Fast Running Blog
May 05, 2024, 11:23:50 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Winter Training after injuries  (Read 3215 times)
Benn Griffin
Posting Member

« on: November 28, 2009, 05:57:02 am »

I have had a variety of knee and ankle injuries the last few years and just recently pushed too hard in the Turkey Trots and have onset of achilles tendinitis I believe in my left ankle. My question is looking forward to 2010, should I take a week or two off, wait until student teaching is done and then start to concentrate on winter training of about 20 miles a week ? I don't like treadmills, and I first got pain in my ankles again after the treadmill run a few days ago.
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 12:40:40 pm »

Benn:

I prefer to avoid time off as much as possible. It might mean that you cross-train, or just run less or slower, but not a total time off. Go by feel. Start with a 2-3 mile jog at 12:00 pace, then play around with the volume and intensity until you find the right balance - something that allows you to maintain a level of fitness while still allowing the injury to heal at a decent rate.
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 04:11:51 pm »

My two cents is, if taking a week or two off during this hectic time of your life will help you heal and run full strength, that may be preferable to pushing it and having a nagging injury.
Benn Griffin
Posting Member

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 06:42:32 pm »

Thanks guys. I've taken off since Thursday's Turkey Runs..

Now my right ankle is okay but it's my left that's been bugging me. I am thinking about trying to jog 2-3 miles tomorrow after student teaching. Should I shoot just for a 20-30 min run pain free nice and slow?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: