Fast Running Blog
May 09, 2024, 07:34:17 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Four weeks to 1/2 marathon  (Read 4111 times)
jeff
Lurker

« on: March 29, 2008, 10:54:18 pm »

Complete self training. No chance to run with others. Not sure I'm on the best track. Race is four weeks away in conditions far hotter than I'm used to (+40 degrees). I just would like a reality check as to the plan I have been following and suggestions for the next four weeks and beyond.
jeff
Lurker

« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 10:59:48 am »

No thoughts?  I guess what I would really like to know is a 1:45 goal in the Ave of the Giants 1/2 marathon a realistic goal. I ran 1:48 in Seattle in November and have averaged over 50 miles a week since then. Like I said I live in a small, isolated town so have no one to train with and most of the local races are only high school kids.  Just trying to get a feel for what is reasonable based on my age (50's) and training to date.  Thanks.
Dale
Posting Member

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2008, 11:39:57 am »

Training alone builds character.....no one else around to actually *see* you get your runs in every day.  The only thing pushing you on hard runs is yourself.  Think of it as good mental training.  I'm not quite as isolated but have the same situation.
The Seattle course had some decent hills to it and it looks like your 1/2 marathon does too.  Based on your previous 1:48, your last 5K, and recent training, I don't see any reason you won't be able to better 1:45 assuming you stay healthy.  You seem to have the same trouble w/ Tempo runs that I do but I'd keep them up....they'll probably help the most and hopefully make the 1/2 marathon pace seem a bit easier in comparison.  Actually, it almost seems like 7:30/mi Tempo runs are a bit fast for you and that they should be in the 7:45-8:00 range?
I don't think the temps will cause you too much of a problem.  You're probably way under the ideal temps in AK and the race will probably feel a bit warm but shedding normal clothing layers should help.  Plus I'm thinking the shaded nature of the course will prevent direct sun overheating.
All in all I'd say you have a very good chance.  Keep on training and stay healthy!
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2008, 12:01:40 pm »

You did a 5 mile tempo at 7:30 pace. With the amount of base training you've been doing, you should be able to slow down to 7:40 and complete the full half, especially in a race situation when you have a pack to work with or some fading runners to pass. Which would give you 1:40:30. So you have about a 5 minute buffer for the bad conditions and hilly course.
jeff
Lurker

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2008, 05:41:56 pm »

Thanks guys! The encouragement means a lot. I can only get away a couple of times a year to run in bigger races, so that seems to add to the internal stress of not wanting to  waste  the chance. I use the carrot of fall and spring races as motivation to run 6 days a week year round.  I guess the race takes on more significance than it should when you fly a long way to participate. We after all do this for fun!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: