Fast Running Blog
May 05, 2024, 01:49:04 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Spectator questions  (Read 3186 times)
Michelle Lowry
Frequently Posting Member

« on: October 02, 2007, 05:33:23 pm »

Hi all,

My husband and three little kids are all coming down to support me in the St. George Marathon.  The organizers cite three locations (before St. George proper) for spectators:

Mile 7 Veyo

Mile 16 Snow Canyon North Entrance

Mile 21 Snow Canyon Parkway

I thought I would have my family go to mile 7, 16 and 21, but mile 7 seems too early for them to get to (around 7:33am for me), and the website cites that spectators at mile 16 likely won't get to the end in time.  Boy I would hope it would take them less time to drive the next 10 miles than it takes me to run them.  There must be bad parking/and walking issues. 

I was also thinking to have my family cheer me on at mile 24.5 or so, when I actually need encouragement, instead of being in the stands or close to the finish line where I likely wouldn't see them. 

So I would like open up a discussion on what are the best spectator sites and strategies.  You might help me with some of these questions:

1) How long should it take them to drive from St. George proper to Veyo, and do you need cheering on that early in a marathon?
2) Does anyone have experience with the Snow Canyon North Entrance spectator cite, and does it really make the spectators unable to see the end?
3) Are there any other sites the marathon organizers did not list, especially between miles 10 and 20?

Thanks all!
Kerry
Lurker

« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2007, 09:47:33 am »

I've been a spectator a couple of times, but I never made the drive up to Snow Canyon (mostly because my kids were pretty young at the time and they'd get tired of watching and waiting for my wife after about two minutes). As a runner, I really appreciate all the people that make the drive up because it really gives you a energy boost.

It's hard for me to believe that your family couldn't make the drive from Snow Canyon to St. George proper before you get there. Parking really isn't much of a problem between mile markers 24 and 25. After I finish, I usually pick up my daughters at the hotel and we drive up  along that stretch to watch my wife come in. We usually don't have much problem getting to the finish as she's coming in or shortly thereafter.
Dave Holt
Lurker

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2007, 09:49:04 am »

Anywhere you can get support is good.  My dad always drives up and sees me at Veyo.  Then he used to swing around (because you have to drive the back way) to Snow Canyon - but now SC is closed to private vehicles and you have to take a mini-bus through the park (I'm guessing this is why a spectator would miss the end ... the timing and everything).  Finally, he would watch at about mile 23 as I entered into town and then race down to the finish and catch me there also.  So, hopefully that helps some.
Craig Green
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2007, 10:33:45 am »

I never felt like I needed any support at Veyo. There is a small crowd there, but it's so early that you really don't need the boost. Besides, the amount of driving involved is significant because you can't drive along the marathon route.

Mile 16 (Snow Canyon North Entrance) has a larger group of spectators, and that's a strong point in the race where runners are feeling good 'cause they're at the bottom of the huge hill. So from that point of view, it's pretty neat to see a lot of upbeat runners.

Where you really need support is Mile 21 (Snow Canyon Parkway). There's some nasty rolling hills between miles 17 and 20. The hill at mile 19 is not as large as Veyo, but arguably more difficult. You could realistically support a runner at mile 21 and still have time to park and hurry to the finish line. It helps if you are familiar with St George and have a spot to park picked out before hand. But I would definitely make sure you have someone cheer for you at mile 21 if possible.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: