Fast Running Blog
May 06, 2024, 02:59:52 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Training During Student Teaching  (Read 5367 times)
Benn Griffin
Posting Member

« on: October 07, 2009, 06:30:14 pm »

So after a decent summer mileage after 18 months off of running, I have started to find it hard to get runs in . I have student teaching every morning 7am to 3pm and then Monday and Friday nights I'm gone at school or work all night. The other weekday nights are filled with endless hours of lesson planning = no training time. Would I get more out of doing longer runs on the days I do get out? I just think that 4-5 runs a week isn't going to happen until I'm done in December. Right now I can really only manage about 3x days of running a week. Should I shoot for 3 x 10 mile days instead of 5 x 6 milers? I like longer days anyways as most of my races are longer distance. Plus long term goal of BQ (tries not to choke while laughing at this newbie thinking he'll ever BQ) Thanks!
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2009, 12:03:02 pm »

On a busy day park 3 miles away from school. Run those three miles instead of driving them. Then run back when you are done with work.

Relax a bit on the lesson planning. Just like with everything there is a point of diminishing returns. I believe the students learn more from what kind of person you are and how much you care about the subject matter than from the lesson planning techniques you employ.

Also remember that you learned to speak English without your mom and dad planning any lessons and you speak it just fine. English teachers in other countries with all their lesson plans cannot make their students even barely conversational. Go to your local car shop and talk to a car mechanic. Ask him how much he learned from a well-planned lesson during a classroom instruction.

Even in a more "brainy" field such as computer programming, it is rather amusing to watch a college graduate without experience attempt to prove that he did not waste his tuition money. His mind is full of lofty concepts, but he is unable to properly apply them to solving real-world problems. After a year or two he finally learns to program by actually doing it.

My point is that it is more important to be around and work with somebody that already knows the subject in a natural environment than to merely sit in a classroom and listen to a well-organized presentation. So with that in mind, I hope you can relax, and not feel the need to overdo it to the point that you cannot run.
Dustin Ence
Posting Member

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2009, 12:29:16 pm »

As a fellow teacher I can understand some of the stresses you are going through.  Student teaching isn't easy and I know you want to do the best job you can, which is important.  However, I think if you can manage even 20 to 30 minutes a day of some running not only will this benefit your running, it will probably help clear your mind a little and possibly make your lesson planning and other issues related to student teaching go better. 

I have come up with many great ideas while out on a run.  Usually I keep repeating the idea or assignment in my mind until I can get home and write it down.  As important as the curriculum is, I still think teachers can share many life experiences which can be of value to the students and running does provide us with plenty of experiences to share.
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2009, 12:35:19 pm »

I'm don't completely agree with Sasha.  I'm glad that my teachers 1) weren't stinky and sweaty because they ran to school, and 2) took proper time to prepare lessons rather than wing it just because they care about the subject.  The best students may be able to get by if you wing it, and it may work if you have a class of 5 students, but trying that with a full classroom would be interesting.  Especially since you are a student teacher who is being reviewed/observed (I assume), I would not skimp on planning.  But that's just my opinion.

On your original question, just do the most miles you can and try to make any runs you can do quality miles.  I'm sure as you get used to planning that you will indeed become more efficient and have more time for other things.  You can always get up a few minutes earlier in the morning- you get used to 4 am or 5 am runs.  And Dustin's idea of planning on the run is definitely good- you can get some great ideas and look at the big picture while running!

And give yourself some credit on BQ- you can do it!
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 01:56:01 pm by Jon Allen » Logged
Benn Griffin
Posting Member

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2009, 05:28:05 pm »

I would do the running to work thing, but I sweat... a lot!! Would not be pretty. Also I kind of agree with you Sasha, but the problem lies in that it's a beuracracy. Sad So you have to play by their rules. Student teaching is a 16-week interview. You eat, sleep, breathe whatever they tell you. i.e. I just had to put together a 200 page.. yes page TYPED unit plan for a unit I planned on teaching in about 7 days.. Makes 0 sense. I spent ten hours yesterday after a full 8 hour day at school typing up lessons. Although, I agree with Jon too that Ss will appreciate teachers that are prepared because if you weren't they'll rip you apart.

Benn Griffin
Posting Member

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2009, 05:28:31 pm »

I guess night running will have to suffice. Off to another night run at the track. Doh!
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2009, 02:08:02 pm »

Benn:

This is why I did not choose teaching as a profession :-) I could possibly figure out how to live off teacher's pay supporting a wife with six or more children, but I absolutely cannot handle bureaucracy.  When somebody wants me to sign a legal paper I have a strong urge to whoever thought of the idea to a public place and whip his back with a hard whip with vigor. Few things stir up violent thoughts in me, and paper is one of those few.

In fact, when I was interviewing for my first post-collegiate job I went to Novell. They had 5(!) people interview me. That took a lot of time. At the end, I asked them what kind of ballpark figure of an offer they would make if they made one since I already had three other offers to choose from. They refused to give me a number, but gave me an application form to fill out instead. I looked at the form ( about 3 pages long),  it was more than I could handle. They already had my resume, why did they need the stupid application form! I said, forget it,  and went with another offer.
Dave Holt
Posting Member

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2009, 01:56:04 pm »

Benn, all this other stuff aside, you have chosen an amazing profession.  Will you get rich? Absolutely not.  Will you love every day?  Anybody that says yes is full of it.  But will you be able to influence the lives of more people in a positive way than probably any other profession?  Now we get to say YES!  Teaching is not easy and student teaching is absolutely brutal.  I remember student teaching and my first year of teaching were just absolutely vicious.  I needed sleep, sleep, and more sleep because it is just so demanding - mentally, emotionally, and even physically - to be giving your all to these kids all day.  So very best of luck to you.  Enjoy every positive moment that you can.  And find some way to get yourself a little run in each day, because (like Dustin said) it will help you clear your mind, think things through, and just save your SANITY!
Benn Griffin
Posting Member

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2009, 05:13:20 pm »

Well I feel like teaching is in my blood. I love the kids, and it's a lot of work, but I think I can still get runs in regardless. I won't be able to get the mileage I want during the year, but perhaps if I get consistent training during the summer, I can one day qualify for Boston Marathon! If not, screw it. I'll just run and run and run. I want to get out there and run a 50k, 50m, 100k, and 100m. Maybe I'll go do the Antelope Run.
Jennifer Schmidt
Lurker

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2009, 06:41:03 pm »

Benn,

Welcome to teaching!  I am a teacher as well and love it.  I didn't go through student teaching as you are, but during my first year of teaching, I was going to graduate school full-time.  I had one class per semester that was considered an apprenticeship and was reviewed and graded throughout the year.  It was rough, but I maintained my running during that time.  I wasn't running the amount of mileage that I am doing now, but I made sure that I got ran at least 5 days a week.  I am not going to lie, I was tired for the entire school year, but those runs helped me maintain my sanity.  It is a great time to really clear your head and really think through what you need to do each day.  Teaching can be extremely rough, but extremely rewarding.  I just started a new teaching job and either run after school or I get up at 4:00am so that I can get to the gym by 5:00am.  It is obnoxiously early, but I never regret it.

Good Luck!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: