Fast Running Blog
May 16, 2024, 06:23:22 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Benn and Emma's engagement!  (Read 4310 times)
Lucia
Lurker

« on: October 17, 2008, 01:12:52 pm »

"Howling Commando" Benn and his lovely girl Emma got engaged yesterday!
See their beautiful pictures and congratulate them on his blog: http://howlingcommando.fastrunningblog.com
Congratulations guys!
Kim Lee
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2008, 06:28:28 pm »

CONGRATULATIONS BENN AND EMMA!     Shocked  We were all rooting for you to get engaged!  Maybe we can continue the advice discussion that was started when Lauren and Lazlo got married.  I think the advice is good for us no matter how long we've been married.

I remember 2 pieces of advice from when I got married.  One lady who was of the larger size came through my line and said, "Be careful....I was your size when I got married."  I could tell she really wanted me to heed her advice and I have tried to do that.  The second bit of advice was from a lady who had just gone through a very public marriage difficulty that she had every right to leave her marriage for.  As she came through the line she pulled Tom and I close to her and whispered in our ears to "always forgive each other!"  I'm sure there was lots more advice throughout the night but those two were so heart felt and sincere that they have always stayed with me.

One more that I would add is to realize you will now be one.  If one has a problem or concern then both of you have a problem or concern.  Always confide in each other!  If you will always confide in each other there may be little difficulties that may come along but most likely the big, hard things will be more easily avoided. 

It sure is a great feeling to know you are both with your very best friend!  There will definitely be ups and downs but it's all worth it! 

Marion McClellan
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2008, 03:16:14 pm »

Yeah Benn!!!  FANTASTIC NEWS!!!!
My big advice is- if your mad... GO TO BED!!  When you wake up you will have either totally forgotten what you were mad about or you will have a more reasonable approach to the problem.
Advice #2- ignore ALL advice Wink

Never Give Up!!! Never SURRENDER!!!!
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2008, 03:35:01 pm »

While we are on the subject, a story, not sure if it is a true one or not, but very well could be true.

When a couple married the wife told the husband that she a had two boxes that he was never to look into because they had some things that were very personal. Finally after 60 years of marriage he finally got curious and looked. He discovered that the first box had a doily. The second box was full of money. He confessed to his wife that he did look and was curious to know the significance of those boxes.

"When I got married," explained the woman, "my mother gave me those two boxes and told me to make a doily every time I got mad at my husband." At that point the husband was delighted to think she got mad at him only once in 60 years. Then he asked about the other box. "That is the money from the sales of all the other doilies."
Marion McClellan
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2008, 03:56:58 pm »

That story is AWESOME!!! Smiley  I'm going to tell David when he gets home !

Benn Griffin
Posting Member

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2008, 04:20:54 pm »

Thank you everyone for such inspiring and insightful words! I am still "on my cloud" and am so truly lucky to have someone as lovely as Emma! At the same time I take great pride in having such understanding and encouraging friends in my FRBers. You guys and gals are the best!
Lucia
Lurker

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2008, 05:27:10 pm »

That is a funny story - In this world we live in, it would be inconcievable that he wouldn't open the boxes for 60 years!

Here's some advice for you NOT to follow (good one, Marion). These two people I know... let's name them... Lu...cinda and Tom, got married very young and so "inlove" that they forgot to ask each other some very important questions: do you want to have kids? Do you want to own a house? Do you want to settle down in a place? Do you have certain "ambitions" for your life and for your family? Those seem like pretty "basic" questions, but sometimes they can get lost in the whole being inlove thing, and they unfortunately come out at the worse times and can be a strain on the marriage. If you have someone in your church that you can approach and do some sort of pre-marital counseling, I'd highly recommend it. I... I mean Lucinda regrets that they didn't, and that not having discussed those issues beforehand was not very smart and her and Tom sadly parted ways. If we have kids, would you continue working or be a stay-home mom? When my parents get older, will they come live with us? Or would we move to take care of them? Would you be OK moving if I have a better job prospect? Are we going to live close to your family or mine? What if we can't have kids? Would we adopt? Ask, ask, ask and answer.

You seem to be a lot more mature and smart than Lucinda was ten years ago, so please don't let her story ruin your moment or your enthusiasm - you should be very excited and marriage is a wonderful thing, as so many amazing couples show it every day on this blog!!! I look forward to reading more about your fabulous runs and more news about the wedding!
Marion McClellan
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2008, 06:05:12 pm »

Wise council, Lucinda... I mean Lucia Wink  There are MANY things that differ between two people that are good and can still allow a family to grow in love and unity.  But there are some things that are SO different, that some really good premarital conversations can help TONS!!!  I feel very lucky with David.  I have known him since I was 14 and his family since I was 10.  We belong to the same church and were raised very similarly in the same city.  It makes a BIG difference in raising a family and a husband Wink

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: