Fast Running Blog
May 10, 2024, 05:47:25 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Evolution Running DVD - review & recommendation  (Read 1900 times)
ChromeDome Steve
Lurker

« on: August 31, 2009, 12:27:04 pm »

I did a search and couldn't find any results in this forum for "Evolution Running"

I just purchased this DVD.  The reviews on Amazon are worth reading:

http://www.amazon.com/Evolution-Running-Faster-Fewer-Injuries/dp/B000A7GEGW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1251741192&sr=8-1

I have watched it twice, but need to view it several more times, I think, and feel like it is something I can come back to over time.

My impression is that much of the information consists of things I have *read* in other books, but never *seen* demonstrated. For someone like me who is trying to "re-learn" how to run and avoid injury, I think the video is much more effective than book descriptions. I wish I had found this DVD months ago.

Good and Bad points of the video. The Bad first:

The video spends too much time explaining why heel-striking is wrong, with graphics etc. The whole video is 45 minutes long, and I would have liked to see more drills or running examples of proper form. I didn't need convincing of this fact, but I guess they realize that 99% of the world strikes heel-first in chunky shoes, so they felt it was merited?

There are several drills used where people are standing still. They didn't really explain how you get from hopping up and down drills to "moving forward" with proper running form. It's a small nit, but they totally ignore that.

The Good:
The video comes from the premise that forefoot striking (as happens naturally when running barefoot) is the correct way to run. To their credit, they don't force you to run barefoot, but tell you to "apply these principles in running shoes" -- a very logical approach. They may even mention minimal running/racing flats, but I would have to watch it again to be sure.

Plenty of video showing elite-caliber triathletes (and some regular-looking people too) running with proper form and poor form. This was what I wanted to see.

Some excellent graphical "analogies" comparing efficient running motion to things like a bicycle wheel rolling down hill.

Sufficient warnings to take it slow and avoid injury.

An EXCELLENT (if brief) troubleshooting section to the video. After watching the whole video I was not surprised at all that I had made basically EVERY mistake listed in the troubleshooting section! I had attempted many of these form/cadence changes (found in other books) and I did not alter my distance/intensity in the least, hence I over-stressed my body and caused pain/injury. Dang.

In short, I highly recommend this video for people who want to become forefoot strikers. Especially beginners like me.  I wish I had had seen this video years ago, and that is probably the best thing I could say about it.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: