Fast Running Blog
May 03, 2024, 10:25:00 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: marathon training in havasu heat  (Read 3666 times)
ED
Lurker

« on: September 29, 2010, 08:58:47 pm »

How can I train for a marathon when it's 75 degrees at 5AM mostly on long runs 10 miles or more?
Dave Holt
Posting Member

« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 07:39:11 am »

One thing we've learned in Southern Utah is... there is nothing you can do about the heat.  Just get up early, hydrate, and try and get used to it!
Maurine Lee
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 08:28:01 am »

I also recommend using ice under a hat to help keep you cool when running.
Chelsi
Lurker

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010, 02:05:16 pm »

Also from southern Utah, I would ditto the try to stay hydrated comment. And, expect the first couple of weeks of the heat to feel really tough. It takes a while for your body to adjust to cooling you down from running and from the external heat. I've survived some 90* runs (at 5 am)--not something I like to do, but it is doable.
Jennifer Schmidt
Lurker

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2010, 07:08:45 pm »

I am not from Southern Utah, but lived in sunny, humid Florida for 11 years and now live in hot and humid Georgia.  You will get used to it.  As the others said, stay hydrated.  When I lived in Florida, my friends and I used to start running at 5:00am as well just so that we were done or almost done before the sun made its presence.  My first few weeks of training here were brutal and I just told myself that in two hours I would be done or I would just think about what I was going to do when I finished.  The one thing that I have learned about running over the past few years is that it is very much a mental game.

Stay cool and I hope that your training goes well!

Sincerely,

Jennifer
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: