Fast Running Blog
May 06, 2024, 03:43:09 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hip/back injury 6 weeks out from marathon  (Read 6160 times)
Meadow
Lurker

« on: August 27, 2008, 01:00:57 pm »

Hi all,

I am training for the St. George marathon, my first, and was involved in a fender bender last week after my Hobble Creek half marathon. I had instant hip pain after the accident, but once I stood up I didn't really notice it anymore, by Sunday evening/Monday morning, the hip pain was much more noticeable so I decided to notify the insurance about the injury and decision to seek medical attention. I went to the chiropractor this morning, having not run since Saturday, and found out that my hip and lower back were out of alignment. I have quite a bit of swelling in the tendons around my hip so he wasn't able to adjust me fully and he does not want me to run, walk long distances or ride a bike until mid September at the earliest.

I am supposed to run my 18 miler this week and the big 20 miler in two weeks, but those are most likely both out. Do I call it quits for St. George and maybe plan a January marathon or do I just wait and see how treatment goes and figure out some changes for my training plan? My chiro is not a runner, he says I'll be running by October but of course that leaves very little training time Sad.

Thanks for any advice,

Meadow
Meadow
Lurker

« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008, 04:17:54 pm »

So I think I'm going to get a second opinion, maybe a PT or someone that is a runner/treats runners. Anyone in Utah County you can recommend?

Thanks!!
Kim Lee
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008, 04:30:17 pm »

I am so sorry to hear of your injury!  I would definitely get a second opinion!  I don't know of anyone and I don't have any advice for you.  I just wanted to tell you I hope you get better soon and can still run SGM!  I'm sure someone out there has the right person for you to go to!  Good luck!
Josse
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008, 06:56:56 pm »

I would go see Dr. Brady the phone # is 3752420.  Everyone I have sent him to has liked him and he deals alot with athletes.  I highly recommend him myself.
Meadow
Lurker

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 07:06:59 pm »

Thanks Kim and Josse, I will call Dr. Brady tomorrow and see what his opinion is Smiley.

Adam R Wende

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2008, 07:43:40 pm »

Josse, What is Dr. Brady's practice?
Josse

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2008, 10:50:29 pm »

He is a Chiroprator, but is trained in all sort of things like ART, accupuncture, gratson, he uses electric stem with the accu., and is board certified in sports injuries.  I think he is one of the best injury doctors I have ever been to.  He probably does a whole lot more than that as well.  He is great at massage and deep tissue.  Let see he knows his stretches, and these are stretches that I thought I was doing right but he tweeks them and it makes them so much more affective.  Is that enough?
Adam R Wende

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2008, 06:46:58 am »

Sounds like a true Renaissance man. My best friend from high school is also a chiropractor but lives in Chicago... It sounds like they went to similar schools that got them a little bit of everything. If this knee thing doesn’t leave me soon I’ll have to see if he can squeeze me in.
Meadow
Lurker

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2008, 05:04:02 pm »

I just wanted to say that I saw Dr. Brady today (and Josse too but I chickened out and didn't tell her it was me) and he was awesome.

Thanks for the referral! 

Michelle Lowry

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2008, 05:09:56 pm »

Wow, I am late in this discussion but I was at Dr. Brady's today too.  So was my husband at a different time.  So we provided four of his appts today if you count my hubby.  I am sure he didn't tell you to keep off it for a month Smiley
Meadow
Lurker

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2008, 06:28:25 pm »

Too funny, Dr. Brady did tell the assistant "she is another St. George runner" then he said "we have a lot of people running St. George coming in lately." I just said "yep, it's popular" hehe.

He did not, he told me to take it slow and easy and he is going to watch me run on Monday and see if there is something he needs to fix with the way I run. He thinks part of the problem is something underlying that has been going on for awhile. I'm excited that I found someone that isn't just after my money  Wink
Josse

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2008, 09:37:19 pm »

Where you the one sitting on the couch filling out the papers?  You should have said hi!
Meadow
Lurker

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2008, 08:08:48 am »

Yes, and I know, I'm a dork. I put you down for referring me but I only know your first name, hehe.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: