Fast Running Blog
May 17, 2024, 03:04:53 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Running and Addiction  (Read 15349 times)
Bob
Vocal Lurker

« on: November 04, 2008, 06:14:59 pm »

Just curious, how many of you fellow runners feel that running helps you fight or offset addiction(s) you may have?

I feel that it does for me personally.  I think that I have an addiction to food linked to emotional eating behavior I learned as a child.  Running keeps me from gaining weight, but I do punish myself for eating too much by running more miles.  I know that's not a healthy view and it's a constant battle.  I had several relatives, including my father, that were alcoholics (weekend binges types) as well.

I know it's a personal question so you don't have to go into any details.
Benn Griffin
Posting Member

« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 07:57:59 pm »

Running IS my addiction.

I don't smoke.
I don't indulge too much in beer.
I don't do much of anything...
but eat, sleep, work, read, write.. and RUN!
April G
Posting Member

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 08:40:10 pm »

I have been a smoker off and on for most of my adult life(more on than off).   Running has made it possible for me to quit smoking permanently.  When  I am running it becomes my outlet, and I don't even crave cigarettes.  Running makes me feel very good.  It helps lift my spirits, and I sleep much better.  The last 3 months or so have been when I really got into running and fitness again--I want to see my children grow up and I want to set a good example for them as well.  Smoking is my big vice, and I feel better about quitting this time than ever--because of running.  Running is a new addiction of sorts for me--I have been having a problem with my ankle for 6 days that has kept me from running and I am having withdrawals!  I want to run so bad, it is unbelievable.  Right now I am keeping myself sane with an elliptical trainer(UGH) and hoping this ankle heals quick!  Good news--no cigarette cravings, just RUNNING cravings!
Benn Griffin
Posting Member

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008, 05:01:41 am »

Yeah I've battled an injury about 11 months now. And I miss running a bunch, just started back to it in October actually. But I really think running for most of the people on this blog is a way of life, and borderline addiction. Trust me. I've seen how cranky some of our peers get just by having to cut a run short :-P Got to get those endorphins!!
Eric Day
Posting Member

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2008, 07:40:38 am »

Running has become my addiction now.

As a previous smoker (for a long time), this addiction is way better.
Jeff Linger
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2008, 11:07:33 am »

I chewed tobacco for over 15 years. My wife made me quit. I didn't want to quit. I still don't want to quit. I started running in the evenings after dinner to lose weight and to exhaust my body so that I could simply fall asleep and not think about chewing. It is requiring more and more miles to have the same effect. I've become addicted to running. But I'm still addicted to tobacco, I just don't use it. I basically have an addictive personality, so it more a question of what focus will occupy the attention of that personality.
Eric Day
Posting Member

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2008, 11:59:07 am »

Every day that passes, after a run, it feels like if smoking was part of my long past life.
I crave smoking less and less everyday, and that feels soooo good.

The first month a had to count the hours that I had not smoked to keep me going forward.
Benn Griffin
Posting Member

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2008, 10:10:21 pm »

Running has become my addiction now.

As a previous smoker (for a long time), this addiction is way better.

I agree. Running is a sweet addiction!
Eric Day
Posting Member

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2008, 09:00:48 am »

And the post-running effects last much longer !!
Man, I feel great today!  Cool

Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2008, 03:02:19 pm »

Running is not an addiction. Addiction by definition is a harmful compulsive behavior. Addictions destroy either the mind or the body, or both. Running, when done right and in combination with a proper recovery regimen builds both.
Benn Griffin
Posting Member

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2008, 03:50:47 pm »

But running is an addiction for me.

When I don't run I get moody, get the chills/fever, and feel like junk. (i.e. withdrawal affects).

And the "runner's high" leaves you craving more.. we are all addicts here that's why there are so many people that crave more miles. More endorphins, more of "nature's LSD"
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2008, 03:39:09 pm »

Then drinking water is an addiction as well. Try going without - you'll have withdrawal symptoms in a few hours. Sleep would be an addiction as well. Severe withdrawal symptoms in 24 hours. The worst one is breathing air. It takes only a minute for the withdrawal symptoms to become problematic.
Bob
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2008, 04:05:17 pm »

I use to have the opinion that running was an addiction until I finally realized deep down that it was truly a blessing.  That's why I posed the question as the running (positive) fighting the addiction (negative) and not addiction replacing addiction.

The reason for my question is that I feel that people who participate in endurance events do so for reasons beyond the simple health benefits.  Deep down inside there thoughts or negatives that running somehow fulfills for the individual.  I'm not saying that we are all angry runners that were abused when they were children.  Perhaps it's an addiction or maybe a search for empowerment.  For me, it's fighting a tangled web of depression and addiction.
dave rockness
Posting Member

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2008, 08:04:13 pm »

I view running as a very healthy outlet.  At the same time, I definitely understand the "addiction" component.  Is running healthy when it takes priority over family?  Does it make you moody with friends or family when you miss a day or two?  I've been known to rearrange my entire day to fit a run...would I do the same to help my neighbor in need?  The healthy benefits have been a blessing to my life, yet I have to discipline myself so as to not let it "take over"- family, social life, mission projects, etc. 
Benn Griffin
Posting Member

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2008, 09:12:06 pm »

Eh it's just like potato po-tot-o..

what's an addiction for some is a lifestyle or pasttime for others, eh?

I know that running is an addiction and I get grumpy when I go without it. That's all I know.
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: