Fast Running Blog
May 07, 2024, 05:17:19 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Pre and Post-Run Hydration  (Read 4336 times)
adam
Frequently Posting Member

« on: October 14, 2007, 05:43:44 pm »

My brother-in-law (a cyclist) was asking me over the weekend what runners drink before and after a workout. I told him it depends on the runner, but most common with everyone would be: water, sports drink, or some kind of specialized drink (ie, not a drink you can get a common store like gatorade/powerade). So,

What do you drink before a run and when do you drink it?

What do you drink for a recovery drink and how soon after the workout do you drink it?

Is there any particular reason you pick this/these drink(s) and methods over others?

Lulu
Lurker

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2007, 10:02:10 am »

OK, I'll bite. Right before a run, most often I drink water. During the day I hydrate with green tea with mint and honey (often quite dilute) and later in the day I drink fruit juice spritzers that I make myself. I fill a cup at least 3/4 full of sparkling mineral water and then add 100% juice (usually cranberrry-peach from Whole Foods) to taste. After a long run I have been using Endurox lately but am planning to experiment with other recovery drinks. For rehydration after a hard effort lately I have been making palmegranate-blueberry juice (100% juice) spritzers, as described above, because of the wonderful antioxidants that juice has. For long runs, I use Hammer nutrition products because they have mostly long-chain carbs that don't cause a blood sugar spike. They don't taste the best, but they really work for me. I am curious to see what other people do.
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2007, 10:08:46 am »

I'm pretty much a water guy.  I drink a lot during the day at work (often 6 or more 20 oz cups in the summer).  Then I drink some more before my run, and water during my run.  After, I'll drink more water or sometimes mix some of the powdered gatorade.  I will drink gatorade before, during, or after long runs once in a while, and also have some GNC "Endurance" drink that I will drink after a long, hot run on occasion.  Tastes nasty but has all kinds of good stuff in it.

Water- I drink it because it is free.  I usually only do Gatorade if I feel like I need some extra sugar or to help me drink more if I know I need it, and because it is cheap and available.
Craig Green
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2007, 10:18:21 am »

This is a little crazy, but after a hard run we make up a batch of "Fit Fuel", which is basically the same as "Loco Liquor" for those of you that have run with Locomotion.

It consists of:

Skim Milk
MaltoDextrin Powder (1 part to every 4 parts skim milk)
Pure Protein Powder (w/ Glutamine) (1 scoop)
Creatine (just a pinch)
Cocoa (1 tbsp)
Artificial Sweetener (usually Splenda) (to taste)

Ted Leblow
Posting Member

"Don't give up...don't ever give up." - Jimmy V.

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2007, 06:55:03 pm »

Pre-run nothing much just a glass of water first thing in the morning and then out the door.

Post-run for harder or longer runs I drink Endurox R4 or a slim fast type drink. They both accomplish the same thing as they both have a 4:1 protein to carbo ratio that is supposedly very good for muscle recovery and repair. I drink within 30 minutes of finishing the run as this is when the muscles are supposedly most receptive to this for repair purposes.

Not certain this works wonders but I think I notice a difference in faster recovery when I do use it.
Chad
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2007, 09:16:22 pm »

I drink fruit juice spritzers that I make myself. I fill a cup at least 3/4 full of sparkling mineral water and then add 100% juice (usually cranberrry-peach from Whole Foods) to taste. After a long run I have been using Endurox lately but am planning to experiment with other recovery drinks.

Lulu-during the hot summer days we always mix sparkling mineral water and cranberry juice.  We call them "coolers." 

As to the topic of the thread, I drink a little water before a run and always carry a single bottle Ultimate hydration pack while running with some gatorade. I look like a dork, but i'm used to the feel of the pack after many years of use. 

After a run, I use Endurox. I actually crave it.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: