Fast Running Blog
May 14, 2024, 10:16:21 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Valley of Fire Marathon, Half Marathon and 10k  (Read 3622 times)
Tracy Whelchel
Lurker

« on: June 04, 2008, 02:14:49 pm »

Forgive my blatant free advertising but as a new race director, I am willing to take advantage of any forum to talk about my race.

This year race day is November 22nd and for the first time ever, we are offering chip timing.  We also have changed the course (rangers insisted) and are incorporating the prettiest part of the park.  The half and 10k are on a totally closed road while only the second half of the full is on the main road.  Runners received a long sleeve tech shirt and finishers medals.  Awards are three deep in age groups but since we are a small race we don't offer monetary awards .......yet?

Hope some of you will consider it.

Sweetiepie

race website:  www.valleyoffiremarathon.com
Dave Holt
Posting Member

« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 06:22:33 pm »

Although I haven't ever run this race, I have heard nothing but great things about it - and I am very glad it is back as I wouldn't mind hitting the 1/2 or 10K this year.  Hopefully, a lot of people get on board and support it!  Good luck Tracy.
Adam R Wende
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 09:06:30 pm »

Tracy, No need to appologize. The blog is about running and without race directors like you being able to put on races for us to run my training would be a lot less intense. Thank you for posting this race and I hope it fits into my schedule. (An endorsement by Dave is like gold in my book). Good Luck!
Marcie J.
Lurker

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 11:58:30 am »

I would defintely be willing to give it a try again if some improvements have been made. I ran it back in 2004 and did not have a great experience. One shuttle bus showed up and then left, so they were transporting runners to the start by a cattle truck so the race started about 1 1/2-2 hours late. So I was very low on fuel by the time the race started and I cant say I loved the course. That out and back is a killer. I have not ran it since. But I am always up for a challenge and would be willing to give it another shot in the future.
Logan Fielding
Lurker

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 01:24:45 pm »

Tracy,

If you can promise more busses to shuttle people, starting on time, decent course, and everything is well organized with good volunteers, I will seriously consider being there.  I did the half in 2004 and my mom ended up shuttling people in our Suburban to the start.  We also got started late.  The course was not blocked off and I had to deal with big motor homes the entire race.  I vowed never to go back but if you make some serious changes a few of us in St. George would love come down.
Gary Culver
Lurker

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2008, 09:39:46 pm »

Tracy;

Hope the race went well.

I'm moving to Mesquite in Dec (08) ... I'm a former RD of the Crown King Scramble in AZ and would like to become involved (volunteering) with this race (as well as running) next year.

Gary AKA Barbie
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: