Fast Running Blog
May 12, 2024, 08:39:41 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: starting running over.  (Read 2320 times)
kevin marinkovich
Lurker

« on: June 22, 2011, 07:43:00 am »

I have been running for about 5 years now and am thinking of starting my running from scratch again.  I have been thinking about this for some time now and I am coming off of a few injuries and it seems it is a perfect time to start over.   I started running to quit smoking and it snowballed from there. I have ran every distance from 5k to marathon and even have done Ironman distance triathlons.  But, I have never been that "fast". I am thinking on moving back to 5k-10k distance and focusing on that distance to get faster and then progress to longer distances. I think initially I was always trying to go longer and longer and didn't focus on quality training and speed. I am thinking it would take some amount of time and am willing to do it. Has anyone done this?  Any experience with time and how exactly how to approach something like this.  I was just trying to get some other thoughts on what others would think of this. Thanks in advance.
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 09:08:49 pm »

Kevin- I think that is a great goal.  Runners too often focus only on the marathon, forgetting how hard it is to PR at shorter distances, as well (like 5k, 10k).
  As for how to do it- mainly build your base miles as much as you can.  Then add some speedwork.  Probably don't need long runs like you do for a marathon (I imaging 10-14 mile long runs are plenty for 10k PR).  But you really need the base, first- I just set my 5k PR last month during a solo-track run off of only base miles with a few long tempos.  Solid base is far more important than speedwork, even for 5k's.  But once you have the base, speedwork really adds the icing on the cake.
Have fun.
James Moore
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 12:46:13 pm »

Every year I try to spend at least 6 weeks focusing on building speed. I think it really all depends on what you enjoy. Personally, I view my marathons and halves as the real goal because I can be more competitive in them. On the other hand, you can race the 5k a lot more frequently.

To build speed I would study up on plyometrics and form drills. I would also just try to do strides after/during you runs. I often end runs in an all out sprint just as "speed maintenance".

Try a workout like this 5*1k with 90 seconds rest at "dream" 5k pace. It shouldn't be that difficult but it will leave you gasping for air and it will work you out in ways you are not used to.

Basically, you should shake up your training several times a year. Doing the same thing over and over will lead to stagnation at best and injury at worst. I don't think it makes sense to do marathon style training year round. You'll find the many successful runners might only spend 6-12 weeks prepping for a marathon and the rest of the time focused on other things.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: