Fast Running Blog
May 19, 2024, 07:28:47 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: TOU - 1st Marathon  (Read 4230 times)
Jose Jimenez
Vocal Lurker

« on: August 12, 2008, 02:30:27 pm »

Top of Utah will be my first Marathon and I was wondering what people's opinion of the marathon was.  I have heard nothing but great things about the Marathon and was wondering what you all thought.  I am especially interested in finding out what you think about this Marathon for a first-timer like myself.  My goal is to finish, hopefully in less than 4:30 but finishing is ultimately my goal.  So my main concerns are: 

• How difficult is the second half of the course?
    How accurate are the mile markers?
    How cold is it at the beginning of the race?
    How organized is the clothes drop-off service?
    ow many port-a-potties at each aid station?
    How organized is the overall race, especially at the finish?
    Is there a good size crowd of spectators throughout?
    Any other pros or cons
?

Your opinion is appreciated...
AndyBrowning
Posting Member

« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2008, 02:45:12 pm »

TOU was my first marathon in 2004 and even though I hit the wall it was a great experience. 

• How difficult is the second half of the course?
The second half of the course isn't that much more difficult than any other marathon (except St George) except for the fact that it is very tempting to start out aggressively at TOU because of the gentle downhill during the first half of the course.  If you do this, you will pay for it in the end.

• How accurate are the mile markers?
Very accurate as far as I can remember.  If you wear a Garmin, you will be off by a little bit because the canyon winds a lot and it is difficult to run the tangents correctly.

• How cold is it at the beginning of the race?
I ran it in 2004 and the start temperature was perfect but it was 80 degrees by the time I finished.  When I ran it in 2006 it was 24 degrees at the start.  Expect and prepare for anything.

• How organized is the clothes drop-off service?
Very organized.

• How many port-a-potties at each aid station?
I think that there are 2 port-a-potties at each station.

• How organized is the overall race, especially at the finish?
TOU is a very well organized race from start to finish.

• Is there a good size crowd of spectators throughout?
The first 14 miles of the course are closed to traffic so there are very few spectators.  Once you hit the small towns, there are a few people out watching but overall there is very little crowd support.
[/list]
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2008, 02:56:00 pm »

Second half of the course: rolling but not difficult, other than a long hill at Mile 19 or so. Be prepared for this hill, be patient going up, and you will be rewarded with a nice downhill for the next mile to recover. Most years you will get a tailwind from Mile 13-15, which helps. You will definitely run the second half a couple minutes slower than the first, assuming you run an even effort.

Mile markers: quite accurate. The course is USATF certified, and they place the mile markers at the certification points. There are one or two that we suspect to be about 50 meters off, but the vast majority seem spot-on. Be sure to run all tangents though, otherwise you will run an extra quarter-mile while in the canyon. If you don't run tangents, each "mile" will be 1.02 instead of 1.00

Temperature: Most years you will want to be bundled up in a jacket, gloves and hat. 40 degrees would be typical, and stripping down to your race clothes can be painful. A couple years it was actually quite comfortable at the start, which is bad because comfortable start = hot finish. Once you get out of the canyon, it gets more comfortable, so you may want to wear layers and shed them as the race goes on (just don't count on getting those clothes back).

pre-race Clothes drop-off: I've never had a problem with this in 5 years. About 15 minutes before the race, strip, throw your clothes in your goodie bag (which has your name and race number on in for indentification, and then throw the bag through a bus window to a volunteer. At the end of the race, your bag will be sorted by number, and fairly easy to find.

Portapotties: Not sure. Check the website, as I know they say which aid stations have them. Usually two or three at a station, I think. I've never used one, since it's far easier to just pull over and go.

Organization: the expo venue is too crowded, but the race itself is well-organized. It always starts on time, and has a good finish line. Lots of food, massage tables, and like I said earlier, it's easy to find your clothes bag afterward. Sometimes there are volunteers around to help with that.

Spectators: don't count on it. The first half of the course is closed (which is great), and there will be a few people sitting out on their lawn chairs throughout the second half, but this is NOT a spectator course.
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2008, 07:49:39 pm »

Jose- Andy and Paul have done a good job.  I'll add my two cents on a few other areas:

How difficult is the second half of the course?
Like they said, the key is to not go out to fast.  Since this is your first marathon, my advice would be to go out slower than you think you should (maybe a lot slower).  Don't get caught up in the excitement at the start.  I would suggest running 10-30 seconds slower per mile than you think you are capable of for the first 13 miles.  It should almost seem too easy.  Then you'll have a good second half- much better than hitting the wall and losing 1-2 minutes or more per mile at the end.

How cold is it at the beginning of the race?
They have a giant heated tent at the start.  If it is cold, sit in there.  Like Paul said, it can be cold when it is actually time to start and you have to take off your clothes.  If you run with them, drop them off at an aid station and you MIGHT get them back (not guaranteed).  At the start, drop your clothes off early- don't be one of the people who tries to keep them on until 1 minute before the race starts.

How many port-a-potties at each aid station?
2 per station in the canyon.

Spectators- not a lot, but the course winds enough after the first half of the race that your family/friends could cheer for you at at least 2-3 locations if they really wanted to.

It's a great race- you'll love it.  Just start easy and you will finish strong and have a great time.
Jose Jimenez
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2008, 09:09:52 pm »

Thanks to all for the good info.  Sounds like I made a good choice for a first one.  Now I just need to finish getting ready for it....
Kelli
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2008, 09:37:19 pm »

You will do great, Jose!  You have such a steady pace when you run, I would not be too worried!

I have only run this marathon, so I have nothing to compare it to, but i thought there were planty of spectators for the last 6-7 miles!  They were out in force on the main roads and there were quite a few in the neighborhoods, too.  There was at least enough to keep me motivated!

And, as the porta potty queen, they have two at every aid station until you near the end where they did not have them at every station and there was only 1.  I think the website lays it all out for you if you are worried!  And, there is always McDonalds...

Take it easy on the foot.
Jody Hinton
Lurker

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2008, 07:26:39 am »

Thanks everyone for all the info.  I am planning on running TOU as my first marathon as well and the advice is perfect!
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2008, 10:00:17 am »

I personally prefer spectators only in the last 6-8 miles. Some of you can already guess why.
Paul (RivertonPaul)
Posting Member

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2008, 04:09:55 pm »

Great marathon and organization.  I have paid for going out too fast on this course, so I agree with what has been said.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: