Fast Running Blog
May 16, 2024, 04:55:57 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Marathon "redemption" race  (Read 16489 times)
James Winzenz
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2008, 04:11:51 pm »

Scott, the desert classic marathon is actually out and back twice - they changed the course, and the course map they have is incorrect.  I created a course for it in the course tool on the blog, if you want to take a look at it.  I was seriously considering this one since it is only about 30 miles from where I live, and I suppose that if others were going to do this one, I might reconsider.  It is a small marathon (thus the slow times), but the elevation is not too bad.  I was just planning on doing London's Run (1/2 marathon) that day, as it benefits children's cancer charities, and was probably going to do Los Angeles on Feb. 16.  Kate Danner ran Tucson last year trying to get an OTQ, I believe.
Josse

« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2008, 04:17:03 pm »

Tucson is the cousre I finally quilified on, that year I ran SG in 3:53 and Tucson in 3:29.  I hardly ever run SG that well.  What I remeber (back in 2000) is that Tuscon is like a mini SG, it has the ups and the rolling as well as the down just on a smaller scale.  I remeber hating the end, it was a good uphill.  I have heard they changed the ending.
Jeff
Lurker

« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2008, 05:01:35 pm »

I haven't seen anyone mention the Las Vegas Marathon on Sunday, December 7.  Although it is a Devine race.....nuff said.  I may give it a try this year just because I live in Vegas.  In the past couple of years they have had pretty crappy weather and December weather in Vegas is pretty unpredictable and usually involves wind.  Las Vegas is a fairly flat loop course so the wind would only be a factor for certain parts of the course.
Scott Zincone
Posting Member

« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2008, 05:59:13 pm »

I see some were looking for info on the CIM.  One of our newest bloggers, though he has not posted a run yet, said in his bio he ran a 2:19:35 there last year.  He was 4th overall and the 1st American.

http://wcapsoldier.fastrunningblog.com/

MarkP_
Lurker

« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2008, 07:53:47 pm »

Hi All.  First time poster, long time blogger. 

I drove Tucson three weeks ago because it is my "Fall" marathon.  It's back-roads the first few miles with a big drop early.  Then you get good rolling hills next 2-3 miles before a steady grade down toward the 1/2 point.  Rolling hills again about 1/2 way, then gradual down again toward the finish where you have some rolling hills again the last two miles.  The course is open to traffic and almost 1/2 it is on a 5 lane road.  I'm still excited to run it and would love to see some other bloggers down there.  It does look fast, but without Veyo or the extreme drops at St. George.

In regards to Vegas, I have run this one and it is flat.  The first 5 miles is great as you run down the strip then it is boring!  You run through and industrial area on 5-lane road...but it is flat and can be fast.
Mike Warren
Lurker

« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2008, 10:36:51 pm »

I ran Tucson with the Wild Bull and Steve Hooper (Steve got sick, did not run) last year.  The 2:24 winning time is a little mis-leading. (its was a Kenyan)  They changed the course a couple days prior to the race.  It was close to the middle of the marathon.  They added an up and back section.  This was a BEAST, very steep rollers, a total of 6 miles.  Also, the first mile is down hill but then you get 2 miles of steep climb.  I don't know if that is part of the original course or not.  When you look at the elevation map, it's all nice downhill.  This is very mis-leading.  I have never heard or seen so many people mad at a marathon.  I was fine with it.  Had not been training before I ran this race and had no expectations.  If they bring the original course back, yes you will have a chance at a very fast time. 

One other detail.  They do not shut the road down.  You are running on the shoulder and its not very wide.  There was not alot of local support.  Steve, Bull and myself had a hard time even finding people who new a marathon was being ran.  We did have a great time and the scenry is pretty cool.  I would love to run this baby one more time.  If they change the course back.

Michelle Lowry

« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2008, 05:14:38 am »

Tucson is not near sea level, for those who care about that.  It's about 2,500, and is the main reason Tucson is cooler than the Phoenix area, if what I heard is correct.  I am looking for a flat, sea level race.  Phoenix's elevation is about 1,100.  Is there a difference in racing speed between 200ft elevation (that's what I assume a true sea level race would be) and 1,100ft?
James Winzenz

« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2008, 08:51:21 am »

I would say absolutely, there is a difference.  I remember one time last year when we spent some time by the beach in Del Mar with Lybi's parents.  I went for a run one evening and was amazed at how easy it was to run faster and longer.  And that was coming from 1300 ft elevation to about 100.  If you want a pancake flat, sea-level marathon, you ought to consider the Walt Disney World marathon.  Starting elevation: 89 ft.  Ending elevation: 89 ft.  Minimum elevation: 74 ft.  Maximum elevation: 110 ft.  That one is on January 11.
James Winzenz

« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2008, 08:55:11 am »

Whoops, that one is apparently on a Sunday as well.  I thought it was on a Saturday.
Sean Sundwall
Posting Member

« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2008, 03:49:08 pm »

If you believe Jack Daniels, then altitude doesn't really have a verifiable impact until aboiut 4,000 feet. I run most of my runs at 1,000 feet and there is absolutely no noticeable difference when I am running at sea level. I wouldn't let a 2,500 elevation race deter you. It won't make a difference unless you let your head tell you otherwise. Even when I travel from Seattle to visit family in SLC, I don't really notice much of a difference.
Kory Wheatley
Posting Member

« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2008, 04:53:11 pm »

The St. Jude Marathon looks like a very nice course and race.  I really want to try and run something as flat as possible and not aided.  My goal is to get a good analysis on an effort with no favorable downhill.
Jim Flowers
Lurker

« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2008, 02:20:39 pm »

It has only been one day since my marathon so I might still be a little out of my mind but I am considering a redemption marathon as well.  I am looking at Huntsville.  It is my company's headquarters so I travel there often.  I have heard good things about it and the course looks favorable.  It is also a Saturday race and last year's winning time was around 2:27 so some of you might have a chance at winning some prize money. 
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: