Fast Running Blog
May 11, 2024, 05:31:56 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: First Race away from home..need advice  (Read 4081 times)
April
Lurker

« on: May 23, 2009, 12:20:36 am »

I want to sign up for a 1/2 that is 3 hours away. It is an inaugural race and I'm pretty excited. I was looking for hotels and I was just wondering should I get something super close to the race? I ran my first 1/2 last year and was pretty tired...is it wise to go sight seeing the next day? I ask b/c I wonder if walking around would aide or hinder recovery. Last year I just laid around and slept a lot.

I want to know if I can treat this as a mini vacation? Sightseeing  etc.

Thank you and I'm interested to hear any other advice you all can give in regards to traveling to a race.
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2009, 01:01:08 am »

Sightseeing the day after the half?  Sure, that's just fine- just walking around won't hinder recovery, and may help a bit by getting the blood flowing.  Being on your feet a lot the day before the race may affect you during the race a bit, but walking around after is great, even the same day.

Rather than a hotel, you could see if you can stay with some runners in the area for free- unless you prefer a hotel.
April
Lurker

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2009, 10:09:50 am »

I thought about that but I don't know anyone in the Madison area...plus I have hotel points...now I just have to find someone to watch my 3 dogs!
Gary Culver
Lurker

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2009, 10:32:03 am »

Walking around the day after is great, but never, ever, never, ever, never let a really cute blonde talk you into spending the day prior to a marathon walking around Sea World... in the sun... on pavement...   
Davy Crockett
Lurker

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 03:40:07 pm »

A little extreme -- but a couple years ago I combined a race with a vacation...to Hawaii.   It was a 100-mile race in the mountains above Waikiki.    I quit after about 75 miles because I didn't want to ruin the rest of the vacation hobbling around.  So I guess it is possible to have a vacation ruin your race!
Mike Davis
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 10:44:43 pm »

If it is an option, I would stay in a hotel near the start line so I could walk there and not have to worry about parking before the race.
Spending some time on your feet sight seeing after the race would also be good for you Smiley

-Mike

Running without hills is like motorcycling without corners.
April
Lurker

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2009, 07:32:51 am »

Gary--that is hilarious.

I have wanted to do my first marathon in Hawaii. But you are right--I may not want to ruin a vacation. I may just have to either do a full one before that or just do a 1/2.

Well I think I found  a sitter for the dogs and so therefore I will be able to go on my weekend getaway!
jtshad
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2009, 07:38:21 am »

Definitely turn races away from home into mini or full vacations, might as well make the trip worth the expense!   Most of my away races are exactly that, either with the family or if I happen to go alone.  This year, I ran the Walt Disneyworld marathon then spent the rest of the week with the family in the parks (including all day at the Magic Kingdom the day of the race!).  Walking after the race is great active recovery time!

As for the hotel, get as close to the action as possible (and within budget...or points will allow) to make the experience as good as possible.  That is unless the start/finish is far out and staying closer to sightseeing activities may work better. 
Jennifer Schmidt
Lurker

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2009, 06:47:29 pm »

I am just reading this for the first time, therefore I hope your race hasn't already passed.  I have completed a few marathons and half-marathons away from home.  I would limit your walking the day prior to the race.  If they have an expo, you can walk around there, just don't do it for hours.  I have always found that walking after the race and the next day have been good.  I have found that it keeps my legs from stiffening up too much.  If you are going to travel, you might as well get a chance to see the sights.  If you can get a room close to the start, it does help.  I would also see if any of the hotels are providing bus service to and from the race.   Usually the host hotel has that available.  Good Luck and have fun!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: