Fast Running Blog
May 16, 2024, 09:31:31 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Getting back in shape  (Read 3159 times)
breanna cobler
Lurker

« on: January 03, 2009, 10:04:21 am »

I have had to take a little bit more than the past 2 months off of running. First I had shin splints and was able to cross train for about a month with an occasional race here or there but then I got Strep throat, mono, and my tonsils out so I wasn't able to do anything for the last month. Now I'm starting to feel good enough to try to run again and wanted some advice on how to build back up. I'm excited for track season and really want to get back in shape. Last time I had to take a break from running I came back too fast and got shin splints. I dont want that to happen again but I really want to start running again. What do you guys think is a good number to start at.
April G
Posting Member

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 07:07:13 pm »

I am guessing track season starts in March?  If so start out as slowly as you can stand it!  1 or 2 miles a day for a week or two, then 2 or 3 miles a days for a few weeks, all at recovery pace.  This will have you up to 5 or 6 miles a day or maybe more by the time track season starts.  I had a lot of shin splints in high school when I ran.  The cause--running on concrete(sidewalks).  Stay away from speedwork until track season.  When I was in high school my coach focused on a lot of speedwork and pretty low mileage.  The result was that I was injured all the time and only ran one full season of track and two full seasons of cross-country and the speedwork only gave me marginal improvement.  I have a tendency to try to start things off too fast and hard so I am preaching to myself too!  Also watch your nutrition and make sure you are getting enough calcium, calories, and iron--especially since you have been ill.  Get enough sleep! Are you wearing the right kind of shoes for you?  Find out.  I am not a professional by any means but my high school running career was plagued by stress fractures and shin splints so I am thinking of all the things I did wrong looking back.  Good luck with your comeback and I hope you have a rockin' track season!
April G
Posting Member

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 07:14:34 pm »

Okay I just read your blog and you are AWESOME if I had half your talent....Anyway I can't wait for the real experts to chime in and help you out--they will know a lot more than me!
breanna cobler
Lurker

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009, 11:55:51 pm »

April, thanks for the comments. Your points about nutrition bring up a good point. I'll have to remember to start taking my calcium and iron again. Also since all of this has happened I've lost a little over 5 pounds and alot of it is muscle. 5 pounds is quite a bit for me since I'm 5'4" and 107 lbs. What are some good ways to gain weight. I know I could just eat a whole bunch of junk but I'd rather gain the weight back by eating healthy things that aren't super high in fat. Junk food can be good but it sure does make you feel awful when you eat alot of it. What are your/anyones thoughts? I tried drinking a protein shake today that was high in calories since eating still isn't very comfortable but what are some other foods that could be good for this?
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009, 11:04:54 am »

What April said is correct. Ease into it. Gradually rebuild the base. Then worry about speed. Patience is the key.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: