Fast Running Blog
May 14, 2024, 04:36:00 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: ST. George Marathon Fast Running Blog Pre race Dinner  (Read 18018 times)
Walter Brown
Lurker

« on: September 05, 2008, 10:04:30 am »

Ok last year on the eve of the marathon the fast running blog put on a dinner for all those bloggers out there.  They had a good showing of 50+ people show.  It was hosted by Clyde and Mik'l last year at their house.  I talked to Sasha and Steve Hooper and they told me to post this to see if any St. Georgian was willing to host a similar party this year at their place.  Im guessing that the response will be similar if not more for this year so it could be overwhelming.  Please post a comment if you feel like you could or would like to host this party.  I can supply the Pasta and a couple of pots and a propane camp chef style cooker.  We can make this a pot luck style dinner to keep the preparations at a minimum. Im sure no one wants to clean up a mess all night before the big day.  Its a great way to put the names on this blog with faces! 
MikL
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008, 12:07:25 pm »

Well here's my idea. It really was overwhelming last year and this year I'm definitely not up to it again. And I don't think it would be fair to anyone else either, especially everyone getting ready to run the next day. So my suggestion is this:
Pasta Factory has a separate room you can rent and they do an all you can eat buffet with linguini noodles, marinara and alfredo sauce, chicken and vegetables, plus salad, breadsticks, and drinks. You have to have at least 20 people and it's $11.50/adult and $5.75/child. It holds 50-60 people. We probably wouldn't have that many at a time so it would work. I realize it's kinda pricey, but for all you can eat plus a place we can all mingle and then not have to worry about cleanup, I think it's worth it. I think we would need to reserve it pretty soon, so I guess everyone that is interested in this should post and we can see if we have enough interest. BTW, the food there is SO good.
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 12:24:13 pm »

Mikl - Sasha will absolutely HATE that idea. Donate that money to the blog instead. Tongue
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2008, 02:32:37 pm »

Good idea, Mik'L.  I would have suggested invading a Subway, though we certainly all would not have fit...  Smiley
Kim Lee
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2008, 03:27:42 pm »

We don't necessarily need to have dinner together.  What if there were a park where we could just mingle and kids could play?  Everyone has their own pre race rituals for dinner anyway.  Just a thought. 
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2008, 03:58:56 pm »

I like the park idea.
Michelle Lowry
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2008, 04:26:05 pm »

I like the idea of renting the room for pasta.  I would go, but I am solo so it'd just be a count of one for the Lowry family.
Kory Wheatley
Posting Member

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2008, 04:41:50 pm »

I ate at the Pasta Factory last year and we had to wait for over an hour.  I bet the reserved room is already been taken.  The food is good though.  But I definitely wouldn't get the all you can eat, because I don't stuff myself the night before :-).   I simple pasta and bread would be good.
Marcie J.
Lurker

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2008, 05:26:42 pm »

I think just getting together at a park is a good idea. Too hard for runners to host it. Those you want to eat and do potluck can and those you dont can just mingle. ( I like to eat my own thing and pretty early on pre race night). 
Josse
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2008, 06:04:58 pm »

I think the park idea is a good one, we could just have it at the marathon finish.  We could still do a potluck or something and just throw it in the trash at the park.  We should start it ealier like 4 or something.  But I would be game for the Pasta factory as well.  They have great whole wheat pasta:)
Kelli
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2008, 07:15:11 pm »

I am all for either idea.  Maybe someone in St George should check really fast and see if the Pizza and Pasta Factory is even an option.  We could even do both (eat and then meet at a park).  I am all for eating earlier as well (by 5).  Just my 2 cents.
Kory Wheatley
Posting Member

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2008, 09:44:09 pm »

Why not have the dinner/party after the Marathon or meet after the marathon.  That way everyone can get to bed at a decent time marathon night and not worry about eating something they normally don't eat.   Then we can all pig out afterwards.  Then I might not be going if I can't get a place to stay so my two-cents really doesn't count.
MikL
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2008, 07:03:48 pm »

FYI, the Pasta Factory is available. Doing it after just never works, too many people leave and have other things going on. I don't really care what you want to do, I'm just throwing out an option! The reserved room doesn't give you any other options than what I originally posted, that's what they serve and that's the price to get in and eat.
Marcie J.
Lurker

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2008, 08:18:01 pm »

I think that would be a good option, those you dont want to eat could come and just say hi and hang out and those that do can get a very good meal. I agree that after the race its always a little crazy. I am good with whatever. I will probably just eat at home but would love to come say hi to everyone!
Marcie J.
Lurker

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2008, 08:23:44 pm »

Mik'L if you dont want to eat will they still let you come in and hang out??
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: