Fast Running Blog
May 16, 2024, 02:13:14 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Marathon "redemption" race  (Read 16487 times)
Sean Sundwall
Posting Member

« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2008, 01:31:17 pm »

Wow...Space Coast looks very winnable
Scott Hughes
Lurker

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2008, 05:08:20 pm »

I am interested in any information on the CIM. It looks to have a nice downhill profile. I would love to get a BQ. I need to shave 22 minutes of my St George time in the elements. I feel like I can be ready to do that in December. I would love to do a group run, even if I would be the slowest of the bunch!
Looking at the profile on Tucson I like it a lot too!
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 05:13:24 pm by Scott Hughes » Logged
Sean Sundwall
Posting Member

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2008, 05:46:03 pm »

I only know one person who has run CIM...Mike Sayenko. It's what he used to OTQ. Based on my conversations with him about it, I wouldn't get too excited about the elevation drop in terms of aiding your time much. That said, I have heard it's a beautiful one to run.
Kory Wheatley
Posting Member

« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2008, 01:20:30 am »

I'm looking to run CIM myself, because it's not too bad of a travel.  But I could be persuaded to run somewhere else that everyone else is going to go to.
Superfly
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2008, 01:15:04 pm »

Sasha in this case it was the weather that most of us struggled with. As for myself a local 5k sounds like death- plus it's not going to scratch the itch.
Dave Holt
Posting Member

« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2008, 01:32:13 pm »

Chad was telling me a little about CIM and said it wasn't as great (speed wise) as it looked.
Kory Wheatley
Posting Member

« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2008, 02:52:40 pm »

Dave - we need to get Chad on here and give us details about CIM.  What then do other suggest?
Kory Wheatley
Posting Member

« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2008, 03:03:38 pm »

Actually I would almost rather run a flat marathon with no downhill to see how I would do.  I ran the Silicon Valley Marathon last November in California and it's pretty much flat (2:45).  But I didn't think I had enough recovery time from St. George when I did this one 4 weeks later. 
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2008, 03:12:22 pm »

I'm the same as Kory- flat!
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2008, 03:15:12 pm »

For what it's worth:
http://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_read.php?thread=2705125

Seeing as to how most of you got messed over by the wind, you might want to avoid a point-to-point course as a redemption race. It would be a shame to run CIM, and then have a headwind the whole time again.

But other than being point-to-point, and not as fast as it looks, I've generally heard very good things about CIM.
Sean Sundwall
Posting Member

« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2008, 05:34:21 pm »

A redemption race is only a redemption race if you give yourself enough time to recover and then train again. But for those who must scratch the itch, Memphis may be your best bet. Also take a look at the Rocket City Marathon in Alabama (http://www.runrocketcity.com/). You know you want to go to Alabama. The winning time last year was 2:27...not bad.
Craig Green
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2008, 11:25:11 am »

Hey guys- I'm originally from Sacramento and I've run CIM as a relay 3 times in the late ninetees and then the full marathon back in late 2005. I know the course almost as well as any course in Salt Lake.

I didn't do very well on the marathon because I underestimated it. The downhill is really slight and only in the begining miles as you come out of Folsom. The first half has rolling hills and the last half is pretty flat. I think the last 10 miles are very flat with the exception of a bridge that you have to cross to get over the river by Sac State.

In terms of wind- you have to be careful. Folsom is basically east of Sacramento, so the course goes east -> west. I can tell you that an east wind in Sacramento is very rare, and a west wind is very common. Especially in December if there is bad weather. That part of the country isn't particularly windy if there is a high pressure sitting over CA- you just get some sea breezes in the afternoon to cool things off occassionally in the summer. But keep in mind that Sacramento weather is kind of like UT weather- very dry in the summer and very wet in the winter. December can be wet. If it's a clear day, the weather is pretty ideal. Bottom line- there will be no tail wind.
Scott Hughes
Lurker

« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2008, 12:33:38 pm »

I have looked over a few marathons coming up in the west in December and January;
7DEC Tucson Marathon, last year winning time 2:24:59  1027 finished. This is supposed to be a fast downhill race.(2200 foot fall)
7DEC CIM Sacramento, last year winning time 2:14:30  4740 finished. Looks like a slight downhill race. See other comments above on this one.
18JAN PF Chang's Rock n Roll, last year winning time 2:14:13  6499 finished. Flat- very slight grade up for first 12 miles then slight down.
31JAN Arizona Desert Classic, last year winning time 2:51  59 finished. Gradual up (300') in first 9 miles down 200' to half way point then turn around. This is outside of Phoenix in Surprise,AZ. Very small...
So far I am liking the Tucson Marathon; small at just over 1000 runners with a good fast course. Has anyone been to this race or really know what the course is like?
jtshad
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2008, 01:48:00 pm »

I have heard good things about Tuscon.  I have a friend who BQ'd there this year the she went on to run a solid race at Boston with an injury.  She seemed to really like it and thought the course was a fair and faster course.
Scott Hughes
Lurker

« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2008, 03:59:32 pm »

Thanks jtshad,
The only thing I don't like about it is the sunday race.
I love that it is not too big.
I think if a group of runners went down there there is a good chance of taking most of the tops spots since last year a 2:24:59 won it. The top ten places ranged from 2:24 to 2:52.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: