Fast Running Blog
May 03, 2024, 02:16:15 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Correct pacing coming back from long injury  (Read 5358 times)
Jason
Lurker

« on: January 09, 2011, 09:49:37 am »

I suffered a sfx in August 2009 and since then I have been going on and off running and I finally used a garmin today on my run and realized that I might be going too hard.  I had been running without a garmin since the injury so I wouldn't be aware of my pace and just run by feel, and today what felt like a easy pace was around 6:40.  Is this too fast to run daily?  My 5k time pre-injury was 16:50.   I was fitted with orthotics and have been running with them for a few weeks now (45-50 mpw). 
James Moore
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 03:01:37 pm »

That's spot on for a typical day I would say. You should be slower for long runs except as part of marathon training. My typical strategy for daily runs is too start out slowly and gradually pick it up.  If you do that then you should "land" on a good pace for yourself.
Jason
Lurker

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 07:36:14 pm »

My coach thought that I should be going around 815 for my easier runs and 7 mins for the steady state runs.  I thought that this might be a little slow.  I figured that 730 might be more appropriate since I'm coming back from an injury?
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 08:46:57 pm »

According to Tinman, if you are a 17:00 5k-er, your "in shape" moderate days should be 6:57, easy day should be 7:20, and very easy should be 7:50.  Plus or minus, of course.  But your easy pace sounds more like a moderate pace to me- I would expect at least 2 days a week to be 7 min pace or slower.

And as the Kenyans say, there is no such thing as too slow a pace on your recovery day.  Seriously- if you're going 8-9 min pace cause you aren't feeling great, that's just fine.  It's better to go too slow on your recovery days than too fast.
Jason
Lurker

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2011, 08:47:29 am »

Thanks for the advice Jon.  It's been a very long comeback and kinda strange.  I have been to 7-8 different doctors but no one can find anyone wrong with me, but I have been using orthotics for the past 8 weeks because one leg is weaker than the other and pronates excessively without them.  The pain is there when I'm not running, after about 2 minutes into the run, it disappears only to return a few minutes after the run.  I did 9 and 8 miles the last two days at 7:30 on the treadmill (switched over to the dreadmill for the last few weeks bc there aren't too many straightaways without snow in my town, the softness feels much better on my legs, and I tend to run too fast when I run alone). After speaking with someone who is helping me with my training, my week is going to look like this:

Sat-9 easy
Sun- 8 Easy
Mon- 7 with 3 miles at 6:35 pace
Tues-9 easy
Wed- 8 steady state around 6:55
Thurs- 8 easy
Does that look like a better schedule for someone in my condition who is trying to build a base and restart to see if the slower paces allow my legs to get stronger and even out?  I don't plan on doing any racing until the spring, but stay on the treadmill for a while and when I feel comfortable, transition back outside.
steve ashbaker
Lurker

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2011, 09:27:20 am »

Lower the mileage by a couple of miles every other day like 5-6 and just run easy like your jogging..  If the leg is ok, run the other days a little more and at a medium to steady effort.  Let the pace come to you.. don't force things so much.  You can run hard once a week or so if the injury is healing but remember you need to develop the aerobic system.  I have seen guys run sub 15:00 5ks on 70 mpw with the majority of their miles at 7-7:30.  Physiologically speaking the minimum pace to produce an aerobic stimulus for that time is around 8 min/mi. In fact the great Lasse Viren (27:40 10k) ran much of his winter base at 8/min pace.

steve ashbaker
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2011, 12:49:12 pm »

I agree with Steve- if you're really trying to come back from an injury like that, you will get the most gain from aerobic runs rather than speedwork.
Jason
Lurker

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2011, 03:02:43 pm »

Alright thanks for the advice guys.  I think I'm just a little bit anxious because I'm 23 with no job and waiting to start grad school next fall, and I haven't been able to run for so long.  I'm just surprised I'm running after this mess.  I kinda wish one of the docs were able to make some kind of diagnosis so i would have something to follow other than just trying different paces, shoes, and orthotics trial and error style. 
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: