Fast Running Blog
May 02, 2024, 12:56:01 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: VO2 Max  (Read 16393 times)
Steve Morrin
Posting Member

« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2008, 04:10:35 pm »

I believe Greg Lemond had a VO2 max of 92 - one of the highest ever recorded (not that this is terribly relevant to the conversation Smiley)
There's apparently some norwegian skiier who had a v02 of 96.
Jeff Necessary
Lurker

« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2008, 10:21:22 pm »

I think the highest recorded VO2 numbers have generally belonged to world-class cross country skiers, perhaps because they utilize their upper body in their sport much more than runners or cyclists. Lance Armstrong's VO2 figure, I think, was 85 or so, which is obviously impressive (and a heckuva lot higher than mine), but some of those Nordic skiing guys are well into the 90s IIRC.
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2008, 10:15:49 pm »

I've read in a magazine recently that a Norwegian skiier had the highest ever, with second highest belonging to Matt Carpenter (he of high altitude running fame, esp. Pikes Peak marathon).  I can see how it would be a huge advantage in high altitude running.
Shauna
Lurker

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2008, 01:50:07 pm »

Sasha,
I still have the test file, and you're welcome to look at it.  How do I get it to you?  I think there was RER data in there, but I don't know how to read it.
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2008, 03:10:17 pm »

E-mail it to me to sasha@asksasha.com.
Shauna
Lurker

« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2008, 03:36:03 pm »

OK.  The documents are at home, so I will have to bring them to work tomorrow, have them scanned, and then I will send them to you.

I'm getting closer to that second star...
Jeff Linger
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2008, 10:24:11 am »

The following pertains to VO2 max. I thought it fit in, but it comes from a 3 part article on running economy - a thread I want to start and will do so soon. If you're interested in the 3 part article you may begin reading it here ... http://www.sportsscientists.com/2007/12/running-economy-part-i.html

In the meantime, on to the section of the article pertaining to VO2max.

"Zersenay Tadese's VO2max was reported as 83 ml/kg/min. This is a very high measurement, but that's expected of a world class long distance runner. When compared to other world class athletes, Tadese's value 'disappears' into the crowd. In otherwords, if we lined up a group of athlete's VO2max values and asked you to pick the the two-time World Champion based on VO2max alone, there's a good chance you'd be wrong! Just as you would have been completely wrong when you had to guess that Derek Clayton could run a 2:08 marathon with his VO2max of "only" 69 ml/kg/min.

Of course, when it comes to VO2max, there's a lot of hype around the measurements. It has become something of an urban legend, much like the size of the fish you caught on your last fishing expedition which gets larger every time you re-tell the story! So depending on who you believe, Greg Lemond had a VO2 max of 92.5ml/kg/min, the Cross-Country skier Bjorn Daehlie was at 96 ml/kg/min in the off-season, and the physiologist who tested him predicted that he'd be above 100 ml/kg/min when he was "fit"! We're pretty sure you can relate your own stories of this super-human measurement!

Incidentally, while we're talking super-human, the Siberian huskies who take part in Alaska's Iditarod Sled Dog Race have been reported as having VO2 max values of 240 ml/kg/min! Eat your heart out, Bjorn!"
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: