Fast Running Blog
May 19, 2024, 07:20:50 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: CYTOMAX  (Read 4378 times)
allie
Posting Member

« on: September 09, 2008, 07:51:49 pm »

I am sure this has come up for discussion before, but I just want to know what people who have used CYTOMAX in training and races think about this stuff. Is it really any better than gatorade? and do you think what it claims is true... i.e. "lowers lactic acid level by 40%" "stabilizes power output" "reduces perceived exertion" "reduces oxygen consumption rate (more VO2-max remaining) at the same performance level" etc, etc.

If this is all true, I can't imagine why everyone doesn't use it. So for those who have, did you notice a difference? I know many elite/Olympic runners use it; Deena Kastor is an example. I bought some small sample packets today to try during my workouts over the next couple of days. If I really notice a difference, I will probably stash some along the TOU course. Otherwise, I am fine with the free gatorade at the aid stations. Let me know your opinions!!!!!
Superfly
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 07:57:14 pm »

I've used it for years. I love the stuff. However it's kind of my little secret. I don't think you'll really notice a big difference in just one or two workouts but it does work. I've used it the last three years during the STG marathon. You just reminded me... I'm out and need to go grab some!
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 09:30:54 pm »

To see if it really makes a difference, wait until you reach a plateau in your fitness, and then try tempo runs on the same course at the same time of day with the same fatigue level both with or without Cytomax.
Dustin Ence
Posting Member

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 10:01:36 pm »

I've used Cytomax the last two years at St. George and believe it has helped me.  I have also used SportBeans, which I know a lot of people say stay away from mixing Sports Drinks and GU's, SportsBeans, etc.  Anyway, I've found the combination to work ok for me. (Cytomax, SportsBeans, but I'm still a rookie at running marathons)  I struggle with taking GU's but have learned to force them down usually near a water stop.  I can handle most GUs if taken with water.
James Winzenz

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2008, 11:13:20 pm »

I am a big fan of doing what you are used to and what your body can handle.  I only drink gatorade, plus I take gels on my long runs, so I just drink the gatorade at the aid stations and take gels with me.  The most important thing is - if you are going to do it, make sure your body can handle it, and then get used to doing it.  Don't try something new just before a big race.  The end result could be less than desirable.
Kory Wheatley
Posting Member

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2008, 10:23:27 pm »

I've heard from several that this is better than Gatorade and Powerade.  I need to breakdown and try it.  I like the new gatorade G2 stuff.
adam

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2008, 06:46:08 am »

reduces percieved exertion: just about anything can do that if you believe it can...new shoes, new shirt, old shirt, smelly socks, headphones, cheering crowds...thats why its a "percieved" exertion.

as for the 40 % reduction in lactic acid: first, lactic acid build up is not necessarily a bad thing. more and more studies show its has more positive effects during exercise than negative ones we normally want to associate with it. Second, the lactic acid reducers probably last only a short period of time (ok for a 3000m race or so), since 40% reduction would be quite high, and the concentration of the reducer found in the drink would also have to be very high or effecient in order to maintain a 40% constant reduction for a duration of a longer race.

That being said, if you like it use it. But, make sure you practice with it more to where you completely trust the drink for your race. You never know how the drink will hit you at mile 20 unless you've been there before.
Marcie J.
Lurker

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2008, 06:39:25 pm »

Clyde,
Does Steve carry it at the store? If not where do you get it in SG?
Superfly

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2008, 09:29:28 am »

Steve doesn't carry it. I buy mine at GNC in the hall or mall I guess some call it.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: