Fast Running Blog
May 25, 2024, 01:44:59 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: So you have to Crosstrian  (Read 3949 times)
Josse
Frequently Posting Member

« on: December 11, 2007, 11:45:30 am »

So after doing alot of crosstrianing this year I have learned a few things and though I would share.
1- getting through a long workout without dieing form bordum.  When I go and do a workout I want it to be a good one.  I use little tricks to get the best workout possible.  When I am on the spin bike I do standing intervalls (I have read and heard that standing while biking works the running mucsles better) I turn up the tension and ride while standing for 3-5 mins.  Then I take a 1-2 min break and repeat over and over again.  When I am on the elliptical I start out with a warmup for 5 mins and then I go into a backward/forward thing,  you can do differant combos like 5 mins back 5 mins forward then 4 and 4 then 3 and 3 and so on or I do 5 back 5 forward and repeat several times.  Then I will go into sprints where I go hard for 3-5 mins and easy for 30 sec. to 1 min.  I repeat several times and before you know it you have a good 45-60 min workout.
I also always listen to music, I don't think I would make it through without it.
2-Choosng something that you can do that doesn't aggrivate the injury is very important.  You can use the spin bike, elliptical, lap swim, or pool run I'm sure there are several more that can be added.
3-So you can finally run but you don't want to over do it.  I found that if I continued my crosstraining and did it before I went for a run it made me tired and I wouldn't go as fast or as far.  I also got the feeling I went farther than I did because my legs were tired.
4-I do more weight training, even on the injured area I just do it with very light weights and make sure it doesn't hurt.
I feel I stayed in pretty good shape doing this and was able to get back into running alot faster than not doing anything at all.  I  hope this helps and feel free to add anything you have found helpful when you are injured
Scott Zincone
Posting Member

« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2007, 01:57:03 pm »

I am currently following #2 right now since my achilles is hurting.  And I will follow #3 when  it feels better.  Last time I recovered from an injury I just "ran."  I believe I would have been better off doing it your way.  Hopefully in January I will do it right this time.

Adam R Wende

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2007, 07:30:41 pm »

Number four works the best for me. I haven’t weight trained regularly since college. Now I find the only time I get any lifting in is when I’m injured… It’s a shame because it really helps prevent the injuries in the first place. In all honesty I find it super difficult to cross-train. I know this fits in with Jon’s how to run a 100-mile week posting. But, I want to know how many people cross-train and how important they think it is. Meaning, is it worth “skipping” a run to get in the other form of training to them?
Josse

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2007, 08:56:59 pm »

Adam-I also find it very difficult to crosstrian (I would much rather be running), but when I can't run i have do something and I have found when I came back to running I can get into it faster without the risk of reinjury.  Plus I just go plain crazy not getting some sort of physical fitness in.  I try to keep up some sort of crosstrianing in even when I am running healthy, usually swimming I love to swim.  I also do weights on a regular basis,  only cut out the legs in the summer when I am running alot of miles.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2007, 09:02:15 pm by Josse » Logged
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2007, 09:33:12 pm »

I've tried cutting down mileage and doing more weights. I do not think there was a muscle group I did not hit and improve. The results were dismal. Endurance went down a bit, which was expected. But the speed did not go up at all! Nor were there any significant gains in the running economy to make up enough for the loss of endurance to run a PR in a 5K. My conclusion - the body is smart. When you run a lot, increasing the volume gradually  and letting the body adapt overtime, and are consistent over the years, your body strengthens itself the most optimal way for your body structure for the purpose of running. You cannot beat that with weight training. If weights are helping, I would be inclined to conclude it is because the running in the past has been sub-optimal.
Josse

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2007, 10:57:32 pm »

I actually do the weights so I can lift my 75 lb. daughter and not through my back out all the time.  But I do think it helps with upper body in the last miles of the marathon.
Michelle Lowry

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2007, 10:53:42 am »

Adam - I am of the opinion (and I think my college coach - Patrick Shane told me this) that running is always better than cross training if it is a question of whether to spend 1/2 hour running vs. cross training.  I cross trained and weightlifted in college until I hit the 70 mile mark, then my coach told me just to run.  The benefit of cross training and weightlifting is the potential injury potential, and everyone's body is different in that regard.  Some people can only handle a certain amount of miles before injury onset.  I start feeling it at about 70 miles.  I will try to go over 70 this summer and see if I can survive, but if I start feeling too hammered, I would consider cross training.

Which comes to my question:  What cross-training, if anything, can be done if you don't have a gym membership and you don't have a bike/elliptical or other equipment?  I do have weights and could do low weight, high reps and could try to make it aerobic by doing the reps quickly and always moving from station to station.  Is there anything else I could do if I felt inclined to cross train, or heaven forbid, if I did get an injury (or a surgery Smiley )?
Josse

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2007, 11:55:34 am »

The only thing I can think of if you don't have access to any machines or a bike is to walk.  I think how you are lifting is the best way to build strength.  Maybe you can swim laps in the bathtub:)
« Last Edit: December 12, 2007, 11:59:56 am by Josse » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: