone, just for me).  First of all, if you haven't already, go to a reputable running store and have them analyze your gait - all the good ones will do this now.  This will give you a better idea of what your feet need.  Even if you are a moderate to severe overpronator, you should probably not be in a motion control shoe at your weight.  Recently I have gotten back to wearing lighter stability shoes (Saucony Grid Tangent and Saucony ProGrid Guide) for my training - although they provide less arch support and stability, I find myself more "in tune" with the way my feet feel and less averse to injury.  You might also just consider purchasing over the counter arch supports to provide a little bit more support for your arches.
Fredrick Teichert
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2008, 11:40:58 pm »

Arie,
I just posted this most amazing reply to your inquiry, but my session logged out and we lost it. Dang! It was brilliant! Essentially, I've had gate analysis performed at five different stores. I've been given multiple shoe and insert recommendations and tried them all (shoes and inserts). I've run in stability or motion control shoes for over five years and still think my favorite shoe was a cheap neutral NB I bought on sale for $35 (now discontinued). Having run in over 15 brands/styles it's the only one that didn't make my feet numb somewhere during the course of a 10 mile run. Last week I went into a Road Runner in Portland that claims to be the largest running store in America (it wasn't all that big) and mashed every shoe they had to find the most pliable. The winners were Adidas AdizeroXT and a new Zoot shoe in two styles (quite expensive). I'll probably try one or the other. I'm still disappointed that nobody makes a pliable shoe without a built up heel. That's not the way my feet are built. It's no wonder manufacturers think runners are heel strikers: you can't land on your toes if you're wearing high heels! I'm going to start a shoe company. My shoes will be called Minimalos (for men) and Minimalas (for women). In spite of the negative Spanish connotation, I think they'll be a hit. Pliable forefoot, minimal heel and a photo insert across the top of the toe with my picture in it. (Alright, it doesn't have to be my picture.) Which makes me ask: "Fellow bloggers, just what would be your perfect shoe?" My new company, Minimalistos, wants to know!
Benn Griffin
Posting Member

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2008, 09:24:51 am »

I'm a severe overpronator and I just bought a pair of Brooks Addictions in March. Almost as bulky as the Brooks Beast but not as bad. I love them. They have a wide platform perfect for my flat feet Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: