Fast Running Blog
May 02, 2024, 10:22:44 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Athsma-like symptoms associated with fast downhill running  (Read 1997 times)
Joe Furse
Posting Member

« on: October 04, 2011, 01:35:47 pm »

I'm not sure if this belongs here or on the "injury" section.  So, at Mile 18 of SGM this year I experienced for the third time in less than two years a situation where, while running fast and losing elevation quickly, I felt like I could not get any oxygen.  I had to consciously try to keep from hyperventilating and I experienced what felt like my heart skipping beats.  I was feeling just fine up until that point, and it all happened very suddenly.  It seems to be associated with losing elevation quickly at a fast pace after an extended period of problem-free running, but it doesn't happen most of the time, and only seems to happen in races.  I also noticed it both times I have run the Logan Peak Trail Run during the descent down Dry Canyon (mile 25ish).  It also seems to make me feel sick to my stomach, though that may be caused by other things.  Has anyone ever had this happen to them, or heard of it?  If so, does anyone know how to keep it from happening?

I am not too worried, but my mom wants me to go to the doctor.   Roll Eyes
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: