Fast Running Blog
May 11, 2024, 03:10:21 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Race weight: What is it and how do you get there?  (Read 7433 times)
April G
Posting Member

« on: January 03, 2010, 04:58:26 pm »

I hear the term "race weight" a lot.  From what I've read and heard, the ideal race weight for a runner is lower than what is considered ideal body weight by the general population.  How do you know what your ideal race weight is?  How do you set a realistic "race weight" goal without overshooting it to the point that you are unhealthy?   And, the big one, how do you flush out that last 5 or 10 or 15 pounds that would bring you down to "race weight"?  If I were to just make generally healthy choices and eat based on appetite I end up at my current weight--109 for a 5'1" gal, and it doesn't go down--hasn't for 6 months, but looking around I am somewhat shorter and heftier than my faster counterparts.  I've heard all sorts of stuff--low carb, vegan, the paleolithic-type diet that Paul is on, etc...  Does anyone have any other stories for something that has worked well for them and is sustainable--and is doable on a tight budget?
Bonnie
Posting Member

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 07:05:00 pm »

Ideal race weight is different for different people.  Many of my friends that are elite runners are underweight according to BMI, but I also have many friends that do just fine within normal BMI limits.  I try to stay on the lower end of the BMI chart because that is when I run and feel my best (I am in the 20-21 range and am not skinny by any definition).  I don't do diets, I am a vegetarian - but not a vegan (social and health reasons). I just try to make sure I eat enough fruits and veggies (most of my diet), get enought protein (soy products, some nuts and grains, sometimes eggs).  I like carbs, so I don't limit them - but I don't overdo them either.  Mostly what I do is watch how much I eat (I exercise a lot of portion control) and I eat at regular times, so don't get hungry, and avoid processed foods.  For me, the not getting hungry helps me not overeat - I am never full, never hungry.  I also try to enjoy the eating, not do it mindlessly, that way I eat slowly and my mind and my stomach are in "sync".  If you want to get skinny, it might be harder to use my method, but for me, I just want to be healthy. You cant judge yourself by others, everyone is different and ideal is different for everyone. 

I just have to say, not that you will have this problem as you seem pretty level-headed, be careful.  I have had many running friends try to lose too much weight and being too obsessed with it (too much "dieting") is more harmful than being a couple pounds overweight.  Being underweight, especially for women, can do a lot of harm on your bones and hormones and some effects are permanent.
April G
Posting Member

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 07:54:41 pm »

Bonnie--eating regularly and not getting hungry appeals to me--I like to eat and don't feel good when I am hungry.  Being someone who smoked for many years and being female, I have concerns about osteoporosis.  Do you eat/drink much dairy products?  It is hard for me not too eat too much food-mainly because my day starts early, around 7, and it ends late when I get off work close to midnight.  I work on an ambulance and often not eating after, say, 6pm is just not realistic, I feel like I need food in the morning, lunch, dinner, and an evening snack around 9 at the very least to get me through to the end.  I have experimented with eating around 1500 calories in a day because all the literature says that is about right for my size to lose a little weight and I was just constantly hungry.
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 10:32:17 pm »

Loaded question.  First of all, I wouldn't obsess about race weight.  If you eat healthy foods in moderation and exercise daily, your body will adjust your weight to where it should be.  Some runners are naturally very skinny, but there are many others (including Olympians) who are not twigs.  If your body is not naturally a twig, don't force it.  And, I'm sure each body is different in terms of how easily weight comes on and off.

There really is such a thing as race weight, though, and it is important for runners.  Each "extra" pound you carry around during a race slows you down.  For me, when I'm doing zero to medium mileage, my body stabilizes around 145-155 lbs.  But, once my mileage hits 60-70+ miles/week, I slowly start losing weight (even if I eat more).  I will get down to as low as 133-135 lbs, at which point my body won't go any lower.  When I'm below 135-140, my cheeks look a bit sunken, so I don't think it would be healthy to force my way lower.  This just naturally occurs, though.  And even at this weight, I will vary 5+ lbs per week, but I don't pay attention to that small of variation.

The only thing that I want to note is that limiting yourself to 1500 calories does not seem smart to me if you run a lot.  Your body needs more calories and you can damage yourself if you shortchange it by large amounts, and your body can even go into "famine" mode where it counter-intuitively makes more fat.  Of course, you need to be slightly caloric-negative to lose weight, but large shortfalls can be dangerous.  Eat healthy foods in moderation based on feel, and let your body naturally take care of the weight.  You will know your weight is low enough, especially when you honestly look in the mirror.

My two cents.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 10:34:10 pm by Jon Allen » Logged
April G
Posting Member

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2010, 06:14:29 am »

Thanks for the input John--I have already realized that 1500 calories/day won't work for me Smiley  I don't have the discipline to be that hungry.  I don't want to obsess about weigh, but I would like to be at the correct "race weight" and where I am is certainly not it in all honesty.
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2010, 06:27:39 am »

Race weight is basically a circular reference. It just is what is it. It's whatever your weight happens to be when you're racing really really well and feeling really really good. I fully agree with others that it's very unhealthy (dangerous actually) to obsess about weight (not that I think you're going there, but just a warning). I figure if one is eating healthily (avoiding processed foods, too many sweets, etc) and running a fair amount of mileage, their weight will naturally settle at the proper equilibrium. And that's that. Eat healthy, run a lot, and don't sweat the rest. I also hate the feeling of being hungry. I always eat until satiated. I have no idea how many calories I eat, but I imagine it's a lot. According to Wii Fit, my BMI is on the very low range of "Normal". I am 5'9", currently 130 lbs, which is basically my racing weight. Sometimes I'll dip under 130. My weight stays pretty steady these days on the paleo type diet. I used to get up over 150 lbs during winters, during times of inactivity and poor eating (by anyone's standards). I think there are lots of good diets out there, but I would generally avoid the ones that restrict calories in favor of the ones that allow you to eat as much as you want and restrict the bad food instead. To me, "diet" is life-long commitment and habits, rather than a temporary thing I do to adjust my weight. Lifestyle is key, weight will take care of itself, and varies from person to person.
Bonnie
Posting Member

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2010, 09:50:37 am »

Just as a follow-up April, how do you know where you are is not "ideal" race weight?  Your weight and height ratio look pretty normal to me and you are racing very well, especially considering you just started running!  Personally, I would continue to train smart, set realistic goals and you will see that your body will conform to your training and level.  One thing to keep in mind is that running is a process, it takes time and work to continue to progress.  You will not see overnight success, if you want to be a good runner  you have to think long term  - years not weeks or months. 

I hope you don't mind me saying this, but I would seriously think about getting a coach or finding a good running program that can add some structure to your running, cut out all the processed food you can, don't snack on anything unless it is fruit or has some health benefit and see if you don't get down to "ideal" race weight naturally.   It might take a few months, but in the meantime you will be getting healthier and running stronger and things will happen naturally.

(oh, and in answer to your question about dairy - for breakfast I usually have lowfat yogurt mixed with blueberries and granola that is about it for dairy)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 11:59:46 am by Bonnie » Logged
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2010, 03:07:26 pm »

Good points by Jon and Paul. Just train and eat healthy to satiation. The weight will go to where it needs to be.
Michelle Lowry
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2010, 04:53:05 pm »

I agree with all.  If you train right and hard, you should want to eat right, which will help you meet ideal running weight, which is likely a bit lower than standard bmi ranges.  I still think you and your husband should move to south utah county so we can train together.
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2010, 10:42:58 am »

Utah has one of the lowest unemployment rates in the nation.
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2010, 11:01:10 am »

Utah has one of the lowest unemployment rates in the nation.

What does that have to do with anything?  Huh
Kory Wheatley
Posting Member

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2010, 12:46:22 pm »

I thought the topic was on race weight not unemployment.  Calorie counting just doesn't work unless you want to end up doing it your whole life.  Jon, Paul have the answer.  Exercise, eat little meals frequently and that will help not to overeat.  I agree with Jon 1500 calories for a runner cannot give you the energy to run efficient or perform well.
April G
Posting Member

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2010, 07:24:03 pm »

Thanks for all the input everybody.  I am going with the eat-to-satiation-but-healthy-food-only-plan.  No processed food, no white flour or sugar, no fried food.  I do have a nagging sweet tooth so I figured dessert and a diet soda once a week will keep me away from the blowout that would surely occur if I got too restrictive--this I know from experience.  Michelle I would feel accomplished if I could get close enough to train in your dust cloud. 
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2010, 09:00:06 pm »

Paul - Michelle was suggesting April should move to South Utah County. Unless you have 100% telecommuning freedom, or independently wealthy, you would need a job at the destination if you wanted to move.
Steve P
Posting Member

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2010, 03:13:42 pm »

I usually don't feel satiated until I've had a big piece of coconut cream pie.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: