Fast Running Blog
May 11, 2024, 02:18:23 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: How fast do you have to be to wear a singlet?  (Read 9655 times)
baldnspicy
Lurker

« on: June 21, 2010, 09:19:05 pm »

Half question, half poll.  This thought was sparked by one of my recent posts, and a comment by my buddy, flatlander

Here it is:  How fast of a runner do you have to be to wear a singlet and not look like a wannabe?

I have one of the cotton FRB singlets.  I've worn it in one race I ran early this year.  I haven't worn it since because I'm not a fast runner...yet.  (I'm quite certain all the people passing me were laughing to themselves about the slowsky in the FRB singlet)  I'm trying to figure out how other runners handle the tanning issue so they look good in a singlet - or maybe they wear them all the time?  How fast do you have to be to wear a singlet on training runs?  I don't have a problem seeing anyone that fits in a singlet wear one for a race.  But for training runs, it seems like you just think you're hot stuff or something unless you truly are a fast runner.  A similar question could be asked about wearing the tight racing shirts for bikers that promote some company.  If you're like me and don't ride fast, you look like a loser.  But if you're fast, people wonder what racing team you ride for.   Smiley

Personally, I don't care what I look like when I run (matching my outfit isn't even a thought, my bouncing fat isn't a worry, etc), but I want to be able to wear the singlet in September without having a "runners tan" (aka farmer's tan).

So, anyone want to weigh in?   Cheesy
Rob Murphy
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 05:58:29 am »

Interesting question. I know that when I get passed early in a race by a guy in a cotton t-shirt that he will almost certainly come back to me later on!

I'll just say this. All sports have the proper clothing and equipment that help you compete more comfortably and successfully. Running is no different. Wearing the right clothing is a sign that you are taking your sport seriously.
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 06:11:34 am »

I have tan lines. Don't worry about it.
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 08:04:11 am »

I'm pasty white with slighly less-white lower arms.  I don't worry about it.
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 08:08:03 am »

I think it's also important to note that all runners look absolutely ridiculous. (So do all bikers, triathletes, football players, cheerleaders, etc). I mean, the idea of putting on little shorty shorts and a singlet is silly. Tights and half-tights look even more silly and ugly. But it's comfortable and part of the culture, so go with it. But let's all just remember that NO ONE is cool-looking in shorty shorts and a singlet.  Smiley
Steve P
Posting Member

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2010, 08:31:09 am »

I remember when I was a teenager and running a local 10K. Lots of guys were wearing fancy running outfits, and I was intimidated. All I had was some shorts that my mom had made for me and a cotton t-shirt. But once we started running, I beat many of the guys with the fancy racing gear (and enjoyed doing it).

Now, many years later, I have a FRB singlet (generously given to me by Dustin), and I have some nice running shorts. So I'm sure some teenager will have fun kicking my rear in the same 10K in a couple of weeks.

So my thought is to do whatever keeps you happy and think more about how you are improving than how you look.
April G
Posting Member

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2010, 09:15:07 am »

Nice topic!  This brings up yet another question for me--when is it okay for a dude to run shirtless and for a chic to wear a sportsbra only? It's getting pretty hot and humid outside here and even the most modest are considering ditching as much clothing as possible.
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2010, 10:27:40 am »

I never wear a tank top except in races because the benefit of better ventilation at the cost of more sun exposure of the shoulders is not worth it to me.

Regarding the shoe/apparel issue. It is not what you wear that makes you good. One time Bill Rodgers showed up at a world-class 20 mile race and finished third wearing jeans. He did not have anything else at the time. Jeans actually do not slow you down that bad. I estimate that I could run a 5 K in jeans within 20 seconds of what I would have done in shorts if the temperature is less than 60 F. Maybe I should one day show up at some 5 K where people dress up a lot but do not run very fast :-)

I think we get too caught up in the issues of shoe/apparel that we pay almost no attention to the real determinants of success unless they are packaged in the right brand of shorts and shoes. Which really means we cannot in truth tell fast from slow. The gear gives you 10 seconds a mile at best.

If somebody beats you by 3 minutes in a 5 K, where did the other 50 seconds per mile go? Would you be able to see it if the guy wore sneakers and basketball shorts? I suggest once you can, you will be a better runner yourself.
Joe
Lurker

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2010, 02:09:05 pm »

I think you should accentuate your farmer's tan with pride, then people will be talking about that yokel with the ridiculous tan lines that they couldn't keep up with.  But I've never cared too much about personal appearance, just ask my wife.  I'm that guy in the race that shows up in a cotton t-shirt and gym shorts.  I always look around and everyone else looks like a serious runner but me.  But, then I show them... that, yes, they were right to judge me.
Joe Furse
Posting Member

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2010, 04:08:30 pm »

Paul, I resent your statement that everyone looks ridiculous in short shorts and a singlet.  I, personally, look awesome.  I love showing off my rock hard quads (read: chicken legs) with a tan line halfway up and complementing pair of toothpick arms.  Smiley  haha

Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2010, 04:21:15 pm »

I bet you look even more awesome in UnderArmor.
baldnspicy
Lurker

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2010, 06:04:42 am »

Thanks for all the replies!  To clarify,  I don't really care too much about the tan lines.  I've almost always had a farmer's tan which I can now call my runner's tan.  The few times I've run shirtless, I've noticed the sweat under my arms and along my torso where my arms brush and I can see how I'd possibly get some chafing there if I didn't protect those areas.  If I run in shirts all the time but then switch to a singlet, I imagine I'd have some of those same issues or maybe different ones popping up.

So, does everyone run in shirts then switch to singlets for the races?  I tend to burn pretty easily, so I figure 2 hours or so in the sun running a Half in a singlet may result in some sunburn. 

I totally agree with the need to be serious about the sport.  I wear tech t-shirts, good socks and shorts, as well as properly fitted shoes.  I also wear doorags to protect my bald head.  For the last couple of races (10k and a 5k), I've worn my somewhat funny Sesame Street cotton t-shirts.  I don't know if I'd wear them for a Half, but they were fine for these races.  I'm not fast enough to be worried about showing someone up.  My running is for me, but one day I dream of winning my AG in some race somewhere...anywhere.   Smiley

If I'm going to run in a singlet, and taking advice from here to not wear anything you haven't worn before, I figure I'd need to wear the singlet on some long runs.  The FRB singlet is just one of the cotton ones, so I don't know if I'd wear that for a race unless I'd worn it a few times on long runs and didn't have an issue with chafing.  I'm not fast enough to wear (or get) one of the tech FRB singlets, so do I just stick with the tech shirts?

April - I should start another post on the shirtless.  How toned do your pecs and 6-pack have to be to run shirtless?  Tongue  I've never been one that's been toned enough to want to show my bod off.  I have run shirtless a few times from my work gym, but since we have to have a shirt on in the gym, I just strip it off outside, tuck it in the back of my shorts and I'm off.  Since I sweat a ton, I need the shirt to wipe the eyes and forehead occasionally once my doorag gets saturated.  So, I don't know that I'd be able to run completely sans shirt unless I had wristbands on to wipe the sweat.

Honestly, everyone, I don't care what I look like when I run.  I run for fun and for my fitness, not to show off my killer tan or awesome muscles or coordinated outfits.  I just thought it was an interesting question to ask and get some feedback on.
Mike Davis
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2010, 05:06:42 pm »

I recommend wearing a polyester, button-down dress shirt with some matching board shorts Smiley
Seriously, I think the only running clothes that really matter are socks and underwear. Chafing or blisters in those areas will probably slow down even the fastest runner.

-Mike

Running without hills is like motorcycling without corners.
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2010, 07:07:14 pm »

As one who has run a 5k in a button down dress shirt and cut off slacks, I can tell you they are hotter than normal clothes!  And they ride up...
Mike Davis
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2010, 07:50:29 pm »

My BQ outfit Smiley

-Mike

Running without hills is like motorcycling without corners.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: