Fast Running Blog
May 11, 2024, 10:56:01 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Saint George Marathon Downhill Training on Treadmill  (Read 4454 times)
April G
Posting Member

« on: June 08, 2011, 07:54:48 pm »

Okay, what percent downhill grade is Saint George approximately?  With lack of hills in Kansas I am going to have to simulate the downhill runs on a treadmill.  I tried -2% the other day.  What would be your suggestion if you had to guess?  I have a plan in my head to do some long runs with half going up, then half going down at a faster pace--simulating the way you Utah people run up and down a canyon in training.  Any suggestions are welcome!!
Matthew Rowley
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 11:54:21 am »

Sorry I don't have any suggestions.  I do wish you luck.  You must have a pretty good treadmill.  The average grade is about 2 percent but there are a number of hills in the course.  During long stretches you will be running down 4 to 6 percent grades.  I don't know how well a treadmill simulates those but I would try and get used to running down hills in that range.
AndyBrowning
Posting Member

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 12:42:50 pm »

Just to follow up on what Matt said, the average grade is -2%. There are 6 miles throughout the race where the down grade is between 3.5%-6% (miles 6, 7, 15, 16, 21 and 23).  Veyo (mile 7.5-8.5) averages 3.5% incline with the other uphills not much more than 1%.  There are only 4 miles whose net elevation change is positive so you may want to do a little more downhill training than uphill.
April G
Posting Member

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 05:47:44 pm »

Thank-you so much for the input!  I appreciate it greatly!  I am using the treadmills at the gym that do decline--I am not sure how steep they will decline but I will definitely have to practice with some of those steeper declines.  At -2% I already felt that I was hurtling down and about to go head over heels so there is a lot of work to do apparently!  This is good information--I may try to set up some medium-long runs on the treadmill mimicking the inclines and declines of portions of Saint George like maybe miles 5-17?...just to get used to the pounding and muscles use of the different ups and downs.  I have some hills around here...just not long ones.  Do you think hill repeats would be of any benefit(screaming both up and down the hill)?
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 07:50:58 pm »

April- yes, hill repeats could definitely help.  Pound down them.

I bet you could find some hills somewhere around there- roads down to a river crossing, freeway overpass, something.  Might not be real long, but I bet you can find something.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: