Fast Running Blog
May 11, 2024, 12:42:18 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: coaches for mortals  (Read 4494 times)
April G
Posting Member

« on: April 02, 2011, 08:22:47 am »

Although I am just a normal runner, certainly not elite, I am interested in having coaching guidance.  Is there a way to find coaches, online or locally, to coach "regular" runners, and how costly might this be?  I am interested if anyone has any experience with this.
Bonnie
Posting Member

« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 10:11:29 am »

I am coached by Greg Mcmillan (for about 8 years now), I really like him - www.mcmillanrunning.com
If I were not with Greg, and interested in running marathons primarily, I would look into Kevin Beck and Pete Pfitzinger http://www.pfitzinger.com/services.shtml.  I also have a friend who is a professional triathlete now, but used to be a professional runner who is a wonderful person and was coached by Greg when she was a professional runner, Kelly Lilijeblad http://www.kellyliljeblad.com/ (look under the coaching tab).

The primary factor is that you have to have a good relationship with your coach, and trust them, so your instinct is important ... you need to talk to them.

Good luck April.  I am sorry I have not mailed the shoes yet, with Dean not driving it has been super busy.
April G
Posting Member

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, 05:27:09 pm »

Thanks for the info Bonnie and don't sweat the shoes..I've been doing alright without them!  Pool running takes some getting used to but I am starting to find a groove.  I hope Dean heals quickly..it's been a long road from the sounds of it.
Superfly
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2011, 09:58:08 pm »

I'm pretty good but really expensive:)
Bonnie
Posting Member

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2011, 12:17:30 am »

but worth every penny Superfly ;-)
Superfly
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2011, 10:15:37 am »

worth every penny:)
Charles
Lurker

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2011, 12:30:46 pm »

April,
I don't know where you live and I am certainly no expert on coaching, but I know that here is San Francisco at two of the hospitals (CPMC & UCSF) they have running clinics, evaluation services (video gait analysis, core-strengthening classes,metabolic testing, et al) and group runs from beginner to elite, focussing on running efficiently and injury-free. Perhaps where you live there is a hospital with similar services? Perhaps that isn't quite what you are looking for, but maybe thru that avenue you could find a local coach?

Charles
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: