Fast Running Blog
May 06, 2024, 05:05:48 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Foot Pain  (Read 5705 times)
Christi
Lurker

« on: June 22, 2008, 12:15:41 pm »

Went on a Sat. long run. Just last month I ran Hurricane Half, but then cut mileage for a few weeks.  I'm now increasing mileage for Bryce 1/2.  My 12 miler was great- felt good throughout, nice easy pace.  An hour after my foot started hurting to the point where its uncomfortable to walk.  The pain is in the top of the foot, left side ( a couple inches below pinky toe)  From everything I read it looks like a stress fracture.  Probably from a combination of increasing weekly long run and running in very worn out shoes (I think this is the bigger issue)  Does anyone have experience with this? What can I expect for recovery time? Any tips? THANKS!
Josse
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2008, 12:32:18 pm »

If it is a stess fracture they take anywhere from 4-8 weeks to heal.  I have never hadd one (knock on wood), but one of my friends had one in her foot and she took 3-4 week off running and then eased back into it.  She would run only if it didn't hurt.  You would have to go get a bone scan to see if it really is a stress fracture.  The only other possiblity would be tendonitis.  I would crosstrain like a mad woman, and you should be ok for St. g.  Get a good calcuim supplement, that will help the healing.
Michelle Lowry

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2008, 01:23:30 pm »

I would get it professionally diagnosed.  It's hard to help something heal if you don't know for sure what it is.  I hope its not a stress fracture, but if it is you can pool run with no stress to the foot.
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2008, 04:17:20 pm »

It could also be a bruised foot, often caused by tying the shoe too tight.  Take a look at this: http://fastrunningblog.com/forum/index.php/topic,325.0.html

If it is a stress fracture, non-impact cross training or rest may be required- deep water swimming, elliptical, etc.  They can get better in as little as 3 weeks, depending how soon you catch it.
Christi
Lurker

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2008, 10:16:02 pm »

Thanks for the feedback guys (and gals!) Its feeling a little better today, although I did take 800 mg IBProfen so that's probably why- ha. I'm going to stay off it tomorrow and see if I can ease into running.  If I can't run at first I'll do spin class & other cross training.  Its not tender to the touch, just when I walk on it.  Do you guys know if there's a way to tell if its tendonitious vs. stress fracture? I know I'm asking you to be my doc.  If it still hurts end of the week I'll go to doc, but I'm hoping its something minor! Frustrating since this is a key Bryce Half training week.  I'm also going to check out that link to tying the shoe too tight- thanks!
Josse

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2008, 11:43:19 am »

The only way to tell is to get a bone scan, or wait it out.
Steve Morrin
Posting Member

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2008, 11:59:46 am »

If it turns out to not be a stress fracture, it could also be that your shoes might not give enough support. I had pain in a similar area, and my coach told me to get a gel liner to put in my shoe. It gives a lot more support than the sock liner that comes with running shoes. Ever since I started using it, I haven't had any more pain in my foot.
Christi
Lurker

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2008, 11:57:06 pm »

Its still sore, but better every day.  I have noticed which shoes I wear to work and run in really make a difference! I think I will get a gel liner this week like you mentioned Steve.  I'm almost certain this injury was caused by worn out shoes that didn't give enough support.  This past week my foot is really sensative to different shoe styles.  Flip flops without arch support are the most uncomfortable (which I usually live in the summer)
Sirenesque
Lurker

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2008, 10:03:49 pm »

For a stress fracture, do a hop test.  If you can hop on the foot it is not likely a stress fracture.  I would likely suspect peroneal tendonitis, generally feels like someone is driving a nail through the side of your foot when you try to run on it.  Massage the peroneal muscles just above the lateral side of the ankle bone, I would guess you will find them to be quite tender to the touch.  If it is a stress fracture, you are looking at least four weeks on non weight bearing workouts.  Good Luck!
Christi
Lurker

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2008, 07:32:00 pm »

Sirenesque- thanks for your input.  The pain is exactly where you describe on the side of my foot.  My husband (who's a nurse) also thinks it may be tendonitis.  I did the hop test with no problems so I'm thinking its not a stress fracture.  Its getting better SLOWLY, hurts whether I run or not so I'll keep on running (slow, easy runs). 
Cody Draper
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2008, 08:07:06 am »

Be very careful and let it rest as much as possible.  I think you have the same thing I have.  It took a good month for it to heal for me.  Something that has helped is a TENS device (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transcutaneous_Electrical_Nerve_Stimulator).  Pool running is also something that has helped me a ton!  Check out my blog to see what I did.  Injury was on memorial day.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: